Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cuba Or Jamaica

Thinking of booking a late deal for next Tuesday, wanting 2 weeks AI.

Has anyone been to either? Bit wary that they might be rough as fook outside of the resort so could do with further opinion....

Cheers.

Thinking of booking a late deal for next Tuesday, wanting 2 weeks AI.

Has anyone been to either? Bit wary that they might be rough as fook outside of the resort so could do with further opinion....

Cheers.

JA: went this time of year c2004; rained every afternoon for a couple of hours, tropical rain, then was nice and cool afterwards; really enjoyed it, but get out and about, don't pen yourself into the resort.

Cuba; going next Jan, when it is dry (apart from underwater, which is supposed to be pretty good) and looking forward to seeing Havana

Edited by boltondiver

Went to Cuba start of July 2003. Stayed in Varadero. Lovely place. All the hotels in that area are nice, beaches are fantastic, very good diving. Can swim with the dolphins, if that type of thing tickles your fancy. Havana's an experience - was quite poor and dirty, but great atmosphere and never got any trouble.

Went to Cuba start of July 2003. Stayed in Varadero. Lovely place. All the hotels in that area are nice, beaches are fantastic, very good diving. Can swim with the dolphins, if that type of thing tickles your fancy. Havana's an experience - was quite poor and dirty, but great atmosphere and never got any trouble.

I went to Cayo Guillermo in 2007 and going again next May. I totally agree with what felgate says. Been to Havana and Trinidad de Cuba (Cuba's supposedly 2nd city) and although may look, and actually is, poor, the people are some of the most friendliest in the world.

Useless fact no.????

Cuba produces more doctors (health and not educational) per person than any other country in the world.

(well thats what the guide says)

and watch out for the yellow Connexxion (Dutch) buses with destinations such as Rotterdam, Utrecht, Hoorn and even Haarlem!!! :blink:

I went to Cayo Guillermo in 2007 and going again next May. I totally agree with what felgate says. Been to Havana and Trinidad de Cuba (Cuba's supposedly 2nd city) and although may look, and actually is, poor, the people are some of the most friendliest in the world.

Useless fact no.????

Cuba produces more doctors (health and not educational) per person than any other country in the world.

(well thats what the guide says)

and watch out for the yellow Connexxion (Dutch) buses with destinations such as Rotterdam, Utrecht, Hoorn and even Haarlem!!! :blink:

Aren't you banned?

Back but on a good behaviour bond - so no arguments or sly digs from me. (trial period)

So we can wind you up, but you can't fight back?

So we can wind you up, but you can't fight back?

If you want :drinks: BUT although I do come on here evey day reading threads and posts (and have done since I was banned btw), I will very rarely post unless I can actually contribute something sensibly. My main forum nowadays is Burnden Aces.

All I will say it apologies for hiajcking the thread, and c'mon the whites.

Cuba is a greta country, fantastic people, gorgeous white sand, clear blue waters and cheap (especially if you go fully inclusive - only pay for trips outside the resort)

Edited by DutchWhites

Guest squidgy66

Can't say anything about resorts but, from a travelling perspective, Havana is one of my favourite cities on the planet.

Spent a couple of days there about 10 years back. Like someone pointed out it is very poor, but I've never know a coutry where they accepted that they were poor and made the best out of it in such a way.

Food is a bit difficult to come by as restaurants away from the resorts tend to be government run and few and far between. The whole place is a bit dilapadated but that sort of adds to it's charm. Great music, cold beer and really friendly people. The old cadillacs bimbling about the place were also an attraction in themselves

All in all I would thoroughly recommend it if you like travelling as opposed to just going on holiday :good:

If you want :drinks: BUT although I do come on here evey day reading threads and posts (and have done since I was banned btw), I will very rarely post unless I can actually contribute something sensibly. My main forum nowadays is Burnden Aces.

All I will say it apologies for hiajcking the thread, and c'mon the whites.

Cuba is a greta country, fantastic people, gorgeous white sand, clear blue waters and cheap (especially if you go fully inclusive - only pay for trips outside the resort)

To be fair, you were never great at fighting back!! :drinks:

to be more accurate I was bloody useless :pardon:

Well, praise and acknowledgement to the powers that be for showing understanding, mercy and compassion.

Went to Jamaica this March - had a good time, food drinks all good, but the people in the hotel were always tyring to squeeze money out of you.

Went to Cuba last year and it wasn't my cup of tea to much poverty, although the wife loved it and wants to go back.

Jamaica would be my preference.

• Site Supporter

I've been to Cuba and really enjoyed it, we stayed in Varedero and the hotel was tip top, food was pretty good considering (frogs legs are actually quite nice!) and really nice beaches where you don't get hassled off the locals. It is also completely safe to leave the hotels and see some of the bars and markets etc. Still pissed off at myself for not seeing Havana while we were there though.

Cheap too compared to all of the other Caribbean islands (except Dominican that is)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.