Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wanderers 1-2 Derby

little whitt

• Site Supporter

I understand your point Bolty, but as Cassie says, be a bit pointless if we just stayed in one place. If you asked the pie eaters, I'd bet to a man, they'd take their current plight for the fa cup win. Something to pass on to kids and grandkids.

For me the problem is the hugely bloated cash reserve of the premier league, not the fact its the top league.

• Members

I understand your point Bolty, but as Cassie says, be a bit pointless if we just stayed in one place. If you asked the pie eaters, I'd bet to a man, they'd take their current plight for the fa cup win. Something to pass on to kids and grandkids.

For me the problem is the hugely bloated cash reserve of the premier league, not the fact its the top league.

We agree. I was just being a realist.

I can't see how a club like ours with our pulling power in the middle of the football hotbed which Lancashire is could possibly compete in the PL. The fall from grace is dangerous and can send you to the wall. Just putting out an opinion that the upper reaches of the Championship is probably our level.

We had the right man at the right time in BSA and over achieved on the back of some rather brilliant horse trading by him. Those times are gone and, other than being purchased by some wealthy oil sheik or Chinese consortium, I really can't see how that incredible ride could ever be repeated.

I hope that I am hopelessly wrong.

We agree. I was just being a realist.

I can't see how a club like ours with our pulling power in the middle of the football hotbed which Lancashire is could possibly compete in the PL. The fall from grace is dangerous and can send you to the wall. Just putting out an opinion that the upper reaches of the Championship is probably our level.

We had the right man at the right time in BSA and over achieved on the back of some rather brilliant horse trading by him. Those times are gone and, other than being purchased by some wealthy oil sheik or Chinese consortium, I really can't see how that incredible ride could ever be repeated.

I hope that I am hopelessly wrong.

This statement would have been true Pre-Allardyce too. We were struggling financially and selling our best players and looking more like dropping to the third tier.

Football is cyclical, clubs like us will have ups and downs. We'll be back one day, maybe a long time away, but we'll be back there at some point. And who knows what might happen?

Only takes the right manager or owner or group of young players and things change very quickly. What is apparent though for clubs like us is that when the goodtimes roll in, they do not last forever. And eventually you will get sucked back down. Hopefully we'll not throw all our eggs into the basket next time and keep a few for a rainy day. 

• Moderators

even staying in the northern mill town corridor, a quick glance at burnley and huddersfield show its possible to defy the odds

and you wouldnt be shocked if preston were promoted

so yes, theres no reason we cant come again

but, ill concede we are a top 30 club