Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Harrogate v Bolton

Biggish Dave

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Up there with Bolton players of the last 40 years that aren't just legends, but who spent a good chunk of their careers here and it made them the players they were.  There may be loads but off the top of my head I can only think of McGinlay, Gardner, Jussi in a similar category of BW legend.  The Okochas, Speeds, Yourris etc aren't just associated with BWFC unlike those 4.  Gudni probably the best of the lot for consistency and reliability, for me he'd walk into most Prem defences even in his 30s.

which is mad when you consider he was 30 when we signed him

Didn't realise that.  Still managed 270 games for us after the age of 30, I wonder how many outfield players can claim that.  I suppose if he'd moved to a lesser team than Spurs for the previous 6 years he'd have made a lot more appearances for someone else and might have been a legend elsewhere.  Our gain though.

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

when I worked at Tesco Horwich I once saw Mixu shopping, so I shouted "alright mixu", and he smiled and waved as he packed his shopping himself

I honestly don’t think I’d recognise a single current Wanderers player

Gudni was remarkable. I've never before seen a player get quicker as he reached his mid 30s

For his first four years with us I rated him as a solid right back but not quite so much at centre back. Once Sam arrived he became a real leader in the promotion side. I think because Sam just got him to focus on no frills defending it simplified things right down for him.

But then it all went up a few gears more just as his pace should have been dropping and the twilight of his career hitting. In our first year in the Prem, well in to his 30s, he seemed to become speedier. For six or seven months at the start of 2001/2 he was absolutely immaculate in central defence. I remember him marking Michael Owen out of the game in the 2-1 win when Liverpool's keeper made that horrendous cock up. Very little got past him. Then he picked up a few injuries and became excellent rather than stellar.

If Gudni had been 26 instead of 36 in 2001 there'd have been major interest and big money offered. He was that good.

Worth mentioning that Mick Whitlow was committed and solid over the same period. But Gudni was something else.

Edited by paulhanley

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Gudni was remarkable. I've never before seen a player get quicker as he reached his mid 30s

For his first four years with us I rated him as a solid right back but not quite so much at centre back. Once Sam arrived he became a real leader in the promotion side. I think because Sam just got him to focus on no frills defending it simplified things right down for him.

But then it all went up a few gears more just as his pace should have been dropping and the twilight of his career hitting. In our first year in the Prem, well in to his 30s, he seemed to become speedier. For six or seven months at the start of 2001/2 he was absolutely immaculate in central defence. I remember him marking Michael Owen out of the game in the 2-1 win when Liverpool's keeper made that horrendous cock up. Very little got past him. Then he picked up a few injuries and became excellent rather than stellar.

If Gudni had been 26 instead of 36 in 2001 there'd have been major interest and big money offered. He was that good.

Worth mentioning that Mick Whitlow was committed and solid over the same period. But Gudni was something else.

Good post. Your comments are spot on. There can’t be many players who got better throughout their 30s! 

17 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Aye, I remember when we played Newcastle one time and he had a young Craig Bellamy for pace every time. I was pissing my sides. He was a class act

I remember being ecstatic on a couple of occasions when Allardyce had managed to convince Gudni to stay on for another season. 

Can’t remember the last time I was so joyous over a player committing in recent times. 

Edited by BWFC_LOVE

8 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Michael Owens career was a bit mixed but bear in mind his next game after the game against us was a certain hat-trick in Munich. 

• Members
On 06/10/2020 at 00:48, Cheese said:

Gudni is my favourite Bolton player of all time. Absolute class act. I idolised him as a teenager. Never had a bad game. I was lucky enough to meet him once - the day before the Play-Off Final against Preston - and he signed my copy of the BEN - on the page that I was pictured in the crowd, although I was unrecognisable. I'd love to say it's my most treasured possession, but I've fucking lost it. I remember saying "Good luck tomorrow Gudni", and he said "Thanks". Not really one to tell the Grandkids.

I could talk about Gudni all day, the man absolutely oozed class, as a kid I would always have a attacker on my shirt, he’s the only defender I’ve ever had, I think my gormless resting face started from his goal against Barnsley