Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A Sunderland Fan's View

Spider

• Site Supporter

I spoke to a Sunderland fan who went to the game last night.

He said it felt like a home game to them in the south stand and he's absolutely spot on. He could not beleive the lack of atmosphere for the first day of the season. I mentioned that there are a huge amount of fans who want Megson out. He understood that but still couldn't get his head round the Reebok's inability to just support the team on the pitch.

Pathetic, in other words. Our support is pathetic.

He said it felt like a home game to them in the south stand and he's absolutely spot on. He could not beleive the lack of atmosphere for the first day of the season. I mentioned that there are a huge amount of fans who want Megson out. He understood that but still couldn't get his head round the Reebok's inability to just support the team on the pitch.

Its embarrasing, the stick I got in work watching the game yesterday was unbearable.

and I can take pretty much anything

Its embarrasing, the stick I got in work watching the game yesterday was unbearable.

and I can take pretty much anything

Spider, I think you're becomming obsessed with this view that you are some kind of super fan compared to others.

Fans respond to what they see on the pitch, very rarely will you see a crowd yelping, screaming, doing sea lion impressions based on what they were watching in the first half. Dont forget, there will have been a lot of disappointed fans who have been building up to this for weeks.

As soon as the team start to play some decent stuff, which they will, the support will be there. Best atmosphere last season- Arsenal at home. We lost, but for a 40 minute period played a great team off the park and boy did the crowd respond.

Get over it mate, you're no better or worse a supporter than anyone on here. I didnt notice this hostile atmosphere, sure it was quiet but that reflected what people are watching. You drag up one Sunderland fan who thought it was the fault of the Bolton fans, I'll show you thousands of BWFC fans, media experts who thought it was more down to inept coaching and management.

there were a lot of mutterings in the stands about players attitudes, these fans need to look at their own attitude!

We need to step back and look at the situation. Homer. We all support the club.

On one hand we have highly paid professional, but transient, players & management and on the other hand we have lifelong paying fans.

Sure a team needs support. But, as the paid professionals, the team/management have to offer something to the fans. Yesterday, and too many times last season, they didn't. Home crowds can't get easily enthused when what's happening on the pitch is hopeless - and that's at any club, not just the Reebok as some of you try to make out. As it was, I thought the fans got behind the team yesterday whenever they could see the team trying to force the issue. Sadly the team selection and tactics were plain wrong and it showed.

• Moderators

russell, the media is generally very supportive of what megson has achieved

and has commented on many occasions that bolton fans are full of shit

*just added for balance as you want to use their opinion of yesterday as gospel*

*just added for balance as you want to use their opinion of yesterday as gospel*

Some media are, the majority were very much against the Lisbon thing, but that's history.

Having been in the game for over 50 years as fan, supporter and player I dont think I have ever come away from a game thinking it was the fault of opposition fans when we got a good win.

Probably well over 99% of Sunderland fans were either really impressed with their new team or surprised how shit we were. Not sure many would have been driving back home blaming our fans for their success.

• Moderators

the majority of the media are supportive of megsons achievements and think bolton fans are full of shit

skirt around it, avoid it, do what you want with it, but don't post the medias opinion of yesterday as being any more vaild than their view of the bigger picture

I was sat there yesterday for the first time jealous of the away fans, this is the 1st season I have felt like i am going through the motions in buying my season ticket and turning up.

Some people on here have short memories and seem to have accepted this dross as acceptable. No matter who you blame, for the record my opinion is its firmly at Megsons feet, the club needs to find the spark again and quickly, I dont enjoy nor will I accept opposing fans feeling sorry for me when I turn out to watch my team.

FFS, keep on making things up Spider :good:

Next Sunday's thread, "I spoke to a Hull fan last night"..........

• Site Supporter
FFS, keep on making things up Spider :good:

Next Sunday's thread, "I spoke to a Hull fan last night"..........

Would you ike me to PM you his phone number for verification? He's a customer (I have them all over the UK so know supporters from lots of different clubs if that's o-fucking-k with you?)

I don't know any Hull fans so I doubt there'll be a repeat.

RUSSELL - I consider myself a supporter first and foremost. I've stated elsewhere that yesterday was bobbins but I'll wait until we've no points at Christmas before I start fucking whining.

Would you ike me to PM you his phone number for verification? He's a customer (I have them all over the UK so know supporters from lots of different clubs if that's o-fucking-k with you?)

I don't know any Hull fans so I doubt there'll be a repeat.

RUSSELL - I consider myself a supporter first and foremost. I've stated elsewhere that yesterday was bobbins but I'll wait until we've no points at Christmas before I start fucking whining.

Spider, Ive no problem with a bit of passion and loyalty to the club, but this constant putting down of the fan base and laying the blame totally at their door, well I just think you're pissing into the wind.

I spoke to a pal of mine last night, ex Sunderland player from years back. He said " I dont know how you can watch that stuff every week" Oddly enough he never mentioned the crowd.

I can only repeat myself, the fans will respond when they see a good performance on the pitch.

