Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Saddo Stewards

was wondering if someone at the powers that be could have a word with that head steward with the funny hair in the lower east to have a word with his troops to start shouting "oh stand up"in stead of "oh sidown" all the time,the away fans stand all the time which makes for more noise so why cant we do the same....

Because Mick, It annoys the hell out of me. I try to sit and watch a game in a seat I have rented for the season only to get ' louts' spoil my view standing up and trying to get the crowd going. The stewards should eject these morons and let us proper fans enjoy the game in peace......

sit in the west stand then.

Because Mick, It annoys the hell out of me. I try to sit and watch a game in a seat I have rented for the season only to get ' louts' spoil my view standing up and trying to get the crowd going. The stewards should eject these morons and let us proper fans enjoy the game in peace......

Spot on!

We cant have our cake and eat it, if every fan was to sit for 90 mins (obviously bar goals) then we can say good bye to ever getting any sort of decent atmosphere back at the Reebok. You cant get a decent atmosphere going when you are all sat down.

The club should earmark areas of the ground where intermittant standing is accepted and have arreas where it is not. Each to there own then, i know lads who like a drink and try to get an atmosphere going and they get pissed off getting a tug after 2 mins from someone behind them, they end up fucking off downstairs for a beer after 10 mins. Whilst i appreciate its an all seater stadium and there are certain health and safety rules etc i think it would be possible to have tollerance zone i.e ESL from away fans to half way line 3/4 blocks.

The stewards seem to have laid of the lads in the corner, you used to see 5+ lads get thrown out every game.

We cant have our cake and eat it

Kind of silly to have a cake and not eat it, it will go bad.

You cant get a decent atmosphere going when you are all sat down.

Why not?

The club should earmark areas of the ground where intermittant standing is accepted and have arreas where it is not. Each to there own then, i know lads who like a drink and try to get an atmosphere going and they get pissed off getting a tug after 2 mins from someone behind them, they end up fucking off downstairs for a beer after 10 mins. Whilst i appreciate its an all seater stadium and there are certain health and safety rules etc i think it would be possible to have tollerance zone i.e ESL from away fans to half way line 3/4 blocks.

So you're saying although its unsafe to stand up, we should have an area where people can injur themselves and sue BWFC?

Kind of silly to have a cake and not eat it, it will go bad.

Why not?

So you're saying although its unsafe to stand up, we should have an area where people can injur themselves and sue BWFC?

Why Not??? The atmosphere coming from fans stood up is much better then from fans sat down, probably to do with the fact that standing opens up the diaphragm of the body? I cannot remember a decent atmosphere coming from a croud sat down?

I am not saying its unsafe to stand up, just that there a rules governing all seater stadiums, united nearly got into bother with trafford council because they where stood up for the whole 90mins.

All i am saying is it would be best for all concerned if there was a tolerance zone and a zero tollerance zone, that way we would cater for everyone and have a much better atmosphere in the long run.

Why Not??? The atmosphere coming from fans stood up is much better then from fans sat down, probably to do with the fact that standing opens up the diaphragm of the body? I cannot remember a decent atmosphere coming from a croud sat down?

I am not saying its unsafe to stand up, just that there a rules governing all seater stadiums, united nearly got into bother with trafford council because they where stood up for the whole 90mins.

All i am saying is it would be best for all concerned if there was a tolerance zone and a zero tollerance zone, that way we would cater for everyone and have a much better atmosphere in the long run.

But you aren't catering for everyone, your forgetting about the health and saftey people who say you can't stand up.

I'm making a presumption here you aren't taking the piss. So, please advise how is it unsafe to stand up?

• Site Supporter

Why? When was standing at a football game PROVED to be dangerous? Don't quote Hillsborough at me. That was caused by scouse scallys who thought they were onto a free football game and a bunch of inept coppers. Don't quote Heysel, that was caused by Scouse scallys . . . common theme here! Neither of the situations is going to happen anytime soon at the Reebok.

Am I wrong in suggesting that the Bradford City fire was started in an area of seating? Were these seats partly the cause of folk being unable to escape? So, there you have it; I've managed to turn your "It's too dangerous" argument on its head.

I'm all for each to their own but, if you choose to sit in the ESL near the scoreboard, don't be too surprised if, when you excercise your right to sit down, you only get to see the back of the person in front of you. Go find an area where you can sit down all game and not add to the atmosphere of the game.

Guest bwfcdan

I'm making a presumption here you aren't taking the piss. So, please advise how is it unsafe to stand up?

The poor fella might get cramp :pardon:

But seriously he sounds like a right misery.... <_<

Edited by bwfcdan

Why? When was standing at a football game PROVED to be dangerous? Don't quote Hillsborough at me. That was caused by scouse scallys who thought they were onto a free football game and a bunch of inept coppers. Don't quote Heysel, that was caused by Scouse scallys . . . common theme here! Neither of the situations is going to happen anytime soon at the Reebok.

Am I wrong in suggesting that the Bradford City fire was started in an area of seating? Were these seats partly the cause of folk being unable to escape? So, there you have it; I've managed to turn your "It's too dangerous" argument on its head.

