Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Crumble or pie?

33 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Sounds good.

Similar concept to the tomato growing industry, for example. 

Some of the experimental places I've seen on the TV etc are like laboratories!

Our produce is produced to high standards (for the most part) but production is being pressured from various sides, so any innovation is welcome.

Any more on those little robot doofers that can go between rows of crops, zapping weeds as they move?

Yep, loads of them out there at the minute on Beta testing, as you'd expect, at secret locations - I went to one such location, in a Vineyard, and have seen them at work. Apparently another 3 or 4 years of testing still to go. The more advanced ones, also know the incoming weather, and can scuttle away to safety before getting caught in anything heavy. Impressive stuff, but ultimately based on the same sort of tech as these robot vacuum cleaners that many folk have these days

• Site Supporter

Doing any of these visits in Herefordshire/Worcestershire/Gloucestershire?

When down there, we'd go to this fruit place (amongst others) that had a table in the car park with an honesty box.

Huge concerns supplying supermarkets, but you could just drive in and buy some ad if it was a little farm somewhere. Great.

I know you can't say, but I could imagine Three Queers Vineyard being into this tech.

52 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

There were initial concerns over the flavour of hydroponic system produced food. Dunno if that's improved since, probably has.

Don't know if your new strawberry method uses such technology. 

I once saw a circular system that fed the plants with water and nutrients, the water would then continue into a tank/pool of fish that would eat any waste bits from the plants, and then the fish water containing fish shit would go back into the growing areas, providing nutrients. Meant less overall waste and cheaper for fertiliser. 

I can't say too much about the system, but you may not be a million miles away from it there with regards to nutrient rich water recycling - the place has it's own little eco-system. Specific wavelength lighting at specific times of the day/year, controlled humidity etc.

To be fair, the bloke I spoke to said something along the lines of "If we ate these things when we're supposed to, there would be no need for all this, people just now expect to get fresh fruit all year round, instead of when nature actually wants to produce it"  -  there's certainly something in that

44 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

When down there, we'd go to this fruit place (amongst others) that had a table in the car park with an honesty box.

All the farms round here do that for their veg and eggs

• Site Supporter
53 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I can't say too much about the system, but you may not be a million miles away from it there with regards to nutrient rich water recycling - the place has it's own little eco-system. Specific wavelength lighting at specific times of the day/year, controlled humidity etc.

To be fair, the bloke I spoke to said something along the lines of "If we ate these things when we're supposed to, there would be no need for all this, people just now expect to get fresh fruit all year round, instead of when nature actually wants to produce it"  -  there's certainly something in that

My biggest complaint, particularly with the supermarkets. 

End up with picked-to-early products that are lacking in flavour when transported around the world.

The new techniques are a fight back against it.

They should also help reduce the carbon footprint of such imports.

• Site Supporter
57 minutes ago, Sweep said:

All the farms round here do that for their veg and eggs

Some here too.

The unusual thing about the one I mentioned in Herefordshire is that it was a massive, industrial type place, a sort of juxtaposition with a table and a box in the huge car park.

• Members
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Sweep said:

I'm not sure anybody has said that, or anything like it

Your Australian Strawberries may be shit, and I know this will massively disappoint you, but the local ones grown on the farm near me are lovely, and have been both during and after our membership of the EU :)

I am very pleased to hear it. Won't buy them here now. Overpriced and tasteless (those cunts in Brussels will be behind it somehow, mark my words ;) ).

Our annual Spanish sojourn will be coming along soon. We buy them there from a local who farms goats. A euro for a punnet which is the size of a standard bucket. They are as good as it gets.

Edited by bolty58

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Sweep said:

We're fully aware that's where a lot of this tech is headed 😊

When these cannabis farms are raided, I don't understand why the equipment isn't given to companies legitimately producing food.

I remember some of my former colleagues being tasked with helping clear one such site, and all equipment and plants were taken directly to the tip, after being smashed up beforehand. 

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

When these cannabis farms are raided, I don't understand why the equipment isn't given to companies legitimately producing food.

I remember some of my former colleagues being tasked with helping clear one such site, and all equipment and plants were taken directly to the tip, after being smashed up beforehand. 

There are two hydroponic shops I know of; one in Wigan close to football, er, sorry, close to the rugby ground and one in Bolton behind Lord Clyde.

If I was a drug cop I’d just watch folk coming out and deciding if they’re growing tomatoes, strawberries or anything else.

5 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

At a guess, it'd all need testing/calibrating to ensure that it's safe to use, with regards to not just the circuitry but also the various wavelengths being produced. That's too much hassle, far easier to just scrap the lot

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, MickyD said:

There are two hydroponic shops I know of; one in Wigan close to football, er, sorry, close to the rugby ground and one in Bolton behind Lord Clyde.

If I was a drug cop I’d just watch folk coming out and deciding if they’re growing tomatoes, strawberries or anything else.

Went in national greenhouse around 12 months back. Decent enough place and helpful staff, but its environs are shite.

Used to do the grass round there, and always had an eye out for scrotes on the rob.