Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

20 Years Ago

COYW

Interesting article by one of the architects involved:

http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/home/architects-account/776422.article

"Many have suggested that it would never have been built if it was not for the precedent Huddersfield set in the development of its new stadium... but to see this new building in the shadow of Huddersfield would be wrong. Huddersfield was designed for a smaller club with fewer financial resources, and was intended to be built in four separate phases. The Reebok is a more extensive development, bigger and more integrated in concept built in one phase and providing the extensive facilities required for a modern premier-league club."

A brilliant stadium, and definitely the best of its size. Was thinking that at the Ipswich match. Just a shame I never feel the same atmosphere as stood on the Burnden Paddock.

No ground in the country is the same mate.

That era has sadly passed.

. Just a shame I never feel the same atmosphere as stood on the Burnden Paddock.

lets not kid ourselves that the atmosphere at Burnden Park was always good. On occassion, it was clearly as good as anywhere (to us) - but it was as guilty as being shit, just the same as the new ground is.

I don't think it's the ground that makes for a shit atmosphere, I think it's the change in mentality of football fans and the removal of the terraces that has played the largest part in removing the atmosphere at grounds these days

On the viewing platform I used to pop up there quite often one day my mum who had ovarian cancer said do you mind if I come with you to have a look I said no problem hop in the car took my mum and wife to be up there she knew what club meant to me and said to fiancé as long as you don't stop me going to football you'll be alright not long after she passed away think she just wanted to see where I was going to spend rest of my days and put the wife to be on the right path. :)

Love the interviews with dave higson. Bloody hell they've no idea what's coming over the next ten to fifteen years. Wouldn't have believed it if you'd told them. I love the reebok/macron as a ground. It was probably built at the wrong time where it was fashionable to have out of town grounds, be better in the centre and single tier stands help the atmosphere more but it's got its own character. They're all identikit new grounds besides ours.

I can probably think of a dozen of those single tiered meccano structured grounds that sprung up over the last 20 years. Utter shite and the only thing that differentiates clubs is the colour of the seats.

Hats of to the club for pushing through with such an innovative design at that time. It was, is and always will be the bollocks compared to other new age grounds of a similar size built then or in the future. Always find myself just looking at it whenever I go past. Brilliant ground

• Moderators

Dave Higson interviewing a couple of supporters about the move to the new stadium at the start of this:

"I'd prefer a 45,000 capacity right away"

if you find the last game at burden on youtube, they interview some of our fans outside the ground about our chances the next season in the PL

one bloke reckons with 1 or 2 decent additions we could win it

then says "seriously, we could win it" to prove he wasn't joking

if you find the last game at burden on youtube, they interview some of our fans outside the ground about our chances the next season in the PL

one bloke reckons with 1 or 2 decent additions we could win it

then says "seriously, we could win it" to prove he wasn't joking

If Bruce would have stayed, we would have won it. :)

I can probably think of a dozen of those single tiered meccano structured grounds that sprung up over the last 20 years. Utter shite and the only thing that differentiates clubs is the colour of the seats.

Hats of to the club for pushing through with such an innovative design at that time. It was, is and always will be the bollocks compared to other new age grounds of a similar size built then or in the future. Always find myself just looking at it whenever I go past. Brilliant ground

I'm glad we built a ground with floodlights at each corner as well. It makes it look like a proper football ground.