Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Krakow

Yes, great city, lots to do,

Salt mines, sounds dull but isn't, Krakow Castle, Auschwitz, And the bars down in the cellers are ace

A nice walk down to the Jewish District or the old town and market Square.

You can get a train from Airport to City Centre takes about 20mins and costs about ?3

Is it a boys tour or one with the Mrs?

Edited by Elson

It`s Mrs Swiller and myself who shall be venturing on those sights mentioned. Were also there, ( well I am) in search of some good porter ale which I believe to be very reasonable. Looking forward to it, plus its a Monday till Friday trip so no game missed. Keep the tips coming.

We've been 4 times Denn, stayed at The Chopin first time, rented apartments since, as others have said, salt mines Auschwitz & Birkenhau, the old castle, there are something like 180 bars around the square, some of them have got the bestest bar girls in the whole wide world, i seriously had a head like a loose button sat in that square.

The ale and food is still relatively cheap if you go to the back street bars, you will enjoy it.

• Site Supporter

We've been 4 times Denn, stayed at The Chopin first time, rented apartments since, as others have said, salt mines Auschwitz & Birkenhau, the old castle, there are something like 180 bars around the square, some of them have got the bestest bar girls in the whole wide world, i seriously had a head like a loose button sat in that square.

The ale and food is still relatively cheap if you go to the back street bars, you will enjoy it.

second all this, been twice and loved it, though it was summer when I went which influenced the "head like a loose button" effect mentioned above. Down the side/back streets between the square and the "planty" you will find plenty of good places to eat and drink.

Also,on he square you can get horse and carriage tours, nowt like the ones in Blackpool, really well turned out horses and carriages with some of the fittest women drivers you will see, paid a tenner ish for an hours ride around the city whilst drinking bottles of Zweic, was excellent and would recommend that, but as I said , was summer when I went so may not be on or to cold to sit there in Feb.

I want to go to visit Auschwitz & Birkenhau.

I have a real interest in WW2

It is morbid, but i feel compelled to see where the atrocities occurred

I also want to visit Colditz which is near Leipzig I understand but don't think it's open to look around

Anyone interested in the Colditz true story, there are a couple of documentaries available on C4 on demand

Krakow too sounds good!! Plenty of beer.

• Site Supporter

Jazza, I`m a Historian that has a major interest in WW2. I have countless books on the subject.

as well as Auschwitz, there is a tour of the Jewish quarter that would interest you too in that case.

Krakow is a cracking place, been 3 times the first being a mental polish wedding. They have a toast of vodka not to every speech but to every nice thing that is said within a speech. I was legless by the end of it.

The main square is the biggest in Europe and beautiful but they overcharge for food a beer round there so head down to the Jewish quarter for some delicious local grub and ale. You shoul have dumplings and drink the vodka Zubrowski ! The jewish quarter is the area of local team krakovia so dont make the same mistake i did and wear a Wisla Krakow shirt round there.

Definitely go check out the Salt Mines ! & take a trip to Auschwitz if you are interested. Its a depressing place and isnt made better by chinese tourists running around flashing cameras like their at buckingham palace. Its a sombre visit but will be worth it.

There is also some decent national parks outside the city if your into that kinda thing, have a goodun!

Well Athy, he`ll be well and truly goosed if I were his passenger,

Really excited about this trip more so than the recent City jaunts. Most places have been so expensive that my beer consumption came under scrutiny by Mrs Swiller and was cut by half.

I shall be visiting both Club grounds and probably buy one of the shirts, not too sure which yet.

Will be visiting Auscwitz and probably the salt mine.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.