Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Biggest Crowd At Home

miamiwhite

What was the crowd v Newcastle when the Keegan tour came down,was it 25,000 ? 

I know the Lever End was seated by then,but there's no way taking into account of that, you could fit another 17,000 into Burnden that day (the capacity that season was 42,000 IIRC)   The only gaps were the segregation in the embankment.   Always fiddled the books have the Wanderers.

Same could be said for the Wolves match in '77........35,000 on and bastard heaving,capacity was 51,000 at the time.

Fuck me pink....i'd challenge Daubhill's Bengal Tigers to get 16,000 more in Burnden in their Datsuns !!!

What was the crowd v Newcastle when the Keegan tour came down,was it 25,000 ? 

I know the Lever End was seated by then,but there's no way taking into account of that, you could fit another 17,000 into Burnden that day (the capacity that season was 42,000 IIRC)   The only gaps were the segregation in the embankment.   Always fiddled the books have the Wanderers.

Same could be said for the Wolves match in '77........35,000 on and bastard heaving,capacity was 51,000 at the time.

Fuck me pink....i'd challenge Daubhill's Bengal Tigers to get 16,000 more in Burnden in their Datsuns !!!

Thought that capacity was 35,500 by then?

no,42,000 in 82/83 and 51,000 in '77,we'd had that already 3 months earlier v Liverpool's 3rd biggest club

I meant for the Newcastle visit with Keegan

I'm reasonably certain that when the Lever End became seated, the capacity reduced to 35,500 or so

I'm sure it was full when Liverpool came, at 35,200

I meant for the Newcastle visit with Keegan

I'm reasonably certain that when the Lever End became seated, the capacity reduced to 35,500 or so

I'm sure it was full when Liverpool came, at 35,200

keegan's visit was 82/83,capacity was 42,000 for that season. sure it's been published on here beforehand

keegan's visit was 82/83,capacity was 42,000 for that season. sure it's been published on here beforehand

To be continued..............

The evidence counts against that, with the visits of Liverpool, City and Utd in 78/9 being 32 to 35,000

Edited by boltondiver

I missed Everton in 77 by a season. Don't remember the Liverpool game of 35k either - towards end of 78-79 season - was it a night match? I was only 6 so probably explains why I wasn't there. My Dad also didn't take me to the United home game the Friday before Xmas 78, when there were 32k on. Probably a wise move in terms of aggro but gutting to have missed a 3-0 against em. Very long and convoluted way of saying I'm not sure. I was there for Fulham at home when we clinched Div 2 title in 78 (first ever game) and that was 34k, so I'll go for that.

Also missed the biggest attendance at Reebok - Leicester Xmas 2003 - was in London then and working, about the only game I missed all season too! Tho I reckon they fiddled that one - didn't add up at the time that that should be our biggest gate - bigger than United? Liverpool? How many did they bring? Anyone there that day able to clarify?

So none of you were on against Darlo in front of 465,000??

Sadly my highest will have been at the Reebok

Remember when we played Southampton at home in the cup I couldn't believe what Burnden looked like packed with 20k fans....unless I'm mistaken it was the first time in my match watching life...I was in my ST seat in Manny Road and couldn't take my eyes of the Burnden Paddock swaying.

Used to love that for big games...watching the original crazy corner as a kid was mesmerising

A Wing Stander?

I'm reliably informed no mob ever took the Wing Stand

The evidence counts against that, with the visits of Liverpool, City and Utd in 78/9 being 32 to 35,000

I'll call Simon Marland int morning

I missed Everton in 77 by a season. Don't remember the Liverpool game of 35k either - towards end of 78-79 season - was it a night match? I was only 6 so probably explains why I wasn't there. My Dad also didn't take me to the United home game the Friday before Xmas 78, when there were 32k on. Probably a wise move in terms of aggro but gutting to have missed a 3-0 against em. Very long and convoluted way of saying I'm not sure. I was there for Fulham at home when we clinched Div 2 title in 78 (first ever game) and that was 34k, so I'll go for that.

Also missed the biggest attendance at Reebok - Leicester Xmas 2003 - was in London then and working, about the only game I missed all season too! Tho I reckon they fiddled that one - didn't add up at the time that that should be our biggest gate - bigger than United? Liverpool? How many did they bring? Anyone there that day able to clarify?

Leicester had all the South Stand Upper and sold out. Quite unusual an away team having none of the Lower Tier.

So no capacity was lost to segregation

Ditto

How many were on for the NUFC replay at Elland Road?

Were all the above all ticket games or pay on the day?

Everton defo all ticket

Newcastle - pretty certain it was all ticket

Sunderland - pay on the door

think the replay at elland rd was 42,000

Edited by miamiwhite

Was on the embankment for the Everton semi,i remember the sharpened coins flying into the side of us,the lad in front of me got a big cut in his face.The Macdonald cup match was the best i have ever been to,we started on the embankment and crosssed the pitch in a brawl before the game started so watched the game rammed in the Lever end ,three of us and a bottle of whisky, you just dont get days like that at the Reebok !!

Ditto

How many were on for the NUFC replay at Elland Road?

Were all the above all ticket games or pay on the day?

Everton, Newcastle; all ticket

Sunderland; pay ont day

The only time I wagged off school was for double chemistry to secure a ticket for the Newcastle match

Everton defo all ticket

Newcastle - pretty certain it was all ticket

Sunderland - pay on the door

think the replay at elland rd was 42,000

I remember the M62 being like a car park that night and coppers warning us to stay on the coach as a Wanderers fan had already been knocked down trying to leg it to the ground.

No segregation that night as I recall, every man for himself :thumbsup: quite a few Leeds turned up as well, in their end of course

now,i believe your evidence is flawed old chap

42,000 was the capacity from 78/79 season until the supermarket came. 

former accountant/boot washer/programme seller has just confirmed this

Edited by miamiwhite

now,i believe your evidence is flawed old chap

42,000 was the capacity from 78/79 season until the supermarket came. 

former accountant/boot washer/programme seller has just confirmed this

I'll still call Simon Marland int morning!

Biggest number of Bolton fans at Reebok was last game of season in 2004 - against Fulham. They had about 500 I guess in one part of south upper - and rest of ground all Wanderers in a crowd of 27,500 I think. 1 in 2 of those on that day have since presumably found something else to do on a Saturday afternoon.