Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Conversating

smithills_gent

Blunders in my furry bollocks. You lefties never change.

"We can't tell Leon and Karl they aren't smart enough to go to Grammar School at 11 years old. It will hurt their feelings"

Crap. In your world, the bright ones get held back to be thrown in with the melange of moderately brights and dead thicks instead of being given the opportunity to progress and shine. I suppose this must be true of the ice cream selling sector is it?

I will say however that you are right in some respects. Decent head is highly desirable. You should take a Test for Kents.

Right... I don't consider myself a "leftie"

That is straight out of the nazi party handbook though. Should people have blonde hair, blue eyes and be good looking to get into your elitist school?

oohhh fuck it I've bitten again, but my point is valid

I wasn't being facetious, for once, Bolty. The extension of the school leaving age was a perfect opportunity for reform, not to a return to a two-tiered system like the old system of 11-Plus and Secondary Modern or Grammar Schools, but some other form of split into either academic or vocational/real world schooling (with some peripheral GCSEs or equivalent qualification dropped).

The teach to the middle approach means brighter kids from let's say, less academically inclined backgrounds, will still 'slide' and not achieve their full potential.

To say people are 'written off' by any split is arguably bollocks, I know people who did shite at school but went on to Higher Education and University as an Adult and came out with a 1st or 2:1, you're only 'written off' when they hammer the nails into your box. Similarly, I know folk who did pretty well at school/6th Form, went on to a University, dicked about for three years and left with a relatively worthless scrap of paper that bears no relation to the job/business that they ended up in.

Meanwhile lads/girls who left school at 16 and went straight into apprenticeships, were coining it in after serving their time and have gone on to bigger and better things.

To say that Comprehensive Education means parity throughout the system is also bollocks - there are huge differences in quality of school already. So why not a system of equal but different schooling wherein the divergence takes place at say 13? This is the age where many struggling pupils usually give up, and teachers (bad 'uns) sometimes let them (give up).

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Yori is correct, to a point.

I'm glad Bolty is far away in a land that time forgot so he can spout this rubbish until the cows come home.

The fact of the matter is that there were many who were left on the scrap heap, my mum is a chief examiner for the Cambridge board for GCSE English. Went to a secondary modern, basically given up on. 11 years old is too arbitrary an age it fails children and ghettoises schools.

It's far from perfect but rather in school streaming and the ability if children to rise and fail on their achievements over the full education system rather than being told where they belong at 11.

Anyway, it isn't coming back, despite that walking marshmallow Gove ( loved him at the getting booed at the NAHT conference, least e deserves) and pub quiz fact of the day, did you know Margaret Thatcher set up more Comprehensives as Education minister? Always make me chuckle that, must have pissed her off no end.

• Members

Reet then.

Half tongue in cheek merely to wind up no longer Crawdad. Half amused that I hooked some 'unexpecteds'.

For NIC's use of the 'word' - "ghettoise", I could really say 'I rest my case m'lud' regarding educational standards. WTF is that? Someone from the French town of Ghette I presume?

Being absolutely honest, I knew some relative geniuses at BCGS if exam results are to be believed. 10 A levels, 11 O levels type stuff. Common sense? Virtually zero. Didn't keep track of all but was aware of a couple who struggled career wise. The only prominence any of them rose to from my year was one married Paul Mariner and another became a Labour MP. All I know about anyway.

I would also concede that many who struggle at any school can suddenly bloom as they get older and often do very well for themselves.

The only point I would make, however, is that I strongly believe that there has been a massive decline in English proficiency since the demise of Grammar schools. If you want evidence, all that is required is to regularly read the forum you are currently reading.

Edited - 'land that time forgot'? Does that explain the strong economy I wonder?

Edited by bolty58

• Members

Right... I don't consider myself a "leftie"

That is straight out of the nazi party handbook though. Should people have blonde hair, blue eyes and be good looking to get into your elitist school?

oohhh fuck it I've bitten again, but my point is valid

Valid? Rabid more like.

Nazi party handbook? Thy brain is pickled young man.