Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Not enough virtual memory.

Traf

So i can find out more go to start>>Run>>type "dxdiag">>ok>>save all information, attach it to an email and send it to simpson10657@gmail.com

if anyone needs any other support, im starting off a website/forum so people can request help. im not needed here.

• Moderators

Virtual memory isn't RAM, RAM is actual memory, virtual memory is other storage like hard drive space that is used as memory, like a swap file. It is used by the operating system, usually when you have loads of things running as you run out of real memory.

Zoz Jr, post anything factually inaccurate or even misleading again and it will get deleted. Even if you THINK you know what you are talking about, check on Google first as this isn't the first time you've spouted bollocks, bad advice is dangerous.

Traf, buy some more memory!

• Moderators

Traf,

On you desktop is the My Computer icon, right click that, select Properties and tell us what it says.

You may need to get hold of Ad-Aware and run that, see the other thread, that will never do any harm anyway - everyone should have it! Also, you may be having this problem as you installed XP over 98, not sure what you do about that.

• Site Supporter

bloody hell, 256 is not enough for xp. it tick over at about 160 basic so as soon as you open a couple of basic apps that takes close to 220 and if ya run any games that will easily break 300

my home pc ticks over at about 330 and my work one at about 520.

i would NEVER have any less than 512 really.

but try downloading startup inpector http://www.windowsstartup.com/ and removing everthing from starting at boot.

WTF does this mean? I get this message sometimes and my PC shuts things down.

What is it?

How can I avoid it?

Please help!

Traf, PC numpty.

Thanks for the dxdiag you sent me.

ok, first of all you should update directx because there is now a

newer version.

The registry information for the service provider 'DirectPlay8 Modem

Service Provider' is missing or damaged. You should reinstall

DirectX.

Display Memory: 32.0 MB <--- this is a very old graphics card also

windows xp might not be able to run properly with an old card.

remember i said MIGHT no promises there.

Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (16 bit) (60Hz) 16 bit, hmmm thats to do with

your card also, i reccommend getting a new display card. (make sure

before doing so)

also "DirectPlay8 Modem Service Provider" needs looking over. theres

something wrong with it.

Carlos: if you want a copy of the dxdiag let me know. this time if theres anything wrong dont go mad at me, just confirm what things are right.

Thanks

Zoz JR.

• Moderators

I fail to see how this could be a DirectX problem though so please enlighten me, I know nowt about it although I have no problems with people running the latest version of that.

Jr, can you post Page File line from the system tab of the dxdiag output, that's about all that is really useful here.

Traf, are you using your PC as a games machine? If so, I'll leave it to the gamers.

I fail to see how this could be a DirectX problem though so please enlighten me, I know nowt about it although I have no problems with people running the latest version of that.

Jr, can you post Page File line from the system tab of the dxdiag output, that's about all that is really useful here.

Traf, are you using your PC as a games machine? If so, I'll leave it to the gamers.

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

DirectX Files Tab: The file qasf.dll is an old version, which could cause problems.

The file iac25_32.ax is a beta version, which is unsupported and could cause problems.

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Music Tab: No problems found.

Input Tab: No input devices detected.

No problems found.

Network Tab: The registry information for the service provider 'DirectPlay8 Modem Service Provider' is missing or damaged. You should reinstall DirectX.

The registry information for the service provider 'DirectPlay8 Serial Service Provider' is missing or damaged. You should reinstall DirectX.

The registry information for the service provider 'DirectPlay8 IPX Service Provider' is missing or damaged. You should reinstall DirectX.

The registry information for the service provider 'DirectPlay8 TCP/IP Service Provider' is missing or damaged. You should reinstall DirectX.

----------------------------

DirectPlay Service Providers

----------------------------

Internet TCP/IP Connection For DirectPlay - Registry: OK, File: dpwsockx.dll (5.01.2600.1106)

IPX Connection For DirectPlay - Registry: OK, File: dpwsockx.dll (5.01.2600.1106)

Modem Connection For DirectPlay - Registry: OK, File: dpmodemx.dll (5.01.2600.0000)

Serial Connection For DirectPlay - Registry: OK, File: dpmodemx.dll (5.01.2600.0000)

DirectPlay8 Modem Service Provider - Registry: Error, File: dpnet.dll (5.01.2600.1106)

DirectPlay8 Serial Service Provider - Registry: Error, File: dpnet.dll (5.01.2600.1106)

DirectPlay8 IPX Service Provider - Registry: Error, File: dpnet.dll (5.01.2600.1106)

DirectPlay8 TCP/IP Service Provider - Registry: Error, File: dpnet.dll (5.01.2600.1106)

DirectPlay Test Result:

Zoz JR

I have 256mb RAM (I think) and XP and never had any problems.

Run Ad-Aware as it may be something naughty running so best eliminate that possibility.

I downloaded and ran Ad aware, it found 386 critical entries!

tryed removing them? :-s

• Moderators

Jr, go back and read my post and do that, exactly that and NOTHING ELSE, I don't want to read endless shit about DirectX, I want to know what the line:

Page File: xxxMB used, yyy MB available

says xxx and yyy are and fook all else. You even quoted my post and then uttely ignored it ](*,) Next time I'm gonna just draw pictures as it seems English doesn't work ](*,) :D

Here it is Carlos, the page file line you requested. Even somebody as PC illitereate as I understood what you were asking for!

Page File: 212MB used, 334MB available

• Moderators
Here it is Carlos, the page file line you requested. Even somebody as PC illitereate as I understood what you were asking for!

Page File: 212MB used, 334MB available

Thank you Traf, glad it's not me. That looks about the same as I have and I've had no problems whatsoever, even with my 256MB RAM. Maybe Ad-Aware has fixed things? I also run AVG free anti-virus software and ZoneAlarm to stop nasty things creeping in.