Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bt Engineers Or Internet Strength Check

Breightmet Boy

a friend of mine is having problems with Post Office Internet/Phone, BT landline. Post Office say the strength is good on the Internet yet it's shite. So basically she wants someone to check her BT lines because BT will want £140 if they find a fault in her house, which she's not happy about. Anybody out there a bit cheaper who can help. Thanks

She lives in the Chequerbent area

Edited by Breightmet Boy

Has she done the obvious like remove the front plate of the main socket and plugged her router into the port behind it?

Wifi can be affected by lots of things including microwaves near the router but the main one is cordless phones. Also if there are any extensions teed into the main feed in before the main socket then this can also affect internet speed. There are lots of things to check and this why BT charge £140 to check all this.

All telco suppliers tell folk that a call out fee will be involved if the fault is in the property and not external. It deters pointless call outs. But a engineer will check everything from up a pole to inside the house. But the call out fee also puts folk off, who unknowingly do have a fault outside from reporting. If all basic internal checks have been done. As well as, depending on fault, trying another computer or phone, then get them out. When the weather was wet & windy we had shit loads of externally faults to sort out.

Edited by Underpants

She seems to have got some signal I think, hard to understand half the message.

Well t'internet working at mo. So is the person saying that there is no charge fot bt engineer? Internet box has been in same place for years and used handsfree handsets for years nothing has changed in regsrd anything like that. I have had fire put in so have wondered whether the black dust could have got in to the wireless box and this might have affected it. Try it in the test socket yes there was absolutely nothing no pjone line or signal and the internet box only poerr lihht lit up the oghrr three not lit up katie uses phone and laptop and i use phone and tablet and when problem with internet affects all four and yes tried another handset when plugged in to test socket

She seems to have got some signal I think, hard to understand half the message.

Well t'internet working at mo. So is the person saying that there is no charge fot bt engineer? Internet box has been in same place for years and used handsfree handsets for years nothing has changed in regsrd anything like that. I have had fire put in so have wondered whether the black dust could have got in to the wireless box and this might have affected it. Try it in the test socket yes there was absolutely nothing no pjone line or signal and the internet box only poerr lihht lit up the oghrr three not lit up katie uses phone and laptop and i use phone and tablet and when problem with internet affects all four and yes tried another handset when plugged in to test socket

Is she Little Whitt?

I've looked in the White box where the phone & Internet comes out, it's all working ok now and has for nearly two weeks, there's a blue wire not connected for some reason to the front plate of the BT box.

That may be the bell circuit for an extension but that is usually the orange an white wire. Are there any wires connected to the front plate you have removed?

That may be the bell circuit for an extension but that is usually the orange an white wire. Are there any wires connected to the front plate you have removed?

There was a yellow and a red wire comming out of the same wire, the blue wasn't connected to anything. The socket inside the box doesn't seem to work for some reason

These types of faults are a nightmware to sort out.

You need to go through all the basic stuff first and test after each step.

1. Unplug any devices from other extensions.
  2. Take the faceplate off and plug direct into the master socket.
  3. Change the micro filter.
  4. Chane the cable from the micro filter to the router.
  5. Change the router.
  6. Make sure there are no devices nearby that give of a dB noise such as fridges.....
  7. Switch the wifi off and plug the computer direct into the router and test the speed.

Once you've done the above run a BT speed test - http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Running this test will register the check and any faults direct into the BT system.

Just saying that it worked before is no use, these things tend to fail at some point.

The telco should run an intrusive test on the line which will tell them if there is noise on the line or if the copper as failed. Even if the copper test fails this can still be an internal customer end user problem. So if you are confident that you've done all the above then call them out.