Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

One for Tyldesley

bolty58

• Members

This here deadly tornado? Don't they build homes with steel frames? The wreckage resembles broken matchsticks.

We have a problem in the north of this state with cyclones. All council building regs up there insist on steel frames. Hard to believe that a country as advanced as the US would build in an area subject to an annual tornado season from what looks like balsa wood with weatherboard cladding?

16 hours ago, bolty58 said:

This here deadly tornado? Don't they build homes with steel frames? The wreckage resembles broken matchsticks.

We have a problem in the north of this state with cyclones. All council building regs up there insist on steel frames. Hard to believe that a country as advanced as the US would build in an area subject to an annual tornado season from what looks like balsa wood with weatherboard cladding?

What, you aren't familiar with AS 1684 Part 3 residential timber framed construction in cyclonic regions? 🙂 

Although not sure I suspect the reason is tornadoes occur very locally (can be just one street) whereas cyclones generally affect very large areas.

Also designing a house to withstand a tornado requires serious engineering, probably reinforced concrete frame, slabs and walls etc.  Even then it may be inadequate, tornados have been known to throw stuff like cars into buildings. 

Tornado proofing (again not an expert) in practice just requires a basement refuge (?) so life is preserved. 

Mate met a maid from Alabama on holiday in Mexico (fried eggs now enhanced to twin grapefruits). Married and moved there going total redneck 

Anyhow, I digress, she said that they go for timber construction as it will splinter into bits less likely to take out next house than an aluminium (a lume min num) window system , so insurance with litigation cover is possible. 

She was a dumb ass (a purty one mind) check out girl so could have been drivel.

• Members
On 27/03/2023 at 11:18, jayjayoghani said:

What, you aren't familiar with AS 1684 Part 3 residential timber framed construction in cyclonic regions? 🙂 

Although not sure I suspect the reason is tornadoes occur very locally (can be just one street) whereas cyclones generally affect very large areas.

Also designing a house to withstand a tornado requires serious engineering, probably reinforced concrete frame, slabs and walls etc.  Even then it may be inadequate, tornados have been known to throw stuff like cars into buildings. 

Tornado proofing (again not an expert) in practice just requires a basement refuge (?) so life is preserved. 

I defer to your greater knowledge by virtue of your field of expertise young man.

I wait for the day when you stick your oar into the world of industrial gearboxes ;)

On 26/03/2023 at 03:01, bolty58 said:

I would go for cost, but the issue also is it was Mississippi , that area as like over 50% living in poverty, tailer homes or a house that are decades old. they have having trouble eating let alone build a house, and EF4 Tornado ( wind speed 207 to 260 mph ) or and F5 (261 to 318 mph) , do what you want not much is standing in the way of those speeds