Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Whisky

madthatter

Just sampled my Jack Daniels Master Distiller No 3. That is one mighty fine version of JD

Iv only had no. 2 but will be on the lookout.  Mine got better as it went down too!

Not a fan of JD no7 but that stuff is just fine; think I prefer it to most bourbons Iv had.  I  may be tempted to try a single barrel bottling but heard they can be hit or miss . . .

Bourbon can get a bit too woody for me but that MD Jack D no 2 edition was perfectly balanced.  

The nerd in me thinks it must be a bit older than the standard and probably matured lower down in the warehouses, as they say it's the same as no. 7  just bottled at higher proof.  Not sure I buy that me self 

Edit - just checked it's on offer for £20 at Sainsburys if anyone's keen . . .

Edited by madthatter

Couldn't get it at my local Sainsbury's so paid £28 at Tesco. I'll have a look when I'm near another Sainsbury's - well worth hunting down. Not as nice as Gentleman Jack but not far off

Only ever had 2 single barrel bourbons and both gave me really bad heartburn so I've avoided them ever since

Couldn't get it at my local Sainsbury's so paid £28 at Tesco. I'll have a look when I'm near another Sainsbury's - well worth hunting down. Not as nice as Gentleman Jack but not far off

but 

Only ever had 2 single barrel bourbons and both gave me really bad heartburn so I've avoided them ever since

My mrs picked one up for me today but the bleedin bottles cracked so will have to replace tomorrow.

I love whisky but take pills for heartburn/acid reflux at minute (from too many anti-inflammatory drugs) and if I drink on a 'bad day' it nearly kills me.  Have to pour a small one and test the waters first.  Massive pain in the arse but could well be a blessing in disguise a few years down the road as I'm consuming less as a result.

I only have cask strength stuff after a few lower strength ones so as it doesn't ruin me and I can appreciate it better.  Adding a bit of water helps too but you don't want to be icing the good stuff do you?! ;) 

I take omeprazile for reflux/heartburn prevention but alcohol never caused a problem - it was always pastry, cakes and white bread. The single barrels brought it on even taking the pills. I never add water to Whisky only ever have it with ice and never have a mixer.

I take omeprazile for reflux/heartburn prevention but alcohol never caused a problem - it was always pastry, cakes and white bread. The single barrels brought it on even taking the pills. I never add water to Whisky only ever have it with ice and never have a mixer.

Pastry . . . just looking at a pasty gives me heartburn these days

Edited by madthatter

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a shite week, for many reasons, I'm about to crack open a Springbank 10.

Supposed to be one of the best malts around (at it's price) and all hand made on site.

Ahhhhhhhhh :)

edit - holy fcuk, that's good!

Edited by madthatter

Tesco have had the Master Distiller No 3 at £20 this week so I've bought 3 bottles so that should keep me occupied for a while

Awesome deal that!  I've got a No.1 and no.2 stashed away :) 

I don't know what it is about whisky, but I can drink it neat, on ice or with coke and that's it. Coke is a great mixer in whisky imo.

I drink 'good stuff' neat but like a JW red label on ice or with ginger ale.  Don't like any spirit mixed with coke except Lambs Navy rum.

Quite partial to the odd G&T as well to be fair - but who drinks gin neat?

• Site Supporter

Awesome deal that!  I've got a No.1 and no.2 stashed away :)

I drink 'good stuff' neat but like a JW red label on ice or with ginger ale.  Don't like any spirit mixed with coke except Lambs Navy rum.

Quite partial to the odd G&T as well to be fair - but who drinks gin neat?

piss pots

• 3 weeks later...

Tis the season . . .

Notable deals at minute for anyone that's interested:

Writers Tears at M&S £25 - awesome Irish Pot Still, great deal and picked one up Sat!  Also have Glenfarclas 12 at £32 which is a steal (and my favourite Speyside)!  Four Roses bourbon at £24 too!

usual suspects at supermarkets (Asda's best bet) like HP12, Old Pulteney, Aberlour at £25 ish

Masters of Malt also doing free delivery on orders over £49

Fill yer boots :) 

Interested in the M&S ones

Writers Tears - what does it compare to? Are we talking Redbreast league? Black Bush? Or a decent standard Bushmillls type?

Four Roses? Same question really. Any well known bourbon that it's similar to?

It's a pot still so malted and unmalted barley in the mash.  Redbreast is that style but that's more sherried whereas this is more bourbon cask.  Similar to the more upmarket Jameson like Black Barrel or Crested 10

I  find Bushmills more like lowland Scotch than Irish, as a general rule.   I'd probably say it's more similar to the RB.  Lovely drop, really honeyed and malty but with that 'coppery' spicy taste you get with pot stills.  I was given a bottle last summer and drank it in a month, which is rare for me as I have a few on the go - been waiting for this deal to come round again!   It's £35 in most places  #cheapskate :)

As Traf says Four Roses is a high rye bourbon (I think they have about 4 different mash bills that they blend - I'm a proper nerd on these things).  Not had Basil Hayden (supposed to be excellent!?) but Bulleit is another solid high rye one as is Jim Beam but I'm not such a fan of that.  

For me 4R is one of the best value bourbons you'll get here in the UK.  Floral and quite soft but @45%.  Really good vfm.  Think there's a link to a review on this thread a few pages back . . . 

Edited by madthatter

Woodford Reserve on offer at Tesco - £23.50 a bottle which is a steal if you're a fan of it.

Oooh!  Yes that is good, probably cheaper than a bottle of JD :)

Lovely caramelly one that - or 'Carmel' as they say stateside . . .

I love father's day, easter, xmas etc - it's whisky boom boom time ha ha

Forgot it was Father's Day coming up. That'll be a bottle of Makers Mark waiting for me in the morning then

Now I am a Dad I think it's the best idea ever - these Philistines who cynically say it's a marketing-made up day to generate sales are way off . . .

Ticket for Bristol whisky festival due my way next Sun :)   £35 and all you can sup for 5 hours . . .  "Nurse!"