Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Hot Water Boilers

Mounts Kipper

Never understood the cost of replacement. British Gas are daft expensive but everyone I've known has shelled out £2k minimum.

A decent boiler can be bought for £5-600.

Add a days ripout and install - 2 men £150 a day = £300.

Old boiler to the pikeys for scrap.

Struggling to find the rest.

Just had a quote down south

£2,100 - boiler cost was £1200, scale inhibitor + gadget £75, flue kit £150 ish

So £600-700 in labour which is still a tidy sum

Some other monkey quoted me £2,700, so about £1,300 labour for what could be a (long) one day job. Told him to sling his hook, and he came back practically begging for the job, said he could do it for £2k due to changing to a different supplier. Basically admitting he'd been attempting to overcharge me on what his bottom line was to the tune of £700. These people must think you are fucking stupid.

Had a bit of advice from a mate and I'm now going to have the system flushed before I consider new boiler checked my paperwork and forgot I bought new boiler 12 years ago so it should not be knackered that quickly and it's still heating water and the rads.

12 years isn't THAT bad for it to be ready for replacing - depends what type it is!

Why replace it then buddy if it's basically working?

• Moderators

mines 30 odd years old

i'm sure theres more efficient ones, but its cost me about a ton in 10 years for attention

if my pipework would suppor ta combi, i'd get a fresh one

as it doesn't, i'll put up with this til it breaks - sounds like a 747 taking off when it fires up!

• Moderators

in fact, i've just done some googling and maybe i could have a combi

what do i need to check - i'll get the plumber man in but itd be nice to have some (little) knowledge) first

i've got a boiler in the garage, for water and heating

tank on the upstairs landing

about 11 rads, 5 upstairs, 6 down

mines 30 odd years old

i'm sure theres more efficient ones, but its cost me about a ton in 10 years for attention

if my pipework would suppor ta combi, i'd get a fresh one

as it doesn't, i'll put up with this til it breaks - sounds like a 747 taking off when it fires up!

Mines about 25 years old, I had some bloke come and service it quite recently. He told me it was working fine, he said it wasn't efficient, but the cost of replacing it would be quite big as I would also need to change all my radiators as well (I'm not sure I understand why, soemthing to do with "flow" apparently) - anyway, he suggested I stick with it until the day it finally falls over, which could be in 10hrs, 10 days or another 10 years

• Site Supporter

Mines about 25 years old, I had some bloke come and service it quite recently. He told me it was working fine, he said it wasn't efficient, but the cost of replacing it would be quite big as I would also need to change all my radiators as well (I'm not sure I understand why, soemthing to do with "flow" apparently) - anyway, he suggested I stick with it until the day it finally falls over, which could be in 10hrs, 10 days or another 10 years

What are the odds on its broke before Xmas now he's had a look?

Call me a cynic but these things usually occur

What are the odds on its broke before Xmas now he's had a look?

Call me a cynic but these things usually occur

Same bloke has checked it every year for the last 5 years, so we should be OK (he's a mate of a mate and only charges £10 to servie it and check the emmissions) - the good thing is that he doesn't get involved in selling them if he can help it, so there is never the usual hard sell when he's mucking about with it