I think the problem is lack of alcohol/places to drink before the game. The reason it was so loud at the arsenal game was that it was a 5.15 k.o on a warm day. When we were at burnden there was lots of pubs around the stadium and you could sup up your pint at 2.50pm and just about catch kick off. The stuff they serve in the ground is crap/expensive and theres little on offer in the fanzone. I'm not slagging the club off, I just think the lack of places to drink affects the atmosphere. Theres only a few pubs to go to around the ground and all of which are jam packed to the rafters. I know alot of people that choose to just go into town watch the game on illegal tv and spend less than a match ticket on beer. We have an awsome stadium, it's just a shame it's not in the town centre, this is why I don't think the reebok will ever have consistantly good atmosphere.

He said it felt like a home game to them in the south stand and he's absolutely spot on. He could not believe the lack of atmosphere for the first day of the season. I mentioned that there are a huge amount of fans who want Megson out. He understood that but still couldn't get his head round the Reebok's inability to just support the team on the pitch.

Geordie's and mackems do not have anything going for them or many other interests other than footie. Multiply this by a first game of the season away game, a new manager and money spent and you get what you heard. this has been the same since I started going to Burnden in 1972 with my spotty teenage mates............... nothing much changes in the NE stakes. They will ultimately end up disapointed....believe me.

Edited by Big_Girl_Oral_Explosion

Your Sunderland supporting mate is full of shit. Just before Roy Keane jumped ship their fans were fighting amongst themselves. Compared to the stick Ricky Sbragia got, Megson's had it easy. You might want to ask him about that.

I think the problem is lack of alcohol/places to drink before the game. The reason it was so loud at the arsenal game was that it was a 5.15 k.o on a warm day. When we were at burnden there was lots of pubs around the stadium and you could sup up your pint at 2.50pm and just about catch kick off. The stuff they serve in the ground is crap/expensive and theres little on offer in the fanzone. I'm not slagging the club off, I just think the lack of places to drink affects the atmosphere. Theres only a few pubs to go to around the ground and all of which are jam packed to the rafters. I know alot of people that choose to just go into town watch the game on illegal tv and spend less than a match ticket on beer. We have an awsome stadium, it's just a shame it's not in the town centre, this is why I don't think the reebok will ever have consistantly good atmosphere.

Luke for football ambassador :drinks: , that's a well thought out viewpoint, I suggest you drink more. :drinks:

I would hardly say the media support us. They hate us. We get slagged off in the press for the way we play. Sky and ESPN obvioulsy don't want to show us and most Bolton fans don't want to go anymore.

I am very angry still about the piss poor performance yesterday. These guys get extremely well paid for what they do. I am paying a large chunk of my wages out for a season ticket so I don't expect to get slagged off for not getting behind the team when dross like that is served up. If this Sunderland fan was watching the pathetic excuse for football that we are consistently now seeing I doubt he would get excited or be arsed about singing and cheering either.

If I see effort or a crunching challenge and a bit of positivity I can excuse mistimed or misplaced tackles at times. But I saw none of the honesty that Megson promised we would get yesterday.

Guest westmidswhite

The media dont have to put up with the dross we deliver 99% of the time - negative, boring football with no creative players and nobody to score goals

Guest westmidswhite
Your Sunderland supporting mate is full of shit. Just before Roy Keane jumped ship their fans were fighting amongst themselves. Compared to the stick Ricky Sbragia got, Megson's had it easy. You might want to ask him about that.

Our fans are fighting between themselves - Should put Megson in between them

The media dont have to put up with the dross we deliver 99% of the time - negative, boring football with no creative players and nobody to score goals

They see it as a bit rich we're moaning about football styles now after 8 years of it.

They see the big picture --- Megson saved us the first year and got us last 16 in europe with the reserves, got us to 13th last year. They see that and think 'fuck me what does a little team who belongs mid-champsionship have to moan about'.

People didnt like the megson appointment as it brought them back down to earth. Hierro, Campo, Djorkaeff, Okocha was great, but that status was never long term and certainly wouldn't work in the dugout. It was time for pragmatism, and that is what megson represents. Bolton fans were still enjoying lording it over other teams following a couple of exceptional years, they didn't want the wake up call.... a wake-up call that would've been relegation if megson hadn't been appointed.

We'd probably now be watching Bolton v Tranmere as a league fixure.

Edited by Tyler Durden

• Site Supporter
They see it as a bit rich we're moaning about football styles now after 8 years of it.

They see the big picture --- Megson saved us the first year and got us last 16 in europe with the reserves, got us to 13th last year. They see that and think 'fuck me what does a little team who belongs mid-champsionship have to moan about'.

People didnt like the megson appointment as it brought them back down to earth. Hierro, Campo, Djorkaeff, Okocha was great, but that status was never long term and certainly wouldn't work in the dugout. It was time for pragmatism, and that is what megson represents. Bolton fans were still enjoying lording it over other teams following a couple of exceptional years, they didn't want the wake up call.... a wake-up call that would've been relegation if megson hadn't been appointed.

Sums it up perfectly.

I have never said that champagne football is on offer at The Reebok. Nor would I. What I see is the team I suport holding its own in the world's toughest division with a budget of about 84 pence.

I suspect that if Megson had ?200 million to spend we may see (and expect to see) a more Brazilian approach.

Rational, well thought out comments.

Great to see.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.