Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

All Seater Stadiums

This may be another area I may wish to look at for my dissertation.

Why is it only a rule for Prem clubs to have all seater grounds?

What is the ruling on it for European Cup Games, do they also have to be all seater stadiums?

Has any club challenged the FA's (?) decision to have a standing terrace at their ground?

The whole point of my diss 'may' be the effect all seater stadiums has had on the fans.

Sue, all seater stadiums have had a total negative effect on fans, it is difficult to get behind your team whilst sat down, there should be a provision for people who want to stand up, as long as the numbers in that section were cotrolled i.e. don't let scousers in it would be OK. You know as well as I do that atmosphere at grounds, sorry stadiums around the country has diminished with the all seater rule

One seldom touched-upon aspect of this is the fact that having gone many years now without big crowds in standing areas, I suspect that people have forgotten the art of safely standing in a packed crowd.

This occurred to me when in the latter years of Burnden we had some fairly big Paddock crowds (though nowt to compare with the late 70s) and as people filed out there were often some panicy moments amongst many people who clearly had Hillsborough on their mind. The clear message was that people had forgotten - or never knew - the art of going with the flow of a big crowd on the move. If you doubt that art, just look at tv footage of the Kop in the 60s/70s - the ebbs and flows of the crowd there were like waves breaking on the terraces.

Anyone think there will ever be a time when terraces could be reintroduced?

Have there been instances (apart from Hillsborough and Burnden) when large amounts of people have died as a result of overcrowding on terraces?

• Moderators

the new allianz areana in munich is all seater but can have terraces "at the touch of a button"

maybe look into that, but if they do it, why can't we?

So you want us to do it for you?

I'm taking it that was directed at me!

Opinions is all I want, maybe that's asking too much! ](*,) I'm harldy going to hand in a dissertation from asking 3 poxy Q's on here am I????

One seldom touched-upon aspect of this is the fact that having gone many years now without big crowds in standing areas, I suspect that people have forgotten the art of safely standing in a packed crowd.

This occurred to me when in the latter years of Burnden we had some fairly big Paddock crowds (though nowt to compare with the late 70s) and as people filed out there were often some panicy moments amongst many people who clearly had Hillsborough on their mind. The clear message was that people had forgotten - or never knew - the art of going with the flow of a big crowd on the move. If you doubt that art, just look at tv footage of the Kop in the 60s/70s - the ebbs and flows of the crowd there were like waves breaking on the terraces.

Very poetic Satan.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.