Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Nuclear Holocaust Pissheadery

deane koontz

34 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

My mum, god rest her soul, when enjoying an all too brief retirement rather belatedly took on the role of bored housewife.

She got a taste for having a wee nip of this (Scotsmac or Clan Dew) to liven up daytime telly, bingo or trips to Bolton Market. When I used to visit home to cadge food and/or money and steal clean towels I'd often find a bottle in the clean linen hamper. Sometimes it was an even worse generic version that Kwik-Save knocked out. She probably had to go cold turkey when my old man joined her in retirement.

Re: triangulation - a mate went through clearing and ended up at Sunderland, he formed a real society, like 100% crazy students do. 'The University of Sunderland White Cider Appreciation Society' would convene each Thursday early evening to debate the merits of that week's featured cider, the label off a bottle of the drink being considered would be plastered onto the wall of his halls room and comments would be recorded in biro underneath.

Omega, White Ace, Ice Dragon, White Lighting, Frosty Jack, Pulse, White Star etc. all had 'tastings'...

Me and a mate had to take up some of our G/L L'eau du vie - Special Red, for the society to consider as they couldn't get it up there.

After these sophisticated soirees they'd go out around Sunderland - class.

Aye that was another, Clan Dew that scored highly in triangulation 😆

Scotsmac,  Whiskymac, Clan Dew - Blended white wine of indeterminate origin mixed with blended whisky of similar unknown provenance - what's not to like?

Triangulation - I personally think Pulse 'Cider'  8.2% and, if one bulk buyed from 'Jerrys' on Woodgate Street one could knock him down to 99p per litre would make it hard to beat. Bavaria 8.6 was another bargain - think a four pack, often with free 'extra' to take the cans up to 500ml, cost was about £3.49.

Mansion House 'British Fortified Wine' 15 or 16% - and cheaper than Asda's cheapest regular wine iirc. Think 70cl was £2.49...went down too easily and was very moreish.

Skol 1080 and Kestrel Super were always stronger AND cheaper than Tennants Super or Special Brew. Kezzie Super did taste of wet dog - first can at least.

Pub/club bargains - 241 Cocktail night at Harvey's. - Long Island Iced teas, especially if you were friendly with the bar girl. Buy two glasses of wine get the bottle free at The Varsity - many day into night sessions doing that. Man and Scythe Scrumpy. Elephant Beer at Hawthorns. Bar Cuba was deadleg central at one point when pints were 99p. When Joey Holts took over The Brooklyn we were disgusted initially but after getting shitfaced for about nine quid on the 'rancid for the first couple of pints' Diamond Lager, which was advertised as 5.2% but was more likely 7.2%, we changed our tune.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I bought a four pack of that for £1.99 from the One Stop Shop near Townleys - our last normal summer.

Fuck mop - I'm a goat concerning alcohol, I'd sup owt,  I'd sup fermented mare's piss.

But Bud light was another level - it makes the regular Budweiser piss taste like an artesan Czech lager pulled by a 90's Eva Herzigova* in the best bar in Ceske-Budovice...

It's easily the worst alcohol I've ever consumed, by far - and once, as a poor student, I made a big jug of 'Bellini' (well I say jug, it was actually a 3L plastic bottle with the neck sawn off) - it was the night big Frank beat McCall for the WBC title.

I needed pint money to get into the pub and watch the fight - and money was so tight I couldn't afford even the cheapest blackcurrant cordial to make Diesel with the 3L pre-pub drinks bottle of (8.4%) Omega cider I'd bought, probably scraping a few more pence for 10 Embassy Filter too... What I did have as a mixer in lieu of cordial was 4xdented tins of peach halves in syrup I'd procured much earlier for 60p from an asian grocers (and a stick blender).

The resultant concoction was vile - like drinking vomit, and I think the peaches were kickstarted into fermentation by the Knight Rider as I was still pissed Monday Morning.

Anyhow, I'd drink Bellini A La Youri all day long over 'one can - instant hangover' Bud Light.

I'd even choose Cointreau over it - one of the few boozes that the smell alone of makes me retch - since another youthful experiment went badly wrong.

