Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Today's Racing

enzo gambaro

1.50 Musselburgh - Lat Hawill ran a much better race in the Spring Mile at Donny than his finishing position suggests. He was drawn stands side in a race that played out on the far rail but he travelled and finished well despite running all over the track in search of a better position. The drop back in trip and likely quicker ground are slight concerns but there should be plenty of pace on and I reckon he's worth a go at around 13/2.

Lat Hawill ran a decent race on Saturday to wind up a slightly unlucky second of twelve. Two horses who finished in front of him on the stands side at Donny reoppose today and, though Sacred Act looks the likely favourite, I thought Strong Steps was the eyecatcher in the Spring Mile and could be worth a go at around 5/1 in the 3.30 at Newmarket.

Later on the card you can have 6/1 about Seeking Magic - he's getting on a bit now but he has a good record fresh, his yard is in good nick and he maintained a fair level of form throughout last season.

• 4 weeks later...

Decent card at York today.

Master Carpenter hasn't got his head in front since winning the John Smith's Cup over course and distance two years ago but he's been campaigned over a mile during the last 12 months and has come right down the handicap. His two starts this season haven't been without encouragement and he's interesting now he's stepped back up to ten furlongs off a mark 9lb lower than his last win.

Northgate Lad doesn't have the best of draws but he hasn't been beaten far in his two starts this season - the winners of those races have both won again since, while the runners-up won and got beat a neck In their subsequent outings. He's on a decent mark and the ground should suit.

Tupi has a bit to find on official ratings but won really well on her return from Dubai and looks one to stay on the right side of. Plenty of the others are having their first run and, while Jungle Cat beat her in Meydan, there's every chance she'll turn the form around with a bit more give in the ground.

• 2 weeks later...

Go Far is pretty inconsistent nowadays but he still looks overpriced at 16/1 for the 4.55 at Goodwood. He won last year's race in the stewards' room off a pound lower mark and his run behind Mr Lupton (close up third in a listed race at Windsor on Monday) at Newmarket the other week puts him in with a fair shout today from a favourable draw.

Fastnet Tempest looked a good horse when he won the Victoria Cup at Ascot the other week but I'm not sure he should be an odds-on chance for the 3.05 at Chester. He's probably shorter still for the booking of Fran Norton and his draw in stall one, but I'm not sure the draw will suit his style of racing so I think he's worth opposing. Sound Advice has won four times round the Chester and looked to do it with a bit in hand last time at the May meeting. I'd not put anyone off backing him again today, but I like a horse last time in FUWAIRT, who used up plenty of energy from a wide draw before fading into fourth. He's 5lb better off with Sound Advice and can reverse the form from a more favourable draw.

• 4 weeks later...

done the ribchester / churchill double

fully expect one of them to get turndover

Should have put some money on it!

2.30 Daban

3.05 Happy Like A Fool

3.40 Mix And Mingle

4.20 Jack Hobbs

5.35 Gymnaste

5.00 Mental! I like Fastnet Tempest, Banksea and George William, with an each way fancy for Zhui Feng.

Should have put some money on it!

2.30 Daban

3.05 Happy Like A Fool

3.40 Mix And Mingle

4.20 Jack Hobbs

5.35 Gymnaste

5.00 Mental! I like Fastnet Tempest, Banksea and George William, with an each way fancy for Zhui Feng.

Only just seen this, Zhui Feng was massively overpriced and was crying out to be backed.

Hope you got on.

Only just seen this, Zhui Feng was massively overpriced and was crying out to be backed.

Hope you got on.

I did, aye.

Of the others, George William was fucked for when the gates opened and the other two weren't suited by the way the race was won, though Fastnet Tempest ran well in the circumstances. There'll be other days for all three, I'm sure.

In Italy and can't bet online, but reckon Tupi is well overpriced for the Wokingham.

Like Khairaat and Dartmouth, and think Buckstay is worth an each way stab.

Download TunnelBear vpn. Free. Then set to uk and you can bet to your hearts content with any provider

• 3 weeks later...

Colibri looks a big price at 12/1 for the 3.00 at Newmarket today. He finished well down the field in the Britannia at Royal Ascot last time but his previous run when a half length fourth behind Atty Persse at Sandown in April reads well. The winner has gone up 15lb since and went of favourite for a Group 3 yesterday before disappointing. The fifth and seventh have both won since, while the second and third have run well in defeat before being thrown in out of their depth at the Royal meeting. Today's race should suit Colibri and, with Hugo Palmer's horses running well, he looks well worth a punt in what looks a fairly open race.

• 1 month later...