Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wycombe A

radcliffe white

• Site Supporter
27 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Keogh chasing after Jerome - it was like watching sports day at an old people‘s home 😂.

Good from Jerome though, being on the shoulder and anticipating the flick on and also drawing the foul and making sure we got the pen

This made me smile 😂

I actually thought he did very well. His experience ensured he got in the right position where the defender didn’t really have any other option.

15 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Stat corner:

Every league goal Toal has scored for us has been a night match.

He's only played in 8, and has scored in 4 of them, that's some going for a CB.  

All scored in the 2nd half too, that's the half nobody else seems to be able to score in from open play.

Other 3 were at Lincoln, and home v Pompey and MKD.

We've scored at least 3 goals in our 3 night matches this season, in the other 10 games we've scored 3 twice but none since the 2nd game of the season.

Pompey was a Saturday afternoon.  It was winter though so probably felt like a night match when he scored the last goal!

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Traf said:

To be honest, I've no issues with Jerome, but DL's a young-is lad who just doesn't look like a footballer.

Since Evatt has made it clear that he's there as a player coach, then there are no issues..

If he does like he did on Tuesday and takes players under his wing then it's all good. 

Hopefully he might have had some influence on the change in style we have had over the last few games, where it's been different from "get it to the wingers to cross in"..

I know its only highlights but Sheehan looked really classy every time he was shown.

Keeper should have saved 1st and 4th goals and not great on the 2nd.  Definitely happy we have Baxter, a great signing by IE.

The 2nd goal we conceded is horrendous tactics by IE, can't blame the players, clearly an instruction as those opportunities are happening increasingly for the opposition.  I wish teams had adopted the non-marking strategy when we had the likes of Sneekes, Thompson, Frandsen on the edge of the box! 

Edited by Johnnyrotten

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I know its only highlights but Sheehan looked really classy every time he was shown.

Keeper should have saved 1st and 4th goals and not great on the 2nd.  Definitely happy we have Baxter, a great signing by IE.

The 1st goal we conceded is horrendous tactics by IE, can't blame the players, clearly an instruction as those opportunities are happening increasingly for the opposition.  I wish teams had adopted the non-marking strategy when we had the likes of Sneekes, Thompson, Frandsen on the edge of the box! 

2nd goal we conceded do you mean? First one looked a bit unlucky with the deflection to the edge and then our player not quite getting there on time. But the second goal is doing my head in. The way we defend set pieces is nuts. We pack everyone back in the box to the extent it's not just leaving them without any threat of a counter, but there's not even pressure on men on the edge of the box, as per Tuesday's second goal.

I saw it at Burton even for throw ins, and we'd generally clear the first throw in, but then one of their defenders would have an unopposed chance to cross it in again.

I get people on here saying it'll be because the stats say you dont statistically score from corner counter attacks, and they may even say you concede fewer goals when packing your own box. But this is one where I'd want to forensically dive into the stats to see whether they're accounting for second or even third phase play I.e. Burton getting that second cross in which might give them another corner and they score on the second phase of that because of continued pressure. Versus a counter attack that comes to nothing but moves us up the pitch, leading to a goal in a few phases time. It's just one where the stats cannot possibly be right as it looks so obviously wrong when watching it

Edited by Stig

15 minutes ago, Stig said:

2nd goal we conceded do you mean? First one looked a bit unlucky with the deflection to the edge and then our player not quite getting there on time. But the second goal is doing my head in. The way we defend set pieces is nuts. We pack everyone back in the box to the extent it's not just leaving them without any threat of a counter, but there's not even pressure on men on the edge of the box, as per Tuesday's second goal.

I saw it at Burton even for throw ins, and we'd generally clear the first throw in, but then one of their defenders would have an unopposed chance to cross it in again.

I get people on here saying it'll be because the stats say you dont statistically score from corner counter attacks, and they may even say you concede fewer goals when packing your own box. But this is one where I'd want to forensically dive into the stats to see whether they're accounting for second or even third phase play I.e. Burton getting that second cross in which might give them another corner and they score on the second phase of that because of continued pressure. Versus a counter attack that comes to nothing but moves us up the pitch, leading to a goal in a few phases time. It's just one where the stats cannot possibly be right as it looks so obviously wrong when watching it

Yes apologies the 2nd goal conceded not the 1st, I've edited it now.  No complaints with 1st goal, just a great strike after an unlucky deflection.  Glad its not just me that's driven mad by the non-marking tactic.  It winds me up when watching any game on TV when they do that, and I always used to say "thank god we don't do that" and sure enough we do now.  11 back is bad enough, as you say no chance to break as well as keeper getting over crowded so he can't get a clear view, but to then leave them queuing up for a shot makes it baffling.  Carlisle benefitted too, those 2 goals are a big proportion of goals conceded from open play in last few weeks.

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Stig said:

But this is one where I'd want to forensically dive into the stats to see whether they're accounting for second or even third phase play

i'm absolutely sure they are digging deeper than you or I could be arsed