Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Official Boxing Thread...

gonzo

The Cash/Cullen fight was a lesson on how to use your face to block a punch. Cullen had little defence. Cash was always on the front foot but was caught too many times by cullens swingers. Two average fighters who won't progress much from the level that they are at.

Edited by Underpants

• Members
5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Nicola Adams retired from boxing. Eyesight at risk in one eye.

Fair play to her, done really well, a successful career and seems a decent person too.

Really sensible decision as well. She’s 37 and had a great career. No doubt the way Katie Taylor is going and her fights getting more coverage Nicola will being called up to be analyst on sky

5 hours ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Really sensible decision as well. She’s 37 and had a great career. No doubt the way Katie Taylor is going and her fights getting more coverage Nicola will being called up to be analyst on sky

Don't know a lot about girlie boxing. But I would imagine the depth of talent isn't up to much in all divisions. I would imagine the good ones like Adams and Taylor can stay at the top for a long time. MMA seems to be where the money and talent is for the lady's.

• Members
1 hour ago, Underpants said:

Don't know a lot about girlie boxing. But I would imagine the depth of talent isn't up to much in all divisions. I would imagine the good ones like Adams and Taylor can stay at the top for a long time. MMA seems to be where the money and talent is for the lady's.

Yeah you’re right but it’s slowly getting there, the draw to watch it isn’t there so the money isn’t there. It needs Katie Taylor on right before a HW title fight but I’m not sure it will happen

1 hour ago, royal white said:

I watched a sparring session t’other week with Chantelle Cameron, very impressive. They’re hoping to get her a fight with Taylor next year 

Bit odd she left the McGuigans but she looks good 

• Site Supporter

This farcical youtuber fight on Saturday night MUST be fixed. There's no fucking way they're properly licensed, and there's no fucking chance Eddie Hearn is risking one of them suffering serious repercussions. At least WWE acknowledges that it's merely 'entertainment'. I can't find a single explanation as to which board has issued their 'professional' licenses. It's panto, surely?

Edited by Cheese

6 minutes ago, Cheese said:

This farcical youtuber fight on Saturday night MUST be fixed. There's no fucking way they're properly licensed, and there's no fucking chance Eddie Hearn is risking one of them suffering serious repercussions. At least WWE acknowledges that it's merely 'entertainment'. I can't find a single explanation as to which board has issued their 'professional' licenses. It's panto, surely?

Panto like, yes. But they maybe better than 100s who get a professional licence every year 

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, royal white said:

Panto like, yes. But they maybe better than 100s who get a professional licence every year 

I don't understand how licenses work. Don't they have to be issued by a professional boxing board?

5 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I don't understand how licenses work. Don't they have to be issued by a professional boxing board?

Yes, for Brits it’s through the BBBoC, usually they have to see proof of an amateur career however that can be worked around if you can show that you have had had some decent training by a pro coach (which I’m assuming they had) think this must have been the route flintoff went down as I can’t remember him fighting at amateur.

• Members
10 minutes ago, royal white said:

Yes, for Brits it’s through the BBBoC, usually they have to see proof of an amateur career however that can be worked around if you can show that you have had had some decent training by a pro coach (which I’m assuming they had) think this must have been the route flintoff went down as I can’t remember him fighting at amateur 

Would have taken into consideration his career as a sportsman as well, plus they come and visit them at sparring sessions. 

Ferdinand claimed he was denied a license which was his way of saying he bottled getting his massive lips boxed in. 

Edited by Rudy’s Message

30 minutes ago, Cheese said:

It's a bloody ppv event too. It's up there with the Mayweather/Mcgregor circus. Fools and their money are easily parted.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, royal white said:

Yes, for Brits it’s through the BBBoC, usually they have to see proof of an amateur career however that can be worked around if you can show that you have had had some decent training by a pro coach (which I’m assuming they had) think this must have been the route flintoff went down as I can’t remember him fighting at amateur.

Do you know which board has issued their professional licenses? I can't find anything, other than the BBBoC distancing themselves from it. It just seems mental to me that Matchroom are backing this fight if it isn't a fix. I know it's far-fetched, but what if one of them suffers a serious injury, or dies?

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Underpants said:

It's a bloody ppv event too. It's up there with the Mayweather/Mcgregor circus. Fools and their money are easily parted.

I'm guessing it will be a total non-event - probably end in a draw -  and they'll still both earn millions. Fair play to the lads themselves, but it makes an absolute mockery of the sport. It's WWE pretending to be boxing, which just doesn't sit right. At least Mayweather and McGregor were both properly professional fighters.

Edited by Cheese

• Members
4 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Do you know which board has issued their professional licenses? I can't find anything, other than the BBBoC distancing themselves from it. It just seems mental to me that Matchroom are backing this fight if it isn't a fix. I know it's far-fetched, but what if one of them suffers a serious injury, or dies?

IBA. 
6 rounds.

Match room are backing it because the viewing figures will be enormous. They’ll do bigger numbers than Fury’s and Wilders last fights.
A boxer died a few weeks ago and it kind of got swept under the rug as an unfortunate boxing event

Edited by Rudy’s Message

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

IBA. 
6 rounds.

Match room are backing it because the viewing figures will be enormous. They’ll do bigger numbers than Fury’s and Wilders last fights.
A boxer died a few weeks ago and it kind of got swept under the rug as an unfortunate boxing event

I get the financial side of it. But massive viewing figures aren't going to go down well for boxing if one of them gets his temple caved in and dies in hospital. I just can't see beyond it being an extremely obvious case of match-fixing.

10 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I’ve no idea. Didn’t they wear head guards last time? Is it the same this time?  

• Members
Just now, Cheese said:

I get the financial side of it. But massive viewing figures aren't going to go down well for boxing if one of them gets his temple caved in and dies in hospital. I just can't see beyond it being an extremely obvious case of match-fixing.

You’re forgetting the amount of fucks Eddie Hearn and his dad give.

I am surprised it’s no head guards and I think 10oz gloves

That is mental

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Rudy’s Message said:

You’re forgetting the amount of fucks Eddie Hearn and his dad give.

I am surprised it’s no head guards and I think 10oz gloves

That is mental

That's what I can't get my head around, and why I suspect they will have been told to control the fight in certain ways.