Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Les Padfield Book?

tomski

Many of Megson's signings would have had decent residual resale values.

The club as a whole failed to maximise the opportunities via judgement calls or pure bad luck.

Cahill, Chung & Muamba being the three best examples.

I was never an Elmander fan and £8m seemed steep for him, but looking back, you've have thought £8m for a 70-odds caps Swedish international striker would have been good business.

Edited by Traf

do we have to pay over the odds wages to attract players - shouldn't be the case as wigan seem to manage it, but its not something we've been great at

I think teams like Bolton and Wigan etc will always have to pay over the odds to attract talent. Although to be fair to Wigan, they have managed to buy quite a few players that have been sold on for decent profit in the past, which is something we haven't been able to consistantly do for quite a number of years

The whole Cahill cock up does me in the most.

He went on to be England's first choice center back and champions league winner in a little over a season.

To think Everton got 23 million or whatever it was for that Lego headed piece of shit.

Cas are you and Gary special buddies or summat? I think your misguided by your hatred of OC as this recent myth that has surfaced that meggo did anything good is complete madness and quite untrue.

Quite simply the man squandered more money on transfer fees than any bwfc manager ever will again?

Cas are you and Gary special buddies or summat? I think your misguided by your hatred of OC as this recent myth that has surfaced that meggo did anything good is complete madness and quite untrue.

Quite simply the man squandered more money on transfer fees than any bwfc manager ever will again?

My argument to that is that his return on the pitch was pretty passable and that he met any targets set to him by the board.

What the club went on to do with the players he signed isn't his fault.

The whole Cahill cock up does me in the most.

He went on to be England's first choice center back and champions league winner in a little over a season.

To think Everton got 23 million or whatever it was for that Lego headed piece of shit.

Aye, but the difference was that Everton didn't need to sell....and we did. The whole issue was down to Cahill not having long left on his contract, I'm  not sure if this was the players doing or the clubs doing, either way we shouldn't have let his contract dwindle down so much

• Moderators

Aye, but the difference was that Everton didn't need to sell....and we did. The whole issue was down to Cahill not having long left on his contract, I'm  not sure if this was the players doing or the clubs doing, either way we shouldn't have let his contract dwindle down so much

he signed an extension though

it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't type of situation though

sell and the board lack amibition

let them dwindle/leave on the cheap and we have no ambition

if we could get £4M for him, would you cash in on Mark Davies now or keep as we need him?  

on the other hand, most would happily sell CYL for a loss now, but back before his injury it'd have been madness to sell him

in any case, perceived resale values don't mean owt, if you don't sell them

• Moderators

i belive the losses under coyle were equal to those under megson, despite relegation not hitting us (accounts wise) til after he left

megsons ppg was higher than coyle

he didn't relegate us

he may have been a cnut but his sense of humour appealed to me

in fact, he's the only ginger on this earth i have any time for

• Moderators

My argument to that is that his return on the pitch was pretty passable and that he met any targets set to him by the board.

i think tomski is upset cos megsons like his better looking younger brother

• Moderators

We've yet to sell a player since Freedman's been here.  You'd think somewhere within our squad we'd have someone that other clubs would want.  Or is it a case that they're pretty much all paid far too much?

thats about it

too much ambition, i tell ya

or

maybe they know too much about dastardly davies and thieving phil

#shakeshead

I take on board what you say but he ruined Elmander and didn't propel any of the signings on though. If we hadn't had the few seasons after through poor management again we wouldn't be saying this about Megson.