Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

"the Quiet Site" Campsite Near Ullswater.

big gal

anyone stayed here? http://www.thequietsite.co.uk/

fancy staying in a pod as travelling with an under 2 year old, and they have family bathrooms with baths, and the pub has a soft play centre upstairs.

any local pubs/restaurants nearby?

cheers in advance for any info

yep we camped there, site is great couple of smallest walks for the little one nearby pub on site and facilities are perhaps the best we've had. not much around the site walking wise but short trip in the car and there's a fair bit. going to go back this year.the yuts look great as well but not my thing

Never stayed at the campsite but we had a boat on the lake at watermillock, just down from the brakenrigg hotel that you will turn up past. Lovely bit of the world

Couple of decent pubs for food round there though (though not been for a while i admit), The royal at docray, horse and farrier at dacre.

I you want to do a bit of walking do the howtown to glenridding walk or go up aira force. You can get the steamer from pooley bridge to howtown, walk to glenridding, then get the steamer back from glenridding to pooley bridge. Its a long walk though. There is also a road out of the back of howtown that is a brilliant drive loads of hairpin switchbacks and from the top of that road you can then climb the hill and you get an absolute belter of a view back down the lake.

Also if you go to ullswater marine (just as you get into watermillock on the left) you used to be able to hire little motorboats. Incidentally if you want to do fishing with the kids you need a licence, many tourists don't realise and get fined pretty badly.

Also when you are heading home i recommend going back over the kirkstone pass and along windermere, long but much more enjoyable road than the M6.

Edited by HuffyTheCampfireSlayer