Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Disappointing Dinners...

Youri McAnespie

I've just had my dinner, one I'd been looking foward to, and it was quite frankly shite.

Ham and Cheese salad on granary with mustard and mayo.

Everything was too cold.

I knew I should have had the week past its best sourdough pizza instead, the fridge threw a wobbler earlier in the week and froze everything, so I'm considering the pizza as being around three, maybe four days past its best...I might still have it regardless, if the base ain't green then I'm keen.

Sort of related, has anyone had a Kebab Sandwich from Rice and Three lately? Passing by tomorrow and thought I might partake but last time the kebabs were those shit asian supermarket frozen ones...

I couldn't take another disappointment in a row.

This wasn't a packet - never looked forward to one of them, I've actually dreaded a few...

Plus I've form for having them swiped.

I made this mesen, should've put salt on and let it come up to room temp.

Jules is right though, nowt worse than a sly full English or kebab or pizza etc. and it turns out shite, calorific but crap.

I feel like trashing the gaff if eating out (or in/out).

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I've just had my dinner, one I'd been looking foward to, and it was quite frankly shite.

Ham and Cheese salad on granary with mustard and mayo.

Everything was too cold.

I knew I should have had the week past its best sourdough pizza instead, the fridge threw a wobbler earlier in the week and froze everything, so I'm considering the pizza as being around three, maybe four days past its best...I might still have it regardless, if the base ain't green then I'm keen.

Sort of related, has anyone had a Kebab Sandwich from Rice and Three lately? Passing by tomorrow and thought I might partake but last time the kebabs were those shit asian supermarket frozen ones...

I couldn't take another disappointment in a row.

I had the mix kebab sandwich a couple of weeks ago. Hadn't been in rice n 3 for years so it was almost nostalgic.

Not quite as good as I remember but by no means a bad experience.

Better with a beer.

Many moons ago I lined my stomach for a long day with a bacon barm at The Albion.

Unfuck-up-able surely? Wrong.

I'm sure they'd done the bacon in a chip fryer.

Then slathered crap sunflower spread on stone cold and the bacon not hot enough to melt it.

There's nothing someone somewhere won't make a pig's ear of.

16 minutes ago, leigh white said:

On the other side of the coin, calling in a UCP cafe in my youth for a plate of chips and gravy what were to die for. Never tasted such delicious gravy since. 

HOWE BRIDGE  chips and gravy back in the day

all week been wanting Cheese on Toast 

made it it was SHITE 

Just now, little whitt said:

HOWE BRIDGE  chips and gravy back in the day

all week been wanting Cheese on Toast 

made it it was SHITE 

Ha ha, buy an infused Red Leicester and West Country mature cheese sliced cob from M & S and pop a couple in the toaster.

1 hour ago, jules_darby said:

Any packet sandwich is dogshit. Any. From anywhere.

KFC is always better in the mind than reality. Especially when hungover.

Hate it when you go for a "cheat meal" and it let's you down. Funnily enough makes you feel "cheated" 🙄

Beef and Horseradish sub from M&S is decent as is the prawn sandwich from Pret.

• Members

We had 50% off Papa John’s, the picture looked amazing, was really looking forward to it.

Sweet doughy sugary shite. 

Ive gone a month and a half without eating meat and don’t eat plan on eating it again because everything I’ve had had been really tasty.

Not to sound like morrissey but it’s not the taste of meat I liked,  it was always the flavouring and sauce that went with it

16 minutes ago, Rudy said:

We had 50% off Papa John’s, the picture looked amazing, was really looking forward to it.

Ive gone a month and a half without eating meat and don’t eat plan on eating it again because everything I’ve had had been really tasty.

Not to sound like morrissey but it’s not the taste of meat I liked,  it was always the flavouring and sauce that went with it

Cant Beat a bit of Road Kill 

I had reason to come from Morris Green back to G/L on bike t'other week and cut through the Ellesmere Road/Sunnyside/Swan Lane way...

In possibly the most random location imaginable a Thai food wagon had set up shop on Paulhan Street.

It smelled really good as well, authentic, but what a strange location.

Just after/before St Billy's field if anyone's interested, take the left at the laundrette if approaching from Settle Street.

I might give it a go myself if I pass by again this weekend.

• Members
1 minute ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I had reason to come from Morris Green back to G/L on bike t'other week and cut through the Ellesmere Road/Sunnyside/Swan Lane way...

In possibly the most random location imaginable a Thai food wagon had set up shop on Paulhan Street.

It smelled really good as well, authentic, but what a strange location.

Just after/before St Billy's field if anyone's interested, take the left at the laundrette if approaching from Settle Street.

I might give it a go myself if I pass by again this weekend.

Youri do you drive or do you bike everywhere?

I won't take a table and chair like the hellbound glutton t'other week (who now has some notoriety) - the area is as I remembered it from slumming it there as a working student.

Crummy.

Where I lived still has the 'This Property is Alarmed by...' stickers in the windows.

It's nearly nineteen years ago we left, taking the alarm system with us...

I think I may now be pseudo middle class as I now call dinner, lunch. Haven’t called it dinner since school. I can, however, work in both metric and imperial so both work for me.

Tea, though, is Tea and no one will ever convince me otherwise.

Most of the time, I skip lunch but during the lockdown periods, it became appealing. 
Most of the time, I’ve been having home made soup with a chunk of bread. My favourite is my perfected pea and ham soup from the stock of a ham cooked previously. Made with overnight soaked peas obviously and small chunks of the ham leftovers. 

• Members
23 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

I think I may now be pseudo middle class as I now call dinner, lunch. Haven’t called it dinner since school. I can, however, work in both metric and imperial so both work for me.

Tea, though, is Tea and no one will ever convince me otherwise.

Most of the time, I skip lunch but during the lockdown periods, it became appealing. 
Most of the time, I’ve been having home made soup with a chunk of bread. My favourite is my perfected pea and ham soup from the stock of a ham cooked previously. Made with overnight soaked peas obviously and small chunks of the ham leftovers. 

It's always too salty when I try to make pea and ham soup. Other half loves it though. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, bolton_blondie said:

Most take aways are a bit of a let down. Never as good as your invisioned. Best one I've had recently though is Thai Kitchen in Harwood. 

We havent got down to a tolerable heat yet

4 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

It's always too salty when I try to make pea and ham soup. Other half loves it though. 

My stock comes from a ham cooked as a Christmas ham so has a certain flavour. I soak the ham and then pre boil it to remove some of the salt. 
I take it in a flask on a cold walk up on the tops. Nothing better. Apart from mulled wine. Thinking about it, next winter I’ll take two flasks.👍

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

I think we are the same... we are not "vegan" but definitely eat less meat. I think the problem is factory produced animal protein promoted by the supermarkets, local game is about the only meat we eat these days as it has so much more texture and flavour and we like to believe the animal has had a reasonably good life. The GP tells me my cholesterol is the lowest on his books including the ones who are on treatment. 

The supermarkets dumb everything down making it all tasteless, I recall taking an avocado pear and a can of cider to a mate who was in Lincoln nick on Christmas Eve in the early 80s. Colin had asked for these "luxuries" and I did not know what an avocado was; after finding one I got a second for myself and it was so nutty and creamy. I avoid avocadoes these days as they are just bland mush... just like the supermarket meat and Papa Johns pizzas you mention.

Summing up, I am almost veggie but how can I eat a meat and potato pie or steak pudding? For that reason I'll stay in my halfway (or maybe three quarters) house.