Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Conspiracy Theories

madthatter

Just watched a fillum of the same name (or Conspiracy Theory it may have been titled).  Better than I expected in a Blair Witch sort of style.

I would have put this in the film thread but just wondered what folk thought about such things . . . 

Is it a case of attention seeking mentalists making wild, ambiguous leaps or are dark and sinister forces at work, secretly pulling the strings towards a James Bond style world domination? mua ha ha haaaa!

Personally, I think some of the political ones may have some mileage/merit but I find the alien ones immensely funny:)

Saying that though, it would explain the plane disappearing out of thin air;)

The Mel Gibson One?

Yes Good film, most theories are bollocks dreamed up by mentalists, however some cannot be explained.

Some of the 9/11 ones are fascinating

No it's actually titled 'The Conspiracy' (i'm getting like my bloody Nan with names;), came out in 2012.

Not seen the Mel Gibson one but will give it a look in.

I agree with you there in that most are dreamt up, probably to give a little meaning or 'power' to insignificant folk.

9/11 does pose lots of questions that don't seem to be answered by official reports etc.  I read a BBC WorldNews  site debunk piece on it that was so bad it was like a child had written it.  

I do find it odd that thousands of folk are murdered and no-one in authority seems to want to  look at any evidence other than what was in the report - if it was a murder trial surely it would be re-opened?  (I have to admit pure ignorance here as I know next to f'all about Law esp. USA)

The answer usually given of 'National Security' also raises many more questions e.g Snowden and the like . . .

It's interesting stuff IMO, a good practice of critical thinking trying to weed out the bull! 

Edited by madthatter

As someone pointed out this week, people who believe one conspiracy theory e.g. we didn't go to the moon, then believe them all.

See I do believe we went to the moon but think some things are so grey and have so many loose ends it's hard not to at least ask questions.

It's when those questions are met by off hand rebuttals i.e. 9/11 and Obama that my mind begins to go . . . 'ah herrrr!?'  

Eye, no footage anywhere, hmm!  I don't really know enough about planes, explosions to really offer any informed opinion but it does seem odd.

For me it's how the buildings collapsed, especially WTC7.  I used to work in R&D with in-tumescent coatings for structural steel.  From what little I know, if steel becomes so malleable due to heat that it looses structural integrity I really doubt the buildings would fall like they did.  Maybe the twin towers due to the weight and heat from aviation fuel, but not WTC7.   Just don't buy that at all.

Thing is with 9/11 is that for it all to be an inside job then 1000's of people must have had some sort of knowledge of it.

I find it impossible that nothing has leaked out.

IMO, the Yanks knew that an attack was coming but did little to stop it, they were planning to take out Saddam and invade Iraq before and needed a reason to pile in there!.

Eye that sounds plausible.

It's hard to question these things without sounding obsessive or a bit unhinged (FWIW  my brother is like a Bolton version of Alex Jones and I love countering all his 'theories') but I still reckon that only a few folk in the right places would be enough to allow, or collude with, what you infer

And obviously, anyone who would speak out has 'disappeared' Ha!

You should watch the film.  It's quite an entertaining and informed look at, what I guess is meant to be, Illuminati.  Tense ending too! (on Netflix if you have it?)

Thing is with 9/11 is that for it all to be an inside job then 1000's of people must have had some sort of knowledge of it.

I find it impossible that nothing has leaked out.

IMO, the Yanks knew that an attack was coming but did little to stop it, they were planning to take out Saddam and invade Iraq before and needed a reason to pile in there!.

No need to look any further than this point when it comes to disproving most conspiracy theories

I still think there is a bit more to JFK though

There's a clip in the film of JFK giving a speech about secret societies - when you listen to the content it does lend a bit more fuel to the fire.  I'd never heard it before and after a quick Google it seems it could well be misconstrued by conspiracy nuts

When that mon was poisoned by radiation (or something) in his tea in London a while back, as James Bond as it was, that was real.   I can only imagine how much dodgy stuff goes on under the radar

As to the why's and intentions who knows?  Money and power most likely.  Cui Bono?

There's a clip in the film of JFK giving a speech about secret societies - when you listen to the content it does lend a bit more fuel to the fire.  I'd never heard it before and after a quick Google it seems it could well be misconstrued by conspiracy nuts

I've heard that too. He's talking about Communism, but if you cut it so its out of context, it sounds like he's talking about 'the Illuminati'.