Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Carlisle (A)

Eddie

7 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Noticed a few matches recently including ours yesterday where it looked way more than 2k 

I'd respectfully disagree, the crowd looked sparse.  Normally that terrace opposite the camera is well populated a bit like the Burnden Paddock used to be when only about 5k on, their terrace looked very thinly populated and also behind the goal.  Maybe 1000 down side, 500 behind goal and 500 in stand nearest camera, but nowhere near their usual 4,000 or so of previous seasons.  

2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'd respectfully disagree, the crowd looked sparse.  Normally that terrace opposite the camera is well populated a bit like the Burnden Paddock used to be when only about 5k on, their terrace looked very thinly populated and also behind the goal.  Maybe 1000 down side, 500 behind goal and 500 in stand nearest camera, but nowhere near their usual 4,000 or so of previous seasons.  

Fair enough pal

be boring if we all thought the same 

6 hours ago, MickyD said:

Me too. The thing in this league, if any of the players were consistently at the top of their game they just wouldn’t be here. Some supporters need to have a bit of a reality check and accept that the days of world class players are a thing of the past.

Agreed that there's a limit to what we can expect us to sign in league 2 but its not too much to ask for some consistency of performance, even if its not a great standard.  Until recently Delaney looked consistent, I think Jones and Brockbank are steady, and others are consistently poor, although most of those have been dropped.  Tutte is what we're looking for in that respect, never going to be above league two level but a good performer, you know what you're going to get, a league 2 Gary O'Neill, steady eddy.

This thread was a very "interesting", and telling, read. We have some proper bipolar folk in here.

At no point on Saturday was I thinking that we weren't going to get it back in the second half. Not once. They left it a little later than I'd have liked, but even at 3-0 down I was saying that we would get it back in the second half.

It was obvious to anyone with half a brain that the weather was having an awfully adverse affect on our game. Santos couldn't get a read on their high balls in the wind, and gave away foul after foul which led to both of their first goals (from free kicks). For their third, nine times out of ten Baptiste clears that, but for this one time it spooned off his boot right into the path of a Carlisle player with a clear shot on goal.

Fast-forward to the second half, and Carlisle showed exactly what kind of team they are. Their tactics did not change an ounce, and they didn't know whether to stick or twist which gave us more of the ball (with the wind at our backs) and of course we put pressure on them. There was only one team going to score in that second half.

Also, anyone having a go at Thomason... give your heads a wobble. He's 18, and we've already seen him come on leaps and bounds in each and every game he's played. Add that the fact that his goal put on the road to recovery in this game and he narrowly missed giving us a winning goal in the dying minutes.

Sometimes, I despair.

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, SnoopJohnnyJohn said:

This thread was a very "interesting", and telling, read. We have some proper bipolar folk in here.

At no point on Saturday was I thinking that we weren't going to get it back in the second half. Not once. They left it a little later than I'd have liked, but even at 3-0 down I was saying that we would get it back in the second half.

It was obvious to anyone with half a brain that the weather was having an awfully adverse affect on our game. Santos couldn't get a read on their high balls in the wind, and gave away foul after foul which led to both of their first goals (from free kicks). For their third, nine times out of ten Baptiste clears that, but for this one time it spooned off his boot right into the path of a Carlisle player with a clear shot on goal.

Fast-forward to the second half, and Carlisle showed exactly what kind of team they are. Their tactics did not change an ounce, and they didn't know whether to stick or twist which gave us more of the ball (with the wind at our backs) and of course we put pressure on them. There was only one team going to score in that second half.

Also, anyone having a go at Thomason... give your heads a wobble. He's 18, and we've already seen him come on leaps and bounds in each and every game he's played. Add that the fact that his goal put on the road to recovery in this game and he narrowly missed giving us a winning goal in the dying minutes.

Sometimes, I despair.

This is nail on head. I said and felt exactly same Saturday.

The wind was a fucker and helped heep the pressure on back 3 that lead to mistakes. 

I even put money us at HT, I was that confident we could still win/draw, due to wind and our previously shown resilience and character