Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Lockdown/ Corona Books

Not in Crawley

Has the past 12 months changed what you've been reading or get any good recommendations? Last 12 months I've read some belters (and some shit to be fair) built up a fair list to get through but always on the lookout for more. The pile so far is

- just finished Erebus after watching The Terror on BBC, well worth it

- 90% of everything, almost finished about the shipping trade, really decent read

- The Lost Men, reading in tandem with 90% about shackleton's failed trip

- Sick on Me, legendary story about a early punk band, will start soon

- Short History of Europe by Simon Jenkins

- London, Burning - the only fiction book in a while so can't wait about London in the 70s

- The Essex Serpent - had this on a list for a while.

So I need a few more fiction books, normally have a couple on the go at once and because eof the book prizes there are loads of sales at the moment 

• Moderators

Over the last 12 months, read:

The Room - Hubert Selby Jr

1984 - George Orwell

Black Mirror & Philosophy: Dark Reflections - William Irwin

I Am Legend - Richard Matheson

The Road - Cormac McCarthy

currently on The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things - JT LeRoy

basically

anything to keep my spirits up it would seem

23 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I’ve tended to keep myself amused by reading the pro EU posters on here over the last 12 months and their views on what would happen post brexit. Been an abundance of far fetched fiction. Great read. Give it a go NIC 😎

Scotland would become independent, there would be a return to Northern Ireland sectarian violence and the economy would hit the skids? 2 out of three ain't bad - and I reckon we might be in for a hat trick before too long.

Visionaries! 😁

38 minutes ago, Zico said:

Over the last 12 months, read:

The Room - Hubert Selby Jr

1984 - George Orwell

Black Mirror & Philosophy: Dark Reflections - William Irwin

I Am Legend - Richard Matheson

The Road - Cormac McCarthy

currently on The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things - JT LeRoy

basically

anything to keep my spirits up it would seem

The road is bloody depressing and I didn't think that god, 1984 in no rush to re read as we seem to be living it. The room I did like.

Cheery little list!

5 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Scotland would become independent, there would be a return to Northern Ireland sectarian violence and the economy would hit the skids? 2 out of three ain't bad - and I reckon we might be in for a hat trick before too long.

Visionaries! 😁

Ouch.

This a thread about books, Esco - lets not bring other tawdry threads into this...

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

The road is bloody depressing and I didn't think that god, 1984 in no rush to re read as we seem to be living it. The room I did like.

Cheery little list!

aye

films/books, the more bleak they are, the more I enjoy them

lined up I've got:

The Demon - Selby Jr

Child of God and Blood Meridian - McCarthy

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - Dick

South: The Endurance Expedition - Ernest Shackleton, which I started prior to the pandemic, but didn't get roud to finishing, so going to have to start again

11 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Visionaries! 😁

The economy has hit the skids because of brexit? Are you sure? Have a read of what BD posted earlier. 😎 1 out of 3 with the one never actually having gone away so not really a prediction. So 0/2 so what’s that make it? A 0% success rate?

afraid that’s not visionary tackle Kent my old mucker 

9 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Ouch.

This a thread about books, Esco - lets not bring other tawdry threads into this...

I’ve read two non fiction books this last year. One being the auto biography of a British boxer and one being a book about pol pot. The latter well worth a read IMO 

Edited by Escobarp

2 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

- The Lost Men, reading in tandem with 90% about shackleton's failed trip

Is that the one about the other team that lay the supply depots?  Shackleton's story is an amazing tale but I was shocked at what that other team had to endure and that I had never heard anything about it.

Proper heroes them men.

1 minute ago, Duck Egg said:

Is that the one about the other team that lay the supply depots?  Shackleton's story is an amazing tale but I was shocked at what that other team had to endure and that I had never heard anything about it.

Proper heroes them men.

Yeahnits about the full party, the other team had it really bad. 

6 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Yeahnits about the full party, the other team had it really bad. 

The one I read was 'Shackleton's forgotten men'.  Excellent book. I've got Amundsen on the shelf that's next up when I've finished a rather tedious footy one.

16 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

The one I read was 'Shackleton's forgotten men'.  Excellent book. I've got Amundsen on the shelf that's next up when I've finished a rather tedious footy one.

See I need an Amundsen book, for all our heroes. Franklin has a huge monument and dies finding the North West passage, who did it first? Amundsen. South Pole? Scott second and died, Amundsen first and didn't.

We love gallant failure on these Isles.

But shackleton - thats a leader you want when the chips are down.

Admundsen was a dog-eating cunt.

Benedict Allen, an Englishman, ate his dog, but felt suitably ashamed of himself.

He didn't take selfies of himself looking smug and portly after doing it either.

Unlike Roald.

I've barely looked at a book since last year. I was showing someone around a house then mainly used for storage, there was a load of books stacked in one corner, he asked if they were mine, and then if I'd read them 'all' (about 200) - I answered truthfully 'yes', then pondered to myself how many I'd enjoyed and/or found enlightening or educational.

About five, if that.

I decided on the spot not to waste any further time on the pursuit.

Reading for 'pleasure' that is - one may as well sit watching repeats of 'Minder' (I've stopped doing that too).

Edited by Youri McAnespie

1 hour ago, Zico said:

aye

films/books, the more bleak they are, the more I enjoy them

lined up I've got:

The Demon - Selby Jr

Child of God and Blood Meridian - McCarthy

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - Dick

South: The Endurance Expedition - Ernest Shackleton, which I started prior to the pandemic, but didn't get roud to finishing, so going to have to start again

Fuck me, it's a hard going, but worth sticking with. I'd read "No Country For Old Men" after watching the film. Loved book & film.

I've bought The Border Trilogy recently. Hopefully start them in the next few months....

Just started Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstock so not in a position to recommend it yet.

Other than that then in the past few months:

The Stars My Destination - Alfred Bester, enjoyable enough but it's a bit pulp sci-fi so won't be for everyone

Slaughterhouse Prayer - John King, didn't finish it the first time through so had another go and it's ok in parts but summat about it was just a bit shite

*Flake - Matthew Dooley

*Barking - Lucy Sullivan

*Blackwood - Hannah Eaton

*Four Colour Fear - Greg Sadowski

* graphic novels or comics - worth a go but only if you can borrow them from someone

And factual(ish) ones:

Soccernomics - Simon Kuper, another one I didn't finish and went back to and wasn't really worth the effort

Lancashire Folk - Melanie Warren, wanted summat with a bit more info and depth so probably bought the wrong thing than the book being shite

34 minutes ago, jeep said:

Fuck me, it's a hard going, but worth sticking with. I'd read "No Country For Old Men" after watching the film. Loved book & film.

I've bought The Border Trilogy recently. Hopefully start them in the next few months....

No money for old rope, rubbish book, dreadful film.

36 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Admundsen was a dog-eating cunt.

Benedict Allen, an Englishman, ate his dog, but felt suitably ashamed of himself.

He didn't take selfies of himself looking smug and portly after doing it either.

Unlike Roald.

I've barely looked at a book since last year. I was showing someone around a house then mainly used for storage, there was a load of books stacked in one corner, he asked if they were mine, and then if I'd read them 'all' (about 200) - I answered truthfully 'yes', then pondered to myself how many I'd enjoyed and/or found enlightening or educational.

About five, if that.

I decided on the spot not to waste any further time on the pursuit.

Reading for 'pleasure' that is - one may as well sit watching repeats of 'Minder' (I've stopped doing that too).

Frankiln's team ate their collegues.

Come on Youri, you used to be funny - you're better than this.