Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Value For Money?

globaldiver

Nationally we the taxpayers are forking out £86m to pay the salaries of around 3,000 full time trade union officials.

In Bolton, we pay £175,000 per year in salary and overhead costs for 5.5 full time union officials and the leader of the council, Cliff Morris, thinks this is value for money.

The conveners get paid by the union with the money that people pay from thie subs. However you then get staff that want to be union reps and they also attend meeting - which they do on "Council" time, therefore are paid for by the citizens of Bolton. This all seems well and good until you realise how many reps you get in a meeting. I was in Senior Mangement in the council until last year, and you would have mulitple reps at a meeting. I remember doing a Stage One sickness meeting with a staff member once, so just me and her ... and her union rep, and another rep, and someone training to be a rep and an observer... Then when you had meetings that went across staff groups, you would have to double that as you had Unison and GMB. Less than 50% of the workforce were members of the union.