Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

FGR Away

RUREADY2ROLL

11 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. We control the tempo, we manage the game, we decide when to press when to push players forward. Everyone knows their role.

When you’re so in control of a game you dictate how it’s going. We do that, with formation, tempo and tactics. It’s not about blowing teams away with goals it’s about not giving them a sniff. 
It’s great game management, conserving energy and tiring teams out. 
Yes a slip, bad decision could happen but then we control how the game goes after any goal conceded. 
Walsall was prime example of that. 

we aren’t “so in control” though, FGR looked  the better side yesterday, we were fortunate that their striker isn’t very good.

I feel that a select few on here border on arrogance and get a bit carried away with how things are. For example, look at the Walsall thread and notice how many people were so sure that we’d brush them aside.

39 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Me too, says it all.

Only because it aligns with your view on this discussion. 

The bit about talking like City but playing like Arsenal is nonsense,  we are dominating possession and controlling the games, we are not just filling our defence and smashing it forwards. Where we differ is converting a few more of our chances, but as others have pointed out we are up at the top of the goals/chances charts and on the best run in the country, so people are confused by comments like this. 

Also sulking when you are in a minority and people disagree with you and calling them woke is hardly a great way to get people to listen and understand your perspective.

• Members
6 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Look Rudy, nobody’s saying we don’t control the tempo and manage the game, we’ve been superb in that since January. We work on tiring out the opposition and I fully understand all that. I’m not complaining about any of it, just observing that when we score we seem to drop the tempo and allow the opposition onto us instead of pushing our advantage and superiority to score again. Thankfully, our defence is excellent and most teams in this league aren’t good enough to get through us but my point is that it only takes one slip to give our goal advantage away and drop points. I’m afraid I have to completely disagree with your assertion that if we concede late we can then control how the game goes. Quite the reverse in fact because it not only deflates our players but energises the opposition as was the case with Cambridge when the game was well won until Gilks slip because after that it really lifted Cambridge and had us hanging on. 

5 minutes ago, RatchetMan said:

we aren’t “so in control” though, FGR looked  the better side yesterday, we were fortunate that their striker isn’t very good.

I feel that a select few on here border on arrogance and get a bit carried away with how things are. For example, look at the Walsall thread and notice how many people were so sure that we’d brush them aside.

I’ll respectfully disagree and trust in my professional opinion 

6 minutes ago, Ani said:

But it is not that that people are saying. According to the posts on here we have 'been lucky' and 'results have papered over cracks' which is nonsense. We have dominated and controlled games. 

Well anybody who has claimed we’ve been lucky or papered over cracks, neither of which to be fair I’ve read actually, is clearly crackers and you’re right it’s pure nonsense. We’ve dominated pretty much everybody we’ve played for the last couple of months and deserved every point we’ve got. I also accept we’ve been unlucky with blocks, saves and bad misses but equally I do think that many times our final ball, crosses, corners, dead ball kicks and throw ins have been poor.

Maybe the drop in tempo after we score is part of the plan and nobody can say it hasn’t worked but I think most people would feel more comfortable with that extra goal lead going into the last stage rather than settling for just the one goal lead, which is never truly safe.

• Members
Just now, RatchetMan said:

No, because you trust in your “professional opinion”

Yeah I’ve been a professional football coach for 12 years, with an area of expertise in analysis and game conditioning. So yeah I will trust my professional opinion 

10 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Only because it aligns with your view on this discussion. 

The bit about talking like City but playing like Arsenal is nonsense,  we are dominating possession and controlling the games, we are not just filling our defence and smashing it forwards. Where we differ is converting a few more of our chances, but as others have pointed out we are up at the top of the goals/chances charts and on the best run in the country, so people are confused by comments like this. 

Also sulking when you are in a minority and people disagree with you and calling them woke is hardly a great way to get people to listen and understand your perspective.

I think you’re confusing me with someone else Cambridge, not said any of those things.

9 minutes ago, RatchetMan said:

we aren’t “so in control” though, FGR looked  the better side yesterday, we were fortunate that their striker isn’t very good

We could have played for another 90 minutes yesterday and FGR wouldn't have scored. So yes we were in control. Was it their striker not being good or our defence not giving him a sniff. He had one chance all game and he messed that up, otherwise we gave them nothing, especially 2nd half.

1 minute ago, Rudy said:

Yeah I’ve been a professional football coach for 12 years, with an area of expertise in analysis and game conditioning. So yeah I will trust my professional opinion 

I’m politely disagreeing with your so called “professional opinion” 

1 minute ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

We could have played for another 90 minutes yesterday and FGR wouldn't have scored. So yes we were in control. Was it their striker not being good or our defence not giving him a sniff. He had one chance all game and he messed that up, otherwise we gave them nothing, especially 2nd half.

had their top scorer not suffered that injury it would have been a completely different game.

had their top scorer not suffered that injury it would have been a completely different game.

Indeed and we would have adjusted our game to the team we were facing. I previously mentioned that this was a factor in the way this game played out, but with or without that injury I believe we would have found the way to win that game.

But we don't need to talk about their striker, as has already been pointed out he was a massive fanny and should have played on after regloving his hand 😉

2 minutes ago, RatchetMan said:

Give over. They hardly had a sniff of creating anything, so they could have had the non-ginger Pele at the end of the production line and it wouldn’t have made a jot of difference because they could barely break through Williams and Thomason, and even then would have to get through Santos and Baptiste at that point. Could still be playing now and there’s only one team who’d have added to the score line. 

Here we go. Same lad who hadn't scored for about six games. So you dont know that its your opinion.

My opinion is you know very little about football and insulting a guy who works professionally in coaching and others who have bben on here for ages makes you laughable actually.