Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

'foreigners' Playing For England

DazBob

Remember him scoring on his debut for man utd then a couple of goals for Doncaster

Can't remember any clamour for England though

Probably not him but I am sure some kid came through the ranks and was touted as a possible England player. The issue is that this lad cannot play for England until 2018 and doesn’t want to anyway; he has had a half decent debut but would struggle to get into the Belgian team as it stands. The only reason this is going on is because he is DMB and its international week. Let’s wait until a genuine talent turns up who does it week in week out and wants to play for England before we have a national debate about it because its hypothetical nonsense at the moment.

should also add that his agent is playing a blinder

Edited by Nowack

not a question of "should"

up to him, born and bred jock to a jock mum, but his formative years spent in USA

thems his options

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1679/us-national-team/2009/09/23/1519545/holden-playing-for-the-us-a-no-brainer

so for me, he's american like farah and muamba are english

Good work Zico

Marc, says thanks.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/wanderersnews/10728284._/

I never actually decried the fact that the likes of John Barnes,Muamba and mo Farrah has the choice to play/take part for England/Gb in my last post,I was merely stating their choice wouldn't be so easy or quickly if the countries of their birth had a set up like ours and provided the riches it therefore entails.

Does Mo Farrah consider himself a true British man? I'm saying he doesn't,would he have chosen to run under the Somali flag had they been as prosperous nation as ours? I'm saying he would.

If they chose to take the British/English name to succeed in sport without actually considering themselves as English I.e terry butcher then I think it's wrong.

If the rules in place suggest its right then fair fucks to them wanting to do it,like Jules says they are only doing what we all want imigrants to do.

But I'd be interested to hear how many actually consider themselves British etc.

Let’s wait until a genuine talent turns up who does it week in week out and wants to play for England before we have a national debate about it because its hypothetical nonsense at the moment.

My initial question was a hypothetical one.  Not sure why you think it's a  nonsensical one though?

Why should we have to wait until there is a 'genuine talent'?  The pros, cons, fors and againsts will shirley still be the same ones.

My initial question was a hypothetical one. Not sure why you think it's a nonsensical one though?

Why should we have to wait until there is a 'genuine talent'? The pros, cons, fors and againsts will shirley still be the same ones.

This wasn't against your post or the thread, more of a comment on why every newspaper and website seems to be obsessed with something that is not relevant.

Hypothetically, Messi came to bolton aged 13 and scored a debut hat trick at 16 propelling us to the top of the league over the next two seasons. Sat in the balmoral on a Friday night he decides that he hates Argentina and wants to represent England. The question is do we carry on booing him?

We spend gazillions a year on grass roots football to nurture kids into stars.

Well we spend gazillions on the new England training centre and the Premiership academies and such like.

The vast majority of grass roots football doesn't get tuppence, and nurturing kids who slipped through (or 'failed') the academy net is pot luck.

There's a joke doing the rounds on this subject, along the lines of Madeline McCann being eligible to play for Portugal.

I like a joke that is close to the bone as much as anyone but I'm not sure if this is too far?

She's better than Zidane

If he scored the winner in the WC final, no one would care, he'd be a hero, some non British act won BGT, as long as they're good and it's all legal, then bring them type of players on.

Of course though many would have only seen him v Sunderland, he's clearly talented, but one game isn't enough.

Saw on Sky that Scotland wanted Rooney, okay :lol:.

Muamba's situation is different to many.

There's a good chance he and his family would have been dead, had they not fled the country.

He's hardly likely to want to represent that country later in life, is he?

He didn't choose England. We chose him. he was educated here and nurtured as a player here.

If Man Uniteds Januzaj is now eligible to play for England does that mean Madeleine McCann is now eligible to play for Portugal?

I just re worded the original of that joke and sent it little Whitt and jimmy Sharples.

Fuck me it doesn't take long does it?

Haha

Do I get royalties?