* Eva - In her 90's pomp.

article-0-0B682E2100000578-937_468x627.j

dilly dilly

• Site Supporter

If you have a Tesco club card, you can get a bottle of Woodford reserve bourbon for £20.

Its a remarkable price.

@Youri McAnespie will be along shortly to point out that £20 will buy you 5 litres of Jock McThistle’s medicinal copper pot distilled turpentine and a gift box of miniatures containing 5 plastic bottles of 30 day matured pocheen at 87% abv 

• Members
1 hour ago, Spider said:

If you have a Tesco club card, you can get a bottle of Woodford reserve bourbon for £20.

Its a remarkable price.

@Youri McAnespie will be along shortly to point out that £20 will buy you 5 litres of Jock McThistle’s medicinal copper pot distilled turpentine and a gift box of miniatures containing 5 plastic bottles of 30 day matured pocheen at 87% abv 

Yeah that’s quality. I’ll take a trip later. 
Got vodka, Malibu, gin, beer get some rum in.

I saw lambs spiced 1l for £15 but can’t remember where 

3 hours ago, Rudy said:

@Youri McAnespie what’s the skinny on spirits in our bank of BWFC?

Not much doing I'm afraid.

Did notice ready mix cans of GnT for 79p though.

With my ahem, history - I tend to give spirits a wide berth these days. Also, until Covid, I'd visit Las Palmas three or four times a year - spirits are dirt cheap there, 1L of Vodka for four or five quid - this goes to the head of the Scandinavians, used to rationing and ridiculous prices for spirits at the opposite end of the scale. Many a time you must step over a comatose Swede or Finn having a powernap on the brickpaving of Paseo de Las Canteras, they've been getting into the spirit of things too heartily. Anyhow, it's spoiled me, I laugh when I see 'bargains' here like £12 for 70cl of Bacardi.

That said I went in B+M Burnden last night for a gander, it's pretty crap but they did have 70cl bottles of Di Antonio Amaretto (22%) for about £4.99. I bought one in the vain hope we'll be allowed back before the weather turns and it'll be just the ticket for fortifying flasks of coffee at a frozzen Unibol. In reality it'll probably get done in one evening when I get pissed and run out when the shops have shut.

I had a wee nip last night in a decaff latte (hello sailor!) and it was alreet.

I'm sure it's mispriced as online B+M have it priced up at £6.99.

I might nip for one or two more before they realise their mistake.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Its a remarkable price.

Bourbon is whisky for; septics, girls, glam rockers (of the Mötley Crüe variety, not the T-Rex kind) and 'men' who also drink 'Bud' and 'WKD'.

My mate gets all sorts of weird hooches - shop bought as well as illicit moonshines distilled in the woods, from contacts in the Baltics and central/eastern Europe.

He refuses to give me any - says I turn nasty on them. Nonsense.

He asked to store some of his brewing stuff at my house. Amongst which was a crate of empty stoneware bottles he was planning to reuse. They'd contained Lithuanian 'Mead' - non-distilled, essentially a 'beer', except it's about 50%...Anyhow, he hadn't checked the crate properly, there was a full sealed bottle (Sutkinis is the name) amongst the empties.

I just considered it rent for the storage space - I had a good few weeks having tots of that with beer chasers 😀.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Burnden Asda, mate - it's not with the main beer section - it's on a rack end of aisle with the other stuff mentioned. Think it was at the end of the cider/bitter/stout row - the end towards the pop and juice etc.  aisle - not the end near the tills.

Find the three for a fiver craft becks etc. bit near the tills and follow that side up - you should find the slabs of Sagres, magners, Brothers and yes Red Stripe.

They can't have sold out surely?

• Moderators

and a beer 52 box of 12 just turned up and looks good

fuck it

had Sun/Mon off and feeling confident of a partially dry January (Fri/Sat and maybe one other night a week, if the footy is on or something)

2 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

6 cans and a glass delivered just now from Polly Brew

meant to be saving them till Friday

probably won't

Love their stuff, esp El Dorado