Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Discuss

jayjayoghani

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Get yourself down to a one day international. Don't have to enjoy cricket as a rule, the atmosphere etc provides for a fine day out.

Hmmmmm I was a bit unfair to rounders earlier. I’d go to that.

• Site Supporter

Went to OT a few times; Lancs and England T20 games, Ashes, all sorts.

Each time we were in the Thomas Cook Sports enclosure which is dead square on to the square.

You know your eyes are fucked when you can’t even see the ball zipping across from a spinner!

• 2 years later...
  • Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If his feet were in the air when he touched the ball over the rope then it's out for me. 

You could argue his feet had already touched down over the boundary though. 

31 minutes ago, MickyD said:

You could argue his feet had already touched down over the boundary though. 

Irrelevant. 

It's all to do with when the ball is in contact with the fielder and whether the fielder is in contact with the ground over the boundary.

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Traf said:

It's a six in my book. If the ball passes the boundary, it's a six.

As DB states, in an ideal world, the boundaries, like at football, would be from the grass upwards. I looked at Law 19.5.2 which states:

Law 19.5.2 states: "A fielder who is not in contact with the ground is considered to be grounded beyond the boundary if his/her final contact with the ground, before his/her first contact with the ball after it has been delivered by the bowler, was not entirely within the boundary."

so, as clear as mud, there you have it.

• Site Supporter
On 02/01/2023 at 12:37, DazBob said:

Nothing like a bit of unnecessary pedantry to quell a discussion.

I used to get pissed off whenever a situation arose on the cricket pitch. You’d ask the question, “well, what’s the rule?”

Nothing would piss you off more than the club pedant pointing out there are no rules. 

Anyway, as to your point about rules/laws quelling discussion, I’d say the recent discussion about jumping about over the boundaries was quelled by being answered. Previous discussion stopped two years earlier so they weren’t quelled by a bit of pedantry either.

Let’s count how many ways you can be out.

• Site Supporter
On 02/01/2023 at 10:20, MickyD said:

As DB states, in an ideal world, the boundaries, like at football, would be from the grass upwards. I looked at Law 19.5.2 which states:

Law 19.5.2 states: "A fielder who is not in contact with the ground is considered to be grounded beyond the boundary if his/her final contact with the ground, before his/her first contact with the ball after it has been delivered by the bowler, was not entirely within the boundary."

so, as clear as mud, there you have it.

So if the first contact is within the boundary then subsequent touches don't count as grounded if the fielder is in the air at the time if contact. Therefore it's out.

That law is aimed at stopping fielders standing beyond the rope at the time of delivery. 

1 hour ago, Traf said:

Can a player leave and re-enter the field without permission from the umpire?

You need to be on the field of play when the bowler bowls it, ie you can't start 'walking in' from behind the boundary.

... and I'm not sure you can stop a fielder leaving the field of play and the re-entering whilst fielding the ball as that happens a lot when sliding to prevent a four.

• Site Supporter

Isn’t there also a rule about leaving the field (not sliding or stepping across the rope) for instance having rumbling guts and need the loo urgently, whatever time you’re away will be taken away from the time you can start to bowl once you return…

or something like that.