Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Name the ground

miamiwhite

4 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

great shot of Burnden on this one Mick 

Some cracking pics on that site, Huddersfield had one hell of terracing running along side, but for the small Cow Shed behind the goal it could have easily matched Charlton as having the highest capacity in England which in 70/71 could hold 66'000.

10 minutes ago, leigh white said:

I managed to do all 92 in the 70s, fuck me, must be half the list what's gone and relocated or dropped out. No way i'm starting again.

You did well being in your 70's mate 👍 

Has anyone ever heard this story re Sunderland v United.....it's halfway down the link,....must be their equivalent of our Darlington game

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/classic-roker-park-matches-sunderlands-13003939

7 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

You did well being in your 70's mate 👍 

Has anyone ever heard this story re Sunderland v United.....it's halfway down the link,....must be their equivalent of our Darlington game

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/classic-roker-park-matches-sunderlands-13003939

It's like our game at Wembley in 23 or the Stoke game at Burnden in 46, just estimates for folk who jibbed in.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, miamiwhite said:

some belters on here, especially Swansea and Doncaster. Roker Park looks good too

https://artsandculture.google.com/exhibit/lost-football-grounds/QgLC4DjNNGlNKQ

Didn't spot Highfield Road straight away in amongst everything else

Maine Road looks mint, but I'm not telling a City fan that

• Site Supporter
47 minutes ago, leigh white said:

I can recall that, some pre match season friendly. Makeshift weapons causing a lot of mayhem on the Long End, I doubt the ground would've been full.

Fairly sure there was a fly-on-wall documentary about it. Celtic fans dismantling a park railing and launching the resulting spears.

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Fairly sure there was a fly-on-wall documentary about it. Celtic fans dismantling a park railing and launching the resulting spears.

Correct, i didn't mind the coin chucking frogs aimed at our heads in Marseille, and we gave it back, but a spear chucking contest would be beyond me.