Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Since The Turn Of The Year...

Bobcat

• Site Supporter

i dont believe sammy philosophy is to play with 2 wide men. yes its 442 but with a single winger.

many times, nolan would tuck in to make the usual 3 in the centre allowing vaz/diouf to get further forward.

IMO :roll:

It seemed like Lee wanted to stamp his authority on the team/club/Big Sam and show the world who was boss from day 1. It seemed he thought the best way to do this was to change the formation to the 4-4-2 system. Unfortantely in the first half we didnt have the players to pull this off.

A midfield of Speed, Nolan, Vaz Te, McCann was never going to give you enough shape or width to get away with playing the 5 in midfield Newcastle lined up with (Milner had more freedom than an Migrant in Oxford). Vaz Te doesnt have any discipline or heart to play anything other than up front (and was consistently out of position), and the other 3 are too central. It was only when Diouf came on that the 4-4-2 actually started to look like it could work, as he offered more balance and a good get out ball.

Lee needs to be a little more patient and not try to rush the change until he has "his" players fully available, which I feel he tried to do on Saturday

]

we should have matched newcastles formation, i said that on friday and if we would have gone 4-3-3, I am sure we would have been better than newcastle and would have won the game, the time to change the system is when we have got some points on board after 10 games then slowly bring in the likes of wilhelmson and braaten.

i dont believe sammy philosophy is to play with 2 wide men. yes its 442 but with a single winger.

many times, nolan would tuck in to make the usual 3 in the centre allowing vaz/diouf to get further forward.

I thought the same.

My concern is that Little Sammy is being a bit of a dreamer, and falling into the trap of appeasing the critics in the media and to a smaller extent the fans, in trying to play 'nice' football when our better players e.g. Nolan, Davies, Speed (to a degree) are not suited to it. If he sells Faye then I will worry that he doesn't appreciate to win in the Prem you need to be stong and tough physically.

Also, if we are to be a success playing this way then it will be most likely down to outstanding individual players. Someone like Braaten, Wilhelmsson, Guthrie, Diouf together with Anelka will have to play outstandingly well for us to get into the top 8. But then what happens when bigger clubs offer far higher salaries? Judging from the Ben Haim, Faye, Jussi situations we will lose them, and we won't be