Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Thoughts with the people of Maui.

Zulu

Just been watching the report of the tragedy in Hawaii on Sky News. 
It’s just heartbreaking. I visited Maui (Lahaina and Ka’anapali Beach) about five times in the 1990’s and into the early years of this century. An absolutely beautiful island with great people. They don’t deserve what’s just been visited upon them. They’ll bounce back, but it’s going to take a long time. 
Very, very sad. 

2 minutes ago, Spider said:

Tragic

Hope they catch the culprits and they are brought to justice

Culprits? Yes, if someone has started fires deliberately. I suspect it’s a natural phenomenon though. Either way, it’s a terrible thing. 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Zulu said:

Culprits? Yes, if someone has started fires deliberately. I suspect it’s a natural phenomenon though. Either way, it’s a terrible thing. 

@royal white was pretty confident that the fires in Greece were caused by humans rather than “nature”

Hawaii doesn’t really get these very often?

3 minutes ago, Spider said:

@royal white was pretty confident that the fires in Greece were caused by humans rather than “nature”

Yes. It gets them every year. But they’ve increased dramatically over the last few years apparently. Which is probably a climate change issue. 

2 minutes ago, Spider said:

Royal was just repeating what the Mayor of Corfu was saying. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/corfu-wildfires-greece-rhodes-b2381320.html

And Greeces minister of climate crisis. I mean what the fuck would they know. They need to come on here to find out what happened. 

“Most of the 667 fires that have erupted across Greece in recent weeks were started “by human hand”, the country’s senior climate crisis official has said.

As the Mediterranean country emerges from an unprecedented, 15-day period of heatwave-induced infernos, the scale of the destruction is finally being laid bare.

While weather conditions have been different from any other year – with experts calling the first three weeks of July the hottest on record – most of the fires could have been prevented, the government claimed on Friday”.

10 minutes ago, Spider said:

Tragic

Hope they catch the culprits and they are brought to justice

This made me laugh, couldn't help it. It was the common sense response you got that got me. 

6 minutes ago, Zulu said:

They are indeed. All wildfires these days are causing much more devastation because of climate change. Funnily enough we've another poster who thinks that we need a global effort to round up all the arsonists. He likes to give out clown badges and tell people they can't teach. I think he listens to Trump a bit too much, but he'd never admit it. 

Listening to some of the stories today, it really is tragic. Families spending hours on end in the sea with severe burns to stay alive. Not a place that should ever see those kinds of wildfires. Sadly, I think there will be a lot more announced dead.

Sounds like you had some great trips out there. 

1 hour ago, Zico said:

Hawaii always sounds like a good place to go on holiday but just too far away for a summer jaunt 

Not even sure if you fly west or east to get there

Great shirts though

Go West. LA, San Francisco or San Diego I’ve done in my time. There are other options. It’s about a five hour flight from the West Coast. 

1 hour ago, London Wanderer said:

Sounds like you had some great trips out there. 

Yes, amazing. I’ve been fortunate enough to travel quite a bit over the years. Hawaii in general and Maui in particular are probably the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen. 

4 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Hawaii sounds like an American benidorm. Marginally more upmarket. 

My dad's been and from his description I have no desire to go. 

No conny club. No fruitys. No snooker tables. 

Depends on where you go. Honolulu (on Oahu) yes. A bit Benidorm, although Pearl Harbor makes up for it. 
Maui, Kaui and others? Different gravy. 

4 minutes ago, Zulu said:

Depends on where you go. Honolulu (on Oahu) yes. A bit Benidorm, although Pearl Harbor makes up for it. 
Maui, Kaui and others? Different gravy. 

Sinking the pink at Pearl Harbor conny club sound good. 

Do they do draught Carling 

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, Zulu said:

Just been watching the report of the tragedy in Hawaii on Sky News. 
It’s just heartbreaking. I visited Maui (Lahaina and Ka’anapali Beach) about five times in the 1990’s and into the early years of this century. An absolutely beautiful island with great people. They don’t deserve what’s just been visited upon them. They’ll bounce back, but it’s going to take a long time. 
Very, very sad. 

It is terrible, with a 1000 missing.

Were you in holiday, or there for work?

19 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It is terrible, with a 1000 missing.

Were you in holiday, or there for work?

Holiday. Went out there five times with the ex and our lad. We used to leave the UK around Dec 21 and return on Jan 3. Always broke the journey for a couple of days, out and back, on the West Coast mainland. We used to stay at the Ka’anapali Beach Hotel on Maui. Absolutely beautiful. I dread to think what condition it’s in today. Googled their website and it looks like the fire just missed them fortunately. No power or services though. The hotel is about three miles west of Lahaina.