I'm all for each to their own but, if you choose to sit in the ESL near the scoreboard, don't be too surprised if, when you excercise your right to sit down, you only get to see the back of the person in front of you. Go find an area where you can sit down all game and not add to the atmosphere of the game.

Hillsborough?

Unfortunatly you didn't manage to turn my argument on its head. I didn't say that I thought it was unsafe, I said that birch said it was unsafe when he said "Whilst i appreciate its an all seater stadium and there are certain health and safety rules". Those rules say it's unsafe not me, that being the case, how can BWFC allow a section of people to stand?

Guest bwfcdan

Hillsborough?

Unfortunatly you didn't manage to turn my argument on its head. I didn't say that I thought it was unsafe, I said that birch said it was unsafe when he said "Whilst i appreciate its an all seater stadium and there are certain health and safety rules". Those rules say it's unsafe not me, that being the case, how can BWFC allow a section of people to stand?

Oh it's terrible isnt it.. i blame Gartside personally :rolleyes2:

This arguement pops up pretty often on here and there is definately something the club needs to do about it.

Am I right in saying Premier League rules require all fans to have an allocated seat, however, it is up the the individuals clubs whether fans sit in that allocated seat?

Hehe... I was at first but the comment about how BWFC should allow half of the east stand to stand up was silly.

I totally agree that they should be standing sections, back in school we had to do a talk about something, mine was about how if the germans could produce safe terraces then why wouldn't we.

Also I agree there is a better atmosphere, I sit on the back row so I can stand up without obstructing peoples view. I understand sometimes why people are told to sit down by the people behind them, it's quite simple, you are blocking their view. I was stood up once in front of a kid and even if he had stood up behind me on the chair he couldn't have seen the game, so in those cases its unfair to make the person whose view you are blocking the bad guy. Would the rows be raised higher with terracing to prevent this? But if you sit in the ESL near the scoreboard then they should get told to FO.

There should be a discussion about it, but it has been some years since I was in school and I don't think things will change.

But (and i don't know for sure and can't be arsed looking) there are rules and regulations that say people cannot stand or its not safe too, BWFC's hands will be tied and they can't just turn half of the east stand into a tollerance zone. I don't see how the club can do anything about this anymore than they can sign players in March. I can see the headlines already, West Ham stay up after Bolton docked 10 points for failing to control fans and allowing persitant standing.

It's more a FA/Premier League issue than a BWFC issue.

My ticket is in ESL and I havnt sat down for 3 seasons now, never any problem as that seems to be the etticate in that stand, to be honest if you want to sit and watch the game its not gonna happen over here. Its no coincidence that the majority of the noise comes from the standing fans. Had to sit on the half way line for the Lincoln match, got bollocked immidiately for standing up as we were breaking forward, ruined the whole experience

I like to stand so im in the ESL near the away fans, if you want to sit youve got the rest of the stadium!!

FAIR DEAL

what's the deal with the 'singing sections' at man city - in the lower tier either side of the away fan. Haven't seen anyone sat down in those sections for a good few seasons.

also noticed at leeds-spurs looked like the majority of the crowd were standing up

I don't get to the Reebok regularly, but when I do, I like to stand up when we're pushing forward, taking corners, free-kicks around the opposition penalty area etc. I don't have any problems doing this away from home.

A couple of seasons ago this guy behind me was tutting and moaning that he couldn't see when I stood up. I turned round and explained that all he had to do was stand up when I did and sit down when I did and he might see something happen. He might even get some exercise into the bargain.

Fat F*ck.

From looking at the North Stand it seems theres a lot of older fans from the Burnden days who would like to get the atmosphere going but can only ever seem to get the same two songs started.

I suggest to them relocate to the ESL and try and teach the younger generation some of the older songs that are dying out and rarely make appearances even on away days now.

Heard a few good songs at Wolves and Burnley from a few faces that I hadn't seen for years, we need those fans back to get the atmosphere back.

sit in the west stand then.

Nope, i like it in the East Stand Lower, i put my tartan blanket over my knee's and get my bovril flask out at 2-30ish and its great. Then the beer louts arrive stinking of stale smoke and ale but only like standing to wind-up our stewards who do their upmost to protect us and make the game more enjoyable and relaxed. Singing is far too overrated at the game :good:

This arguement pops up pretty often on here and there is definately something the club needs to do about it.

Am I right in saying Premier League rules require all fans to have an allocated seat, however, it is up the the individuals clubs whether fans sit in that allocated seat?

The issue was raised and clarified in Parliament. Standing in seated areas is not illegal. It is a matter of individual club policy. Some clubs tell you to sit down if you stand up to cheer a goal. Others will happily let you stand for the whole game. At the end of the day, clubs have to strike a balance. Which is more dangerous: people standing to watch the game, or people forced to sit down becoming angry and rioting. There is a tipping point that is close to being reached at the Reebok. If enough people stand at once, they won't do anything. If its just the odd few, they will tell them to sit down.

Those who moan about people standing tend not to be the kind of supporters who contribute to the atmosphere. They will move to a different area. There can't really be so many of them that they can't be accommodated on the front couple of rows, can there?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.