Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bwsa - Nat Lofthouse Tribute

Smiley

Glad you enjoyed it Kent_white, We actually discussed you're post last night about being a member and having to come on here to find out where and when the next event is held, as a result I'm currently building a new data base so in the future we will be able to contact all members via email or post with personal invites to any BWSA functions, we will also be able to send out monthly newsletters like the ones we had last night,

So if you can just bear with us, hopefully we'll address all you're concerns by the time the next event comes around on the 22nd March (at a venue to be decided, any ideas ? we?re thinking, Atherton, Farnworth of Tonge Moor but are open to any suggestions ?

We welcome all comments whether it is criticism or even more criticism, We also welcome any ideas or better still, if you think you could help in any way, expect to be Press Ganged into service immediately :D

As for posting on the forums, we think it's imperative we continue to build up good relationships with all the forums, we're not here to compete we're here to compliment, you'll be surprised how many supporters who attended last night actually use the forums, they where alot more clued up than I anticipated, and don?t forget, some people still like to attend these type of events, just like some of us still like to attend live games in this internet/digital world we live in !

If you're thinking about Atherton as a venue, get along to the Atherton Arms and speak to Steve or Janet (mine hosts) thay have a very good function room and as Steve is a BIG Bolton fan I'm sure he would sort summat out.

If you don't want to go to see him, PM me with details, time, date, possible numbers and I will have a chat with him for you.

Edited by athywhite1958

So if you can just bear with us, hopefully we'll address all you're concerns by the time the next event comes around on the 22nd March (at a venue to be decided, any ideas ? we?re thinking, Atherton, Farnworth of Tonge Moor but are open to any suggestions ?

I'm not a member of BWSA so shouldn't really be sticking my nose in. However do you think you will attract more attendees by turning the monthly meetings into a road show. I would certainly think twice before travelling from Horwich to Atherton. Also I doubt that the club would be responsive to players going to various pubs in the back of beyond.

Another point is that some members seem not to be aware of last night's meeting. They are going to be really confused when the monthly meeting is at a different venue every time.

• Site Supporter

Well the last two have been listed as "Venue to be arranged" in the previous home programme so maybe sooner or later they're expecting a new venue.

Some folk will use their attendance as a badge of honour; BWSA 100%er!

Edited by MickyD

Well the last two have been listed as "Venue to be arranged" in the previous home programme so maybe roofs or later they're expecting a new venue.

Some folk will use their attendance as a badge of honour; BWSA 100%er!

Things will change next season, we will select all the venues in the closed season and publish an event schedule at the start of the season so everyone will know when and where we are !

We have discussed this with the club who are happy for the players to attend various venues/towns, these won't be 'back water' pubs, they will be reputable venues like the one mentioned by Athywhite.

I'm of the opinion that holding all the monthly social events at the Reebok is having a detrimental effect on the bwsa, and also devalues the Reebok as a?special venue? where the main event takes place (a bit like holding every round of the FA Cup at Wembley) plus there are a lot of supporters who find it difficult to get to Middlebrook on a cold December Tues night, then there's the cost of refreshments inside, which again can offputting, so by taking it on the road we can make ourselves more accessible to all supporters of bwfc especially in these tight economic times,

We'll still be holding the ?main? events such as the Christmas bash and the player of the year awards at the Reebok, but these will then be viewed more as a treat and less as the norm hopefully attracting more supporters ?

As for social networking, we are well on our way in that department with the launch of our brand new website www.thebwsa.co.uk also we can be followed on twitter @thebwsa and also facebook, so we are embracing all things new or trying to anyway

• Site Supporter

As well as the venue being a stumbling block to potential members, so also is date choice or, more to the point, day of the week choice.

If you pick a particular day of the week for your meetings, Tuesdays in this case, you rule out anyone who attends any other hobby on that day of the week.

If, however, you commit to three of each, Monday to Thursday during the year then potential membership will be opened up to a new group.

Just saying.

Quiz night Tuesdays. :thumbsup:

I agree with Biff and Micky's ideas. The notion of the Reebok being too hallowed to host it's supporters association seems a bit too DMB for want of a better descriptor. The function suites are there to be used. Also would suggest maybe twice year in different locations, although I don't know the frequency of your meets.

My personal take on the roadshow is a bad one. I think it will cause confusion and will lose more attendees than it gains. I could be wrong.

Maybe the BWSA has occasional micro-meetings on the road in between the bigger meetings?

My personal take on the roadshow is a bad one. I think it will cause confusion and will lose more attendees than it gains. I could be wrong.

Maybe the BWSA has occasional micro-meetings on the road in between the bigger meetings?

As much as I hate that phrase, you make a good point. I will probably go to the next one at the Reebok (if advance notice is given).

remind me of the aims of this mob

not sure how you can be a pressure group when you require the club to be onside

is nt the purpose of this to give fans the chance to aim their views direct to the club.

so when making a desicion these views can be taken into account.

it aint like downtown libya where they are trying to overthrow phil gadaffi, it is more like debenhams inviting custoers to say what could be improved about their stores.

is nt the purpose of this to give fans the chance to aim their views direct to the club.

so when making a desicion these views can be taken into account.

it aint like downtown libya where they are trying to overthrow phil gadaffi, it is more like debenhams inviting custoers to say what could be improved about their stores.

I'm personally not convinced that a supporters club as much of a place in the world of multi-million pound businesses, that are Premier football clubs - indeed the goings on recently at teams such as Liverpool and United have happened despite those clubs having vastly more bigger and well organised supporters clubs than we would ever hope to achieve.

