Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Nolan For England

no balls

Now I know this is going over old ground but I see that creepy perv from Sweden's overlooked Kevin Nolan again. Is it just that us Bolton Wanderers fans think our players are better than they really are or is it the 'in' crowd' mentality. Alan Smith, not a bad player, didn't get a sniff at Leeds (from what I remember), moves down the M62 & then gets a call up. So he's a better player then as soon as he goes to a big club.

I feel like stamping my feet outside FA headquarters and saying 'it's just not fair'! Tossers!

](*,)

Ok, rant over now!

rather have Nobby fit and raring to secure UEFA Cup spot for us than having 15 mins against Uruguay and coming back with a knock. He's not going to Germany and that suits me fine, rather have him at the Reebok than on a bigger stage in the shop window, we all know what happened the last time our 'star' player spent 3 or 4 days with Beckham and co!

• Moderators
Now I know this is going over old ground but I see that creepy perv from Sweden's overlooked Kevin Nolan again. Is it just that us Bolton Wanderers fans think our players are better than they really are or is it the 'in' crowd' mentality. Alan Smith, not a bad player, didn't get a sniff at Leeds (from what I remember), moves down the M62 & then gets a call up. So he's a better player then as soon as he goes to a big club.

I feel like stamping my feet outside FA headquarters and saying 'it's just not fair'! Tossers!

](*,)

Ok, rant over now!

I dare say Smith had as many if not more opportunities at Leeds as he did at Utd

think he shot himself in the foot by getting sent off that time playing for England, which was when he was at Leeds

I'd be dissapointed if players like Barton and Murphy got the nod ahead of Nolan from now on, but as it stands I don't think Nolan is international class compared to the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Cole etc

looking at the squad I don't think Nolan is betterer enough than those players to get in the squad, excpet Richardson, but they play in different positions anyway and not direct competition

that said

it would do his chances no harm if he signed for a club like Liverpool or Utd

good point well made, I think happen I've just got a chip on my shoulder when I see the likes of Carrick being highly rated. I reckon Nolan'll be one for the future rather than now to be honest. It's just the old boys club down at Soho that gets my goat....

• Site Supporter

Well it certainly made up the minds of those at the FA with Peter Crouch!

At Villa he was a laughing stock

At Southampton he was a freak

At Liverpool he's an international centre forward!

Don't get me wrong, I actually think he has something to offer in the wayu of service, just like Kevin Davies offers more in the ability to serve others rather than score. But did all this happen because he's suddenly become an International footballer or because someone at the FA has stated that, "If he's good enough for Rafa Benitez and Liverpool, surely he'll be good enough for us!"

The club you play for has everything to do with the amount of caps you'll ever win!

Yup, those magical moves can do wonders. heskey - one minute england regular... then .... moves to Brum and all of a sudden he's a completely changed player and no longer worthy. (though i agree - he never was in the first place, but you get the point).

Dyer is in the england squad - how many 90 mins he played in the lst 2 years??

I like Kev as a Bolton player, to be honest he is not better than what England already have. I just think his all round game puts him in the spot light enough.

Jenas, Lampard, Gerrard, and Dyer when fit, all offer a bigger all round threat for me.

If Kev Davies could chip in with more goals, now you have an arguement / alternative for the squad.

Kev Nolan is playing at the wrong time where we have a number of good midfielders in his style.

• Moderators
I like Kev as a Bolton player, to be honest he is not better than what England already have. I just think his all round game puts him in the spot light enough.

Jenas, Lampard, Gerrard, and Dyer when fit, all offer a bigger all round threat for me.

If Kev Davies could chip in with more goals, now you have an arguement / alternative for the squad.

Kev Nolan is playing at the wrong time where we have a number of good midfielders in his style.

neither jenas nor dyer deserve a sniff of the squad, on form

i'm not even sure about gerrard in international football, but he must be able to do it

nolan on the other hand is consistent and versatile

could even play him as the big target man if necessary

Dyer is in the england squad - how many 90 mins he played in the lst 2 years??

& he was injured on saturday as well. Carrick different sort of player

but Jenas struggles to get in the Spurs team. As for Richardson... just not good enough at the moment.

The front places are sorted , even with injuries it would be unlikely Kev goes up front. The other players mentioned SWP, JJ, Dyer, all offer alternative positions or play in positions where cover is not that great.

In midfield we have:

Lampard restricted to Attacking mid - but at present he is the best

Beckam, right mid but can come across into a central role if needed

Gerrard can play across the midfield

Cole can come across into a central role if needed

King can play as centrehalf or Defensive mid

Dyer can play central mid, winger or as a wing back

SCP plays wing so not much comp past cole/beckham.

Carrick plays the defensive mid role, so not certain to go but not in comp with Nolan

Jenas can play the holding role, and the attacking role

I may be doing Kev a dis-service but for me he is a poorer version of Lampard. May be in another 3-4 years time he is as good, but he is not yet, so this WC is too soon IMO.

So stick that in your pipes and smoke them :D/

At Villa he was a laughing stock

At Southampton he was a freak

At Liverpool he's an international centre forward!

Don't get me wrong, I actually think he has something to offer in the wayu of service, just like Kevin Davies offers more in the ability to serve others rather than score. But did all this happen because he's suddenly become an International footballer or because someone at the FA has stated that, "If he's good enough for Rafa Benitez and Liverpool, surely he'll be good enough for us!"

The club you play for has everything to do with the amount of caps you'll ever win!

I think you will find that when Crouch was first picked for the England squad, he was a Southampton player.

The front places are sorted , even with injuries it would be unlikely Kev goes up front. The other players mentioned SWP, JJ, Dyer, all offer alternative positions or play in positions where cover is not that great.

In midfield we have:

Lampard restricted to Attacking mid - but at present he is the best

Beckam, right mid but can come across into a central role if needed

Gerrard can play across the midfield

Cole can come across into a central role if needed

King can play as centrehalf or Defensive mid

Dyer can play central mid, winger or as a wing back

SCP plays wing so not much comp past cole/beckham.

Carrick plays the defensive mid role, so not certain to go but not in comp with Nolan

Jenas can play the holding role, and the attacking role

I may be doing Kev a dis-service but for me he is a poorer version of Lampard. May be in another 3-4 years time he is as good, but he is not yet, so this WC is too soon IMO.

So stick that in your pipes and smoke them :D/

Kin ell Salford, I am astonished that you think Jenas offers more than Nolan, he is not in the same league.

For a lad that you say 'can play the attacking role' - well, compare their goalscoring records.

Sounds like you too have fallen for the old 'cost a few quid, played for Newcastle and now Spurs, must be good' routine

Alan Hansen Talks sense yet again!!

One player who I expected to be in the squad is Bolton's Kevin Nolan.

He's got two great feet, he's strong, aggressive, scores goals and he's the type that could muscle his way in.

Bolton are still in the FA Cup and could push for a Champions League place. They are difficult to beat and Nolan has had a fantastic season and has been one of their best players.

I'm very surprised he's not been given a chance.

from his column on the beeb

england centre mids order of 'goodness' in my opinion

lampard

gerrard

parker

murphy

carrick

jenas

nolan

reo coker

barton

Carrick, Parker & Murphy.....never! Personally I think Scott Parker, who I presume you're on about, is stealing a living.

no honestly. I haven't got my bwfc undies on today. I'm not saying nolan's the complete article but I don't think I'm on my own in thinking parker's not as good as he thinks. I don't think Jose rated him too highly after shelling out a small fortune & I reckon on the sly that fella knows abit about football. either way, let's be honest, as long as Lampard & Gerrard are still walking, not many more are going get a look in, which is fair enough.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.