Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bloody Scandlous

Apparently this school has been 'rebranded' because it's shit. Therefore may I suggest they get back to basics before giving the pupils toys.

it's an academy being run by a private company rather than the local authority, be interesting to see if chucking cash at it will make a difference.

it's an academy being run by a private company rather than the local authority, be interesting to see if chucking cash at it will make a difference.

No, & I quote from their official site: it's a state-funded independent academy. Essa Academy replaced the former Hayward School and is sponsored by Cohens Chemist and Bolton Council.

indeed it looks like these business bods have contacts galore, plus access to a large pot of cash from the government for trailing the acadamy system

So these failing schools, why are they failing? I can't see kids not having an ipod being up there as one the main reasons.

I'm no education expert but I'd say there's more important issues which don't need shit loadsof money being thrown at them to help. So, & in no particular order:

Poor Teaching Methods

Pupils having English as a second language

Parents not giving a fuck

Poor interaction between parents - pupils - teachers.

People stealing a wage by getting paid to think up wacky ideas rather than getting down the the bare bones of the issues (see above)

So these failing schools, why are they failing? I can't see kids not having an ipod being up there as one the main reasons.

I'm no education expert but I'd say there's more important issues which don't need shit loadsof money being thrown at them to help. So, & in no particular order:

Poor Teaching Methods

Pupils having English as a second language

Parents not giving a fuck

Poor interaction between parents - pupils - teachers.

People stealing a wage by getting paid to think up wacky ideas rather than getting down the the bare bones of the issues (see above)

Working outside the councils control means schools run more like the private sector ie you fail at your job you're out the door.

needless to say the Unions weren't too keen on the idea of their members having to actually teach things.

the other side of the coin is if kids behave like savages the school can kick em out without too much fuss leaving decent kids to learn in peace.

Don't get me wrong giving them all i-pods is bizzare, but we ain't paid for it.

I appreciate we're not paying for them, Frank & yes it is bizarre. My problem is these kids will be unleashed onto the job market in a few years and there's 2 things they need to learn beforehand. You rarely get carrots in grown up land, it's usually only sticks, & secondly, the basics or reading, writing & speaking English are still required for a half decent job.

If it turns them out better educated & well rounded then fair enough, I just wonder if gimmicks like this help though. Also, what about the children in schools doing ok who don't get these carrots? Wouldn't you feel a bit miffed for working hard & doing well & not receiving anything. I know we can say they'll come out with a better chance all round but try telling that to a teenager.

It's reading things like this that make me wonder if my proposed career change is a good thing.

I appreciate we're not paying for them, Frank & yes it is bizarre. My problem is these kids will be unleashed onto the job market in a few years and there's 2 things they need to learn beforehand. You rarely get carrots in grown up land, it's usually only sticks, & secondly, the basics or reading, writing & speaking English are still required for a half decent job.

If it turns them out better educated & well rounded then fair enough, I just wonder if gimmicks like this help though. Also, what about the children in schools doing ok who don't get these carrots? Wouldn't you feel a bit miffed for working hard & doing well & not receiving anything. I know we can say they'll come out with a better chance all round but try telling that to a teenager.

It's reading things like this that make me wonder if my proposed career change is a good thing.

These i-pods will be used in lessons think of them as mini computers rather than MP3 players.

it's a school doing something different to teach the kids hardly worth getting bothered about.

if every kid was given the equivelent monetary value in text books would you be as bothered?

Don't get me wrong giving them all i-pods is bizzare, but we ain't paid for it.

No, & I quote from their official site: it's a state-funded independent academy. Essa Academy replaced the former Hayward School and is sponsored by Cohens Chemist and Bolton Council.

One of you is wrong....... my money's on Frank

they get the same ammount as any other school which couldn't afford to give every kid an ipod, as it being run by businesses with the ability to put their own money in which will have paid for these ipods.

Can you not conceed we (the tax payer), may well have made a sizeable contribution or do you really believe that these

i-pod things have been paid for soley by private "sponsorship".

These i-pods will be used in lessons think of them as mini computers rather than MP3 players.

it's a school doing something different to teach the kids hardly worth getting bothered about.

if every kid was given the equivelent monetary value in text books would you be as bothered?

Why does it have to be 'different' to the non failing schools? This is my point.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.