Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Whisky

madthatter

Always liked a drop every now and then but this last couple of years or so, particularly when my mrs was pregnant, I've been getting well into it.

Mostly single malts, but like the American stuff as well, bourbon, rye and even tried a corn whiskey.

So much so I've horded a full wardrobe of the stuff over the last 18 months.

Anyways, anyone else on here into it and if so what's your tipple?

Top 3 this year are Ardbeg Uigedail, Benromach 10 and Glenfarclas 12.

I picked up a bottle Grants Family Reserve for £10 the other day - I expected mouth wash but was pleasantly surprised.

My mother used to force me to sup it as a kid along with brandy whenever I was ill and I'm still scarred mentally by the stuff to this day.

Mine used to pour an eggcup full of Bells in my mouth if I had toothache and make me keep it there for ages. Never been able to drink any sort of Scotch Whisky since

Gentleman Jacks my favourite, Makers Mark isn't bad and I like Black Bush (????). JD number 7 is always welcome as is your bog standard Bushmills

Never understood why anyone would add anything to Whisky/Bourbon other than ice

Edited by MancWanderer

Mine used to pour an eggcup full of Bells in my mouth if I had toothache and make me keep it there for ages. Never been able to drink any sort of Scotch Whisky since

Gentleman Jacks my favourite, Makers Mark isn't bad and I like Black Bush (). JD number 7 is always welcome as is your bog standard Bushmills

Never understood why anyone would add anything to Whisky/Bourbon other than ice

Heathen ;) 

Na, I'll add ice to some blends and I have to say I quite like a whisky and ginger ale, but I wouldn't be using an even half decent whisky as a mixer.

Bushmills I like a lot and have a bottle of BlackBush waiting in the wings!  Irish stuff goes down like pop

My mother used to force me to sup it as a kid along with brandy whenever I was ill and I'm still scarred mentally by the stuff to this day.

Whisky, lemon, honey and possibly a bit of fresh ginger has been my families cold remedy for about 200 years it would seem.

Works a treat

Fucking vile stuff. All of it.

:D  Couldn't touch it for years after downing near a whole bottle of Bells as a yoof!  

seems to be one of those things I've 'acquired' a taste for over the last few years.

Get a bottle of Johnny Walker Black, you'll be hooked soon enough

Aye, similar story here. One night as a 15 yr old that involved Bells, Thunderbird and cider. Just the smell of any of them makes me feel queasy to this day.

Mine was Bacardi. I woke up half way up the stairs without a stitch on hugging the yellow pages. I've no idea who I was trying to phone.

I Still love 16yr old Lagavulin.

Madhatter what should I try that compares?

You'll regret asking . . .  I can get a bit, er, a slight whiff of nerd about me on this subject ;) 

Lagavulin is peaty (Islay) and sherried so smokey, tangy and sweet.   Ardbeg Uigeadail is a cask strength whisky from the same area and is a better bet at around the same price - in fact it's fookin nectar.  I've not tried it but the Laphroaig PX cask would be similar I imagine, and gets rave reviews, but a bit out of my price range

Benromach 10 from Speyside is also excellent; more sherried and less peaty, but a top notch malt.