Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

1 Hour 25 Minutes

globaldiver

Can't believe how worked up some folk over a temporary upheaval that will make the road network far better in the long term.

Oh how they laughed!

We'll see

Having reviewed this in reasonable detail and spoken with the Urban Vision people. They are expecting that the buses from Atherton, Leigh and Tyldesley will take many cars off the road and the smart traffic lights will mean that 2 lanes will be no worse than 3. I have asked for a copy of the analysis, which remains outstanding.

They confirm that the brains behind this are not the same brains who came up with the Chapel Street masterpiece.

Anyone who drives their daily commute into central manc is a numpty, IMO

Even without all the public transport 'improvements' reducing the limited road space further. It looks like hell on earth when you see folk sat in the queues not going anywhere and you think 'you do this every single day you dumb fuckers'.

My stress levels on reaching work and home plummeted when i became a bus wanker and that was just the traffic in and out of Bolton.

• Moderators

This isn't strictly true. During the summer months I can get door to door in 25 minutes whilst earning double what I'd be earning in Bolton.

Central Manchester isn't the problem, it's pretty easy once you have passed Salford. I pity anyone who uses the M60 regularly to get to Cheshire and South Manc.

Even without all the public transport 'improvements' reducing the limited road space further. It looks like hell on earth when you see folk sat in the queues not going anywhere and you think 'you do this every single day you dumb fuckers'.

My stress levels on reaching work and home plummeted when i became a bus wanker and that was just the traffic in and out of Bolton.

If the trains were

In any way pleasant (for example if I could sit down)

Cheaper (or similar cost) to driving

On the days I didn't need the car, I would use the trains

Will these "smart traffic lights" do the job?

• Moderators

Catching the train is fucking stressfull. Will it turn up? The app says it's on its way, oh no 8 minute delay, "Northern apologise...", train cancelled. Fuck off.

When it turns up there's always some helmet with a bike blocking the aisle, some cunt who needs a bath and some fucker who things the whole carriage want to listen to his conversation. Again, fuck off.

I've been getting the train for about 4 weeks now. Every day I wonder why there aren't more people chucking themselves under them or going on a fucking rampage with a weapon of their choice.

The issues Carlos has already mentioned

Ditherers

People who put bags on the chair next to them

Women who have a handbag a laptop bag and a shopping bag on the way to work (what the fuck do you need all that for!)

Women doused in cheap perfume

Blokes who stink of bines or stale ale

No seats at 7 from horwich every pissing day

Having to leave work at a set time to catch a train to get home at a reasonable time rather than leaving when you've finished your work for the day.

Breathe....

Stevie, try Dirtrod.

Meanwhile, there's a report out that country roads are far more dangerous so as I say, you lot don't know you're born going into Manchester every day.

Is there any parking? I'd imagine it's busy from before there too. It's fucking late enough every pissing day!

It was fine in the summer and not even too bad last winter but Manc council are doing a million things at once and royally fucking us over currently

Rumour is it's on purpose as a fingers up because we said no to the congestion charge

If trains were better I'd jump on one, but it's slow, unreliable, infrequent and normally it, or another passenger smells bad

This isn't strictly true. During the summer months I can get door to door in 25 minutes whilst earning double what I'd be earning in Bolton.

Central Manchester isn't the problem, it's pretty easy once you have passed Salford. I pity anyone who uses the M60 regularly to get to Cheshire and South Manc.

Central Manchester has been in the last week

It's been an absolute disgrace

Stevie, try Dirtrod.

Meanwhile, there's a report out that country roads are far more dangerous so as I say, you lot don't know you're born going into Manchester every day.

Safety aside,the days of working in Manchester city centre and the airport were probably the most stressful depressing days of my working life.

Complete fookin nightmare twice a day with a days graft chucked in between.

Give me a country road to some backwater any day of the week.

Very rare I didn't get a seat when I used the train to manc from dirtrod, 7:15ish. Just can't be fussy who you sit next to. Car park between station and pub.Don't think there's as many go from there these days though.

Usually got a seat coming back as well leaving from Piccadilly.

No probs at 6.30, clockwise. Coming home can be a pain though.

Rumour is it's on purpose as a fingers up because we said no to the congestion charge.

Manchester council/gmpte didnt want the congestion charge.

They went to the government for investment into public transportation and were told only if you bring in the congestion charge.

So they went to consultation and were never realistically expecting a yes vote.

The theory at the moment is cause utter chaos for a shorter period rather than drag a smaller amount of chaos out for years and years doung the work in bits.

Plus if project A gets finished but it needs project B to be done to work properly the carnage would drag out longer.

Reducing the a6 through the centre of Salford wouldnt be a problem if there was a realistic new route in place when they did it.

It was fine in the summer and not even too bad last winter but Manc council are doing a million things at once and royally fucking us over currently

Rumour is it's on purpose as a fingers up because we said no to the congestion charge

If trains were better I'd jump on one, but it's slow, unreliable, infrequent and normally it, or another passenger smells bad

Was coming the other way last night up M6. What a disgrace the roads and traffic management are.

Manchester council/gmpte didnt want the congestion charge.

They went to the government for investment into public transportation and were told only if you bring in the congestion charge.

So they went to consultation and were never realistically expecting a yes vote.

The theory at the moment is cause utter chaos for a shorter period rather than drag a smaller amount of chaos out for years and years doung the work in bits.

Plus if project A gets finished but it needs project B to be done to work properly the carnage would drag out longer.

Reducing the a6 through the centre of Salford wouldnt be a problem if there was a realistic new route in place when they did it.

The problem is the A6, so is a business as usual problem.

I am clear after discussions with Salford that this was a decision made by Salford, for Salford, without any interest in any other stakeholders.

It is on the longer term agenda to solve this, but it will be a few years.

you're not wrong, Gonch. I do enjoy my commute & play "who can see Pendle Hill first" every morning. I drive alone though so usually win.

I thought you lived at the top of there anyway?

Edited by gonzo