Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rooney v Gazza

royal white

1 hour ago, Zico said:

Never saw Gazza live in his prime

Remember Rooney at Everton tearing our defence, and Campo in particular, a new one  

Think Gazza scored against us for Everton once 

i seen him for 

Everton a few times 

Rangers in a champions League  game / a couple of League games 

Middlesbrougth  Twice 

and One England Game  

was outstanding in them all 

for rangers he scored  19 in his first season and 17 in is second 

On 31/07/2022 at 19:03, Zico said:

Great players win things consistently over a number of seasons 

That doesn’t really stack up

Phil neal must be a great then 25 trophies including 8 titles and 4 European cups 
More than  Maradona , best and Mathews combined . 
Some great players win very little some good players win loads it’s always been that way 

Edited by Farnywhite

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

That doesn’t really stack up

Phil neal must be a great then 25 trophies including 8 titles and 4 European cups 
More than  Maradona , best and Mathews combined . 
Some great players win very little some good players win loads it’s always been that way 

Surely then Phil Neal was a great full back? Like Gary Neville, Ashley Cole etc 

He had 50 england caps too 

Must've had something about him

Regardless, great players tend to have honours that reflect that 

Matthews won the balon dor to be fair, maradona the world cup, amongst other accolades 

16 minutes ago, Zico said:

Surely then Phil Neal was a great full back? Like Gary Neville, Ashley Cole etc 

He had 50 england caps too 

Must've had something about him

Regardless, great players tend to have honours that reflect that 

Matthews won the balon dor to be fair, maradona the world cup, amongst other accolades 

Phil neal I would say was a very good full back but played in a great team that’s the difference .
I am just making the distinction that you said great players win things consistently I don’t think that is true .
another example   Jimmy greaves is regarded by many as the greatest English striker didn’t get picked in the World Cup final without checking I think he won very little in is career 

Edited by Farnywhite

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Phil neal I would say was a very good full back but played in a great team that’s the difference .
I am just making the distinction that you said great players win things consistently I don’t think that is true .
another example   Jimmy greaves is regarded by many as the greatest English striker didn’t get picked in the World Cup final without checking I think he won very little in is career 

Ok, then maybe you would debate who was the better full back, Neville or Neal 

But when it comes to Gazza v Rooney, who's the greatest 

I'm not sure why you'd go with Gazza other than if we're talking talent/skill 

Not sure how you quantify that other than just which you prefer to watch 

Gazza is nostalgic 

What about Waddle v Rooney?

I said before I think there the two best talents  it’s very close . Gazza might be nostalgia I give you that.  
But  I also take in to account that back in the late 80s early 90 s the game was far more physical . if gazza played today he would be even more effective.
Rooney is the better goal scorer but he is a striker . Gazza s massy runs from midfield is passing range and dead ball ability I think he just edges it 

Personally  if we’re talking England I would say Gazza was the most gifted player to play for England . Greatest England player may be would have to say Bobby charlton . 
thinking about it Mathews and finney we’re probably a better talent than Gazza 

Edited by Farnywhite

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, Zico said:

Or another question, who is greater than Gazza in terms of England, or is he England's greatest ever?

My dad and grandad both said that, in their opinions, Finney was better than Matthews. 

But they also said that Duncan Edwards had the potential to be the best ever.

3 minutes ago, Steejay said:

My dad and grandad both said that, in their opinions, Finney was better than Matthews. 

Bill shankley who played with Tom  finney said back when he was Liverpool manager and George best was in is pomp that finney was the better of the two when comparing best and finney 

Edited by Farnywhite

21 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Bill shankley who played with Tom  finney said back when he was Liverpool manager and George best was in is pomp that finney was the better of the two when comparing best and finney 

I’ve heard some people say Dalglish was the best ever British player and I must say he’s in my top 5.

And I’d have Rooney as Englands best ever. 

3 minutes ago, royal white said:

I’ve heard some people say Dalglish was the best ever British player and I must say he’s in my top 5.

And I’d have Rooney as Englands best ever. 

Dalglish is one of the best I have seen play live

England strikers I think jimmy greaves record is the best 44 goals in 57 games goals ratio is  unreal . Rooney is 53 goals and all time leading scorer but in 120 games 

1 minute ago, Farnywhite said:

Dalglish is one of the best I have seen play live

England strikers I think jimmy greaves record is the best 44 goals in 57 games goals ratio is  unreal . Rooney is 53 goals and all time leading scorer but in 120 games 

Don’t forget Sir Nats record! 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Farnywhite said:

Personally  if we’re talking England I would say Gazza was the most gifted player to play for England . Greatest England player may be would have to say Bobby charlton . 
thinking about it Mathews and finney we’re probably a better talent than Gazza 

Most gifted or talented, maybe, that's different to bring a great for me 

Or being the greatest

2 hours ago, Steejay said:

My family's view also.

Duncan Edwards was in the Bolton youth team, his uncle being our inside forward, Ray Westwood.

Off with a flu virus Busby turned up at his parents house, paid them an illegal bribe & he signed for Stretford.

Otherwise he'd have been our player, avoided the plane crash,  won the World Cup and fulfilled a long, successful career.

I blame Busby.