L/H White

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no winner with more than 11st 1lb since 1983

Indeed.

The trends will tell you that a "typical" National winner:

- Carries 11 stone or less (it?s VERY tough to lug more than that round Aintree?s ultimate test)

- Aged 8-12 (not too young, not too old)

- Won over 3m+ (it?s 4 and a half miles on Saturday!)

- Won in a field of 12 or more (there?ll be forty of them on Saturday!)

- No French bred has since 1909. What chance a centennial winner?!

- Must be an experienced chaser (more than ten runs, more than two seasons chasing)

- Had four to seven runs this season (as every winner bar Miinehoma since 1990 has)

- Placed in the first three that season prior to the Grand National

the rule i follow

age 9 or 10

weight 10-4 --- 11.0

then i start to look at the form - length of races building up to this , dont like anything thathad to many runs this season

i,ve narrowed it down to -

rambling minstrel

l,ami

darkness

r.m to win the other 2 e.way .

the rule i follow

age 9 or 10

weight 10-4 --- 11.0

then i start to look at the form - length of races building up to this , dont like anything thathad to many runs this season

i,ve narrowed it down to -

rambling minstrel

l,ami

darkness

r.m to win the other 2 e.way .

Rambling Minstrel is a good call IMO.

Paddypower are doing the first five too.

There was a preview of the race on the Spoiler yesterday:-

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2009...ill-be%e2%80%a6

Step One

14 of the last 17 winners started in the top eight of the betting. Therefore it must be one of these guys (three are joint-eighth):

My Will, Butler?s Cabin, Rambling Minister, State of Play, Hear The Echo, Parsons Legacy, Darkness, Comply or Die, Black Apalachi or Irish Invader

Step Two

10 of the last 13 winners have been aged either 9 or 10. That means we say goodbye to Rambling Minister (11), Hear The Echo (8), Parsons Legacy (11) and Irish Invader (8). Still fighting are:

My Will, Butler?s Cabin, State of Play, Darkness, Comply or Die and Black Apalachi

Step Three

No horse since Red Rum in 1974 has won the Grand National in successive years. That rules out Comply or Die, leaving us with:

My Will, Butler?s Cabin, State of Play, Darkness and Black Apalachi

Step Four

A century has passed without a French-bred winner. That?s bad news for My Will and Butler?s Cabin. Still in with a chance are:

State of Play, Darkness and Black Apalachi

Step Five

Only one of the last 19 winners have been carrying over 11 stone. As State of Play (11-02) and Black Apalachi (11-05) have been heavily handicapped that means the winner should be?

Darkness!

Paddypower are doing the first five too.

There was a preview of the race on the Spoiler yesterday:-

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2009...ill-be%e2%80%a6

Step One

14 of the last 17 winners started in the top eight of the betting. Therefore it must be one of these guys (three are joint-eighth):

My Will, Butler?s Cabin, Rambling Minister, State of Play, Hear The Echo, Parsons Legacy, Darkness, Comply or Die, Black Apalachi or Irish Invader

Step Two

10 of the last 13 winners have been aged either 9 or 10. That means we say goodbye to Rambling Minister (11), Hear The Echo (8), Parsons Legacy (11) and Irish Invader (8). Still fighting are:

My Will, Butler?s Cabin, State of Play, Darkness, Comply or Die and Black Apalachi

Step Three

No horse since Red Rum in 1974 has won the Grand National in successive years. That rules out Comply or Die, leaving us with:

My Will, Butler?s Cabin, State of Play, Darkness and Black Apalachi

Step Four

A century has passed without a French-bred winner. That?s bad news for My Will and Butler?s Cabin. Still in with a chance are:

State of Play, Darkness and Black Apalachi

Step Five

Only one of the last 19 winners have been carrying over 11 stone. As State of Play (11-02) and Black Apalachi (11-05) have been heavily handicapped that means the winner should be?

Darkness!

as per my previous post - i have backed darkness e.w. the problem though in the past has been dodgy jumping - even when you look through the races its won - it has hit a fence or two.

as per my previous post - i have backed darkness e.w. the problem though in the past has been dodgy jumping - even when you look through the races its won - it has hit a fence or two.

Thats what i thought when i looked into its past races, if it hits a few of the fences at aintree its gonna be fucked. It hadnt run for a while until its last race a Newbury as well which is a worry imo.

The fences at Aintree looked very lose yesterday, and horses were just going straight through them when they raced on the Grand National course.

Could well mean that we see less fallers and that horses such as Darkness which arent great over the fences are in with more of a chance.

The fences at Aintree looked very lose yesterday, and horses were just going straight through them when they raced on the Grand National course.

Could well mean that we see less fallers and that horses such as Darkness which arent great over the fences are in with more of a chance.

Im think they may sort the fences out at the end of each day, so they will be back to normal for the big race i think. Sometimes during the race gaps appear in the fences where the jockeys might aim for to make it easier for the horse, i think Red rum used to do something like that.

My concerns about Darkness are: he only tends to win with McCoy on board and McCoy is riding Butler's Cabin.

This suggests that he needs some help getting round. His jockey tomorrow has never ridden him before!

Indeed.

The trends will tell you that a "typical" National winner:

- Carries 11 stone or less (it?s VERY tough to lug more than that round Aintree?s ultimate test)

- Aged 8-12 (not too young, not too old)

- Won over 3m+ (it?s 4 and a half miles on Saturday!)

- Won in a field of 12 or more (there?ll be forty of them on Saturday!)

- No French bred has since 1909. What chance a centennial winner?!

- Must be an experienced chaser (more than ten runs, more than two seasons chasing)

- Had four to seven runs this season (as every winner bar Miinehoma since 1990 has)- Placed in the first three that season prior to the Grand National

Another negative for Darkness is its only had 3 races since april 06.