Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Spain 6 Poland 0

Zico

Guest Frandsen08

why does jonathon pearce pronounce some players names with a funny accent, sounds like steve mclaren!

Spain will not win the World Cup.

Diddles stop following the Sky hype machine and get an opinion for yourself. They overhype everything in Spain for a reason you know.

Portugal will beat Spain in the RO16, unless Portugal win the group, in which case Brazil will beat them.

Spain 1-0 Portugal

Bye Bye Portugal :whistle:

Nice of you show up now you have got one right.

The fact they went off Spain 1/2 Portugal 7/5 when they were originally priced at 3/1 and 33/1 in the outright shows I knew what I was talking about.

I think we can safely say Spain arnt as good as first thought and Portugal are better than what everyone thought.

Forget all that though, I said Portugal would beat Spain and they didn't, so well done, just make sure you don't start gambling.

I look forward to seeing you on the Higuain threads.

Portugal were negative, but then if they did try and attack Spain they would get easily picked off, the only way to play against Spain or Barcelona is to defend and hope to catch them on a counter, Inter and Switzerland have proved this can happen, but it'll be very rare.

Torres was not at his best and hasn't been throughout the World Cup, when Llorente came on Spain turned on the style, and totally out passed Portugal.

The reason I haven't posted in here for the last 2 days is because you have been saying Spain have been boring, they have been in the top 4 sides for me with Brazil, Argentina and Chile, the passing in triangles and quick 1 touch football is a joy to watch, I guess it doesn't appeal to you but it's winning football and entertaining.

I'm a fan of Higuain, fantastic striker, but he's no Messi, and I rate Villa higher. Barca are gonna be on another level next season with him I would think.

Edited by DidledeeBwfc

I watched the game with the sound off. Spain were class. Totally different league to Portugal.

Them & Brazil in the final for me, although I'd love it if Germany get there. Great people!

• Moderators

I can watch Spain all day long - but i doubt they'll win the tournament.Portugal were very negative and unambitious tonight,and the best team won.......but it could and should have been 4 or 5 nil.

hardly

i can think of 3 near misses for the portugeuse

I thought Casillas was a bit edgy tonight, Ronaldo's freekick caused him a problem , and if Almeida reacted quicker maybe he could have got to the ball before Casillas slapped it away. Other than that Portugal were poor, no real threat at all, Coentrao has impressed me though, he's a class wingback. Would like this Alonso youngster to get involved like he does.

Portugal were negative, but then if they did try and attack Spain they would get easily picked off, the only way to play against Spain or Barcelona is to defend and hope to catch them on a counter, Inter and Switzerland have proved this can happen, but it'll be very rare.

People often forget the first leg. Barcelona went 1-0 up at the San Siro. They got beat at their own game.

People often forget the first leg. Barcelona went 1-0 up at the San Siro. They got beat at their own game.

I agree, and I have used that kind of response from you to suggest that Inter won the semi final because they attacked Barca in the 1st leg, in the 2nd leg it was all Barca and Inter just defended, Barca still won that 1-0.

It's very rare you see teams attack Barca and Spain, more rare to see them beat them. Inter proved it's possible but mostly teams sit back and let Spain have the ball and hope to counter them when players are in advanced positions, Spain are not certs to win the World Cup, Argentina and Brazil will also take some beating.

I agree, and I have used that kind of response from you to suggest that Inter won the semi final because they attacked Barca in the 1st leg, in the 2nd leg it was all Barca and Inter just defended, Barca still won that 1-0.

It's very rare you see teams attack Barca and Spain, more rare to see them beat them. Inter proved it's possible but mostly teams sit back and let Spain have the ball and hope to counter them when players are in advanced positions, Spain are not certs to win the World Cup, Argentina and Brazil will also take some beating.

Eh? Ive read your post again and cant see anything which suggests this.

I meant in the past mate. This is once, I said something similar to Homer once on here, will find it.

After Switzerland beat Spain

Quote from: jimbo_bwfc on 20 June 2010, 08:05 PM

Everyone's figured out how to play against Spain.

After Spain beat Honduras

Quote from: Didledee on 21 June 2010, 08:18 PM

Oh! Really

Quote from: jimbo_bwfc on 21 June 2010, 08:28 PM

Yep. Honduras just aren't good enough to do it. Surely you aren't getting excited against Spain having a 1-0 lead against one of the worst teams in the tournement?

Look at the two managers who have done it recently. Mourinho, and Hitzfeld with Switzerland. Top class coaches.

It's the same with Barca. If you have a good enough manager, and strong enough defenders/midfielders to track back and shadow them for 90mins there is a good chance you'll at the very least draw with them, and they are always likely to make a couple of mistakes during the match, you then have your chances to win it.

It is anti-football to the maximum but if you can play that sort of football well like Mourinho can then you can get a result against Barca or Spain.

author=Didledee link=topic=3443.msg63606#msg63606 date=1277148820

Noty excited, but enjoying the passing and movement, I also enjoyed Portugal.

