Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Ashes

L/H White

• Site Supporter

Not convinced england are managing the sledging/pressure situation particularly well. Root had a moan about smith laughing in a press conference- even though he was laughing at his colleagues story; which was quite numerous.

Discipline seems a bit dodgy too.

Something's not right; thought they'd be a bit more resilient. If however some of the stuff being said is OTT, then I'd like them to call the Aussies out straight away. Doing the gentlemanly thing doesn't seem to be working, so fight back

• Members

Doing the gentlemanly thing doesn't seem to be working, so fight back

Never has and never will against the Aussies. The chips were already pissed on with the Ben Stokes thing which set the mood for the tour.

Fucking stupid - they should have said "All this can be sorted out when we get back from Australia" which is what the Aussies would have done if it was Warner.

Giving your opponent the psychological edge before you even get on the plane is asinine.

We have to play jolly hockey sticks and 'do the right thing' though don't we?

Never has and never will against the Aussies. The chips were already pissed on with the Ben Stokes thing which set the mood for the tour.

Fucking stupid - they should have said "All this can be sorted out when we get back from Australia" which is what the Aussies would have done if it was Warner.

Giving your opponent the psychological edge before you even get on the plane is asinine.

Are we not then shifting the blame from Stokes?

Stokes was stupid, not an example we want setting to our kids.

"It's OK, junior, you go and twat someone, you'll still be in the team for important games and we'll deal with it after the Cup Final"

• Members

Are we not then shifting the blame from Stokes?

Stokes was stupid, not an example we want setting to our kids.

"It's OK, junior, you go and twat someone, you'll still be in the team for important games and we'll deal with it after the Cup Final"

There are two mentalities when it comes to sport.

1) "It's not the winning, it's the taking part which matters"

2) "Coming second makes you the first loser"

I know which one Australian sport in general subscribes to. When it comes to games that really matter, you don't hand your opponent any gifts.

Holding the moral high ground over people who have no morals is an exercise in futility.

• Members

I think you've misunderstood my point.

Stokes put his place in jeopardy, this current team has drink issues.

We're shooting ourselves in the foot and setting a shitty example to our kids.

Fair enough - hard to argue with that.

Gingers and alcohol always seems to be a volatile mix.

• Site Supporter

Agree with much of that - though as traf says, stokes was a dick, got caught on camera and is potentially facing a charge.

It is a pity though that the legal process seems to be taking so long

• Members

Always tried to go to all the Perth visits mate. If fact, ex-Wanderer Ian Seddon was out here on tour a few years back and ended up putting a photo of me with him at the WACA in the programme back there which was not welcomed in the slightest. HMRC and Interpol were fucking delighted. As an aside, it was he who introduced me to WWays so you all know who to blame now .

On another occasion, around 30 of my trifle slurping, England beach towel, knotted hanky, fez wearing fucktard mates and I went along and made the local TV and press (I stayed in the background out of shot) as the Australians hadn't a fucking clue what we were. One daft twat with a fucking great green Sombrero on walked up to me, pointed to my fez and said 'now that's a hat!'. When he suggested a swap he was advised to walk away in a copulatory fashion. Another asked me if I was a genuine Poo-Bah. 'Nah mate, Tommy Cooper Appreciation Society' had the fucker completely bamboozled.

Due to pressure of work, not able to go today or Friday but hoping for the weekend even though, incredibly, rain is forecast! If it's looking grim either play wise or weather wise I might give it a swerve. Not sure yet.

• Members

Lovely day mate. Would have been nice sipping a cold one at the decrepid WACA.

Future Ashes tests in Perth will be at the new stadium which is pretty flash.

I was hoping for 400+ on that wicket. Not looking too hopeful unless Bairstow and Malan can come up with big knocks.