Don't forget that something like 85% of income to clubs these days come from Sky and that clubs will obviously be more receptive to maintaining and maximising that revenue over and above anything the clubs fans may want!

I tend to think that supporters clubs can only influence at best peripheral matters and the club does just enough to keep them sweet as more as a PR exercise than being avidly interested in what they say and think.

• Site Supporter

Listen Phil, we're not budging with our demands. We have the power to empty the stadium, such is our power as voice of 22,000 supporters. We want cheaper tickets, free travel, cheaper beer, less hassle from the orange warriors and . . . oh, there was one other thing; hang on; oh, bollocks!

Oh, wait, yes I remember, could we borrow the Lion of Vienna Suite next month and maybe one or two of the players? Pleeeeeeeeeeease!

Its not just about over-throwing the regime and putting Undies in goals, Smiffs in the back four and Happy Wanderer up front, with free beer and naked cheerleaders on the touchline.

And its not just about getting things heard or sorted.

There is the social aspect of evenings like they've had in recent months where you get to see either a comedian, a quality compere, hear the views and get to ask questions of first XI players, have a pint, etc in the quality surroundings of the LOV Suite.

As Kent White put in his bit.... its a better alternative to a night in front of the TV.

HOWEVER, once the membership increases significantly and the meetings become far better attended - then we could possibly expect the Association to start putting things to the club with a bit more meat behind them, as opposed to previous where it was just the views of a small band of mostly elderly supporters.

Its not just about over-throwing the regime and putting Undies in goals, Smiffs in the back four and Happy Wanderer up front, with free beer and naked cheerleaders on the touchline.

And its not just about getting things heard or sorted.

There is the social aspect of evenings like they've had in recent months where you get to see either a comedian, a quality compere, hear the views and get to ask questions of first XI players, have a pint, etc in the quality surroundings of the LOV Suite.

As Kent White put in his bit.... its a better alternative to a night in front of the TV.

HOWEVER, once the membership increases significantly and the meetings become far better attended - then we could possibly expect the Association to start putting things to the club with a bit more meat behind them, as opposed to previous where it was just the views of a small band of mostly elderly supporters.

Well if it is such a good night and as the organisation is so important to you I would have thought you might have been bothered to turn out yourself!

Well I couldn't make it to the event in the end as I had a Vets footie game on Prem 5s.

No not me.

I can't see the point of it all myself - the club is a multi-million pound business and as far superior channels of communication with the supporters other than via a moribund supporters organisation that seems to have some grandiose idea of its self importance.

To be honest I think even internet forums are now out of date as a means of communication - let alone an unrepresentative and pretentious BWSA organisation who's average age is almost certainly a great deal older than the average age of those who attend at the Reebok. .

If people want to get together and have a natter about Bolton - then fair enough - we've all done that but pretending that they will one day have any sway over the club is just living in cloud cuckoo land as far as I'm concerned.

• Moderators

Your wrong, the consensus we get from the forums have been very positive about the bwsa, ok there are a few people who still have the perception of cardigans and werthers, but that will change.

Ask kentwhite to tell you the average age of the people there tonight(over 350 by the way)to pay tribute to a man who over 70% of us never saw play ?

Ask him if he'll attend our next event if we take it to Atherton or Farnworth or Tonge Moor ?

It will change as the cardigan wearers will be dead soon, that's the only thing we can predict with any degree of certainty. Apart from that, I'm with Slutty.

If you want to hold an event in TM then good luck to you, there's only 2 pubs - The Starkie and The Castle. And with due respect to them both as I was raised in Tonge Park, they aren't the best. You could use the Labour Club, if it's still open. They used to have hundred in for the dodgy satellite games.

I still don't know why they have to go on the road. They get the Lion of Vienna suite for free and there is more than adequate parking at the Reebok.

On the other hand if you want to get rid of the older members and turn it into a club for people who want to put as much ale as they can down their throats in the shortest time possible while shouting We are the one and only Wanderers....

I was chatting to a couple? probably in there late 40's early 50's at the event on Tues and I asked them if they saw the tribute night advertised on the forums....!

They looked at me as though I'd just accused them of swinging with Gary Megson and retorted.. ?No! we don't go in those chat room thingy?s, They?re full of kids and paedophiles...!?

When I?d stopped laughing they told me they?d seen a documentary about them on telly?. I had to explain that not all chatrooms/forums where like that?but they gave me the distinct impression they had no intention of finding out anyway?. I did ask myself later? should I have bothered?.! :nea:

I was chatting to a couple? probably in there late 40's early 50's at the event on Tues and I asked them if they saw the tribute night advertised on the forums....!

They looked at me as though I'd just accused them of swinging with Gary Megson and retorted.. ?No! we don't go in those chat room thingy?s, They?re full of kids and paedophiles...!?

When I?d stopped laughing they told me they?d seen a documentary about them on telly?. I had to explain that not all chatrooms/forums where like that?but they gave me the distinct impression they had no intention of finding out anyway?. I did ask myself later? should I have bothered?.! :nea:

Yes, right, like people in their late 40s/early 50s don't understand these things. People of that age were the ones who invented the bloody internet, you ageist pillock.

Yes, right, like people in their late 40s/early 50s don't understand these things. People of that age were the ones who invented the bloody internet, you ageist pillock.

Well I'm in my fifties and people of my age walked on the moon... but I ain't got a clue where I could catch the shuttle to get there ...!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.