I don't understand your Barca v Mourinho point, Inter beat them 3-1 at home when they recovered from 1-0 down and started attacking. Their attacking won them the game.

Inter just defended against Barca at the Nou Camp and Barca still won 1-0.

You said everyone knows how to play against Spain, who? USA and Switzerland? who else? If Brazil lost to North Korea would it have been the same?

I can watch Spain all day long - but i doubt they'll win the tournament.Portugal were very negative and unambitious tonight,and the best team won.......but it could and should have been 4 or 5 nil.

hardly

i can think of 3 near misses for the portugeuse

Oh alreet 8-3 Spain then :roll:

;)

• Moderators

I think we can safely say Spain arnt as good as first thought and Portugal are better than what everyone thought.

nah. Spain aren't producing the free flowing football we were expecting but there are glimpses, Villa is different class though torres is having a mare

but they showed last night that when a team shuts up shop they can actually persevere and win

that was the problem that they had, when teams defend they can't break them down? seems they learned from the swiss defeat

spain v brazil should be some game if we get to see it, though I'd say Brazil look class in every department and would deal with spain

as for portugal, they've been a dissapointment - they looked great against a weak poor and very shit korea team, but drawing a blank in the other 3 games and having no plan B last night, I don't think you can say they were much kop this world cup or have backed up your pre tournament optimism for them, you probably will, but it's wrong

I got bored of watching Spain pass it in circles and portugal defending in a 8-1-1 formation so went and had a bath.

Spain can be very good to watch and their ability is 2nd to none at times.

However i may have been brainwashed by the Allardyce/Megson mantra of 'put it in the mixer'.

nah. Spain aren't producing the free flowing football we were expecting but there are glimpses, Villa is different class though torres is having a mare

but they showed last night that when a team shuts up shop they can actually persevere and win

that was the problem that they had, when teams defend they can't break them down? seems they learned from the swiss defeat

spain v brazil should be some game if we get to see it, though I'd say Brazil look class in every department and would deal with spain

as for portugal, they've been a dissapointment - they looked great against a weak poor and very shit korea team, but drawing a blank in the other 3 games and having no plan B last night, I don't think you can say they were much kop this world cup or have backed up your pre tournament optimism for them, you probably will, but it's wrong

It's not wrong at all.

They wernt expected to get out of the group by most, including you.

They held their own against Brazil. Those that say it was a nothign game are talking rubbish. Brazil and Portugal hate each other with a passion. See the bookings in the game. They could have won the game if the blatant penalty was given.

They got out the group and met Spain in the second round, they got beat by the better side(pre tournament favourites remember), it happens.

You seem to be forgetting I picked a team out that was fancied by no one, written off by everyone and ive got it categorically wrong.

As I said before, id probably be wrong but at least I gave it a proper go instead of picking the team that my sister and all her mates would have chosen.

I got bored of watching Spain pass it in circles and portugal defending in a 8-1-1 formation so went and had a bath.

Spain can be very good to watch and their ability is 2nd to none at times.

However i may have been brainwashed by the Allardyce/Megson mantra of 'put it in the mixer'.

This is what bugs me.

The first 45 minutes, Portugal were probably the better side and could have been ahead. They defended well and got forward well passing it nicely.

but because Hansen and co show you selective highlights of Spain doing a couple of passes, Spain are the saviour to football and Portugal are the Anti Christ.

It wouldn't bother me if it was United fans doing this, but everyone on this board moans when Bolton play well but get labelled as boring, negative etc and the media and everyone talks rubbish.

yet you all do exactly the same thing when it doesn't include Bolton.

It is true that Spain dominated possesion after they went 1-0 up, personally I don't see the different between SPain knocking it about at the back and us running it into the corner running the clock down.

• Moderators

It's not wrong at all.

They wernt expected to get out of the group by most, including you.

They held their own against Brazil. Those that say it was a nothign game are talking rubbish. Brazil and Portugal hate each other with a passion. See the bookings in the game. They could have won the game if the blatant penalty was given.

They got out the group and met Spain in the second round, they got beat by the better side(pre tournament favourites remember), it happens.

You seem to be forgetting I picked a team out that was fancied by no one, written off by everyone and ive got it categorically wrong.

As I said before, id probably be wrong but at least I gave it a proper go instead of picking the team that my sister and all her mates would have chosen.

no, Im well aware of that

but the point to this whole thing was, you reckoned diddledee hadn't given it much thought and was following the bandwagon - he more than showed his reasons why, right or wrong

well done for being different and all that, just hope you didn't have big money on them

as the world cup stands now, you could either go with the popular choice of Brazil or you could give 10 good reasons why Uruguay could do it

going with the latter wouldn't make you anymore astute, unless they win it, whereas going with the former doesn't necessarily make you a sheep, even though they probably will and it's an easier horse to back

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.