Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Hate Crime.


Recommended Posts

Scotland’s controversial new law. 
For or against?

The Hate Crime and Public Order (Scotland) Act 2021 creates a new crime of "stirring up hatred" relating to age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, transgender identity or being intersex.

If everyone contributing to any social media platform was required to declare their true identity, would things improve? 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Scotland’s controversial new law. 
For or against?

The Hate Crime and Public Order (Scotland) Act 2021 creates a new crime of "stirring up hatred" relating to age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, transgender identity or being intersex.

If everyone contributing to any social media platform was required to declare their true identity, would things improve? 
 

Good luck to those policing the next old firm 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, London Wanderer said:

Lots of misconceptions about this bill. It’ll be grand.

 Nothing to get worked up about, you old English bastards. 

No misconceptions down here sunshine. Just be careful what you say up there. Mr Yousaf is watching 

 

IMG_1019.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BobyBrno said:

Scotland’s controversial new law. 
For or against?

The Hate Crime and Public Order (Scotland) Act 2021 creates a new crime of "stirring up hatred" relating to age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, transgender identity or being intersex.

If everyone contributing to any social media platform was required to declare their true identity, would things improve? 
 

If people just stopped hating people for social media likes the world would rotate much more smoothly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BobyBrno said:

Why?

I think it's dangerous territory when the state has the power to prosecute a member of the public for merely being "insulting" and for which it's thought the insult is "likely" (as opposed to intended) to stir up hatred

I also disagree with the recording of "non-crime hate incidents", which are nothing new but which this bill will further encourage

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

No misconceptions down here sunshine. Just be careful what you say up there. Mr Yousaf is watching 

 

IMG_1019.jpeg

😁

 I’ll say what I like, most people will, it’ll be reet. 

Yousaf has insisted there is a “very high threshold” for prosecution and a “triple lock” on freedom of expression in the act, including an explicit clause, a “reasonableness” defence, and compatibility with the European convention on human rights.

Hopefully it will hold more scumbags to account. Those people who’ve been wearing Hamas headbands for example. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

 

Yousaf has insisted there is a “very high threshold” for prosecution and a “triple lock” on freedom of expression in the act, including an explicit clause, a “reasonableness” defence, and compatibility with the European convention on human rights.

Well, it's what he claims at least

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, London Wanderer said:

😁

 I’ll say what I like, most people will, it’ll be reet. 

 

This is what we want. Proper 1970’s  talk. You are growing on me. 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Well, it's what he claims at least

Welcomed by the EHRC as well.

Police Scotland have offered reassurances too.
 

Free speech isn’t the right to abusing people based on their sex, race etc. 

Genuine free speech won’t be affected. JK Rowling (a bit critic) was saying ‘arrest me’. But there’s no way her views will be deemed against the law. 
 

It’s a promising law. There will be difficulties at first, & a rise in reporting. But time will tell. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I think it's dangerous territory when the state has the power to prosecute a member of the public for merely being "insulting" and for which it's thought the insult is "likely" (as opposed to intended) to stir up hatred

I also disagree with the recording of "non-crime hate incidents", which are nothing new but which this bill will further encourage

You sound like a lawyer. Most people with common sense know when people are being insulting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Police Scotland have offered reassurances too.

The General Secretary of the Scottish Police Federation and the Association of Scottish Police Superintendents certainly hold a alternative view, so it's clearly not cut and dry

4 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Genuine free speech won’t be affected. JK Rowling (a bit critic) was saying ‘arrest me’. But there’s no way her views will be deemed against the law. 

On this, the Scottish government's Minister for Victims and Community Safety was less certain, stating:

"It would be a police matter for them to assess what happens

It could be reported and it could be investigated - whether the police would think it was criminal is up to Police Scotland"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:


 

Free speech isn’t the right to abusing people based on their sex, race etc. 

 

 

Free speech is being able to say whatever you want in public and on social media platforms. Ive said previously, anonymity restricts that freedom. How many on here are willing to give up that anonymity? 
There was a time when most people on here knew each other. Not now. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Free speech is being able to say whatever you want in public and on social media platforms. Ive said previously, anonymity restricts that freedom. How many on here are willing to give up that anonymity? 
There was a time when most people on here knew each other. Not now. 
 

How does anonymity restrict freedom of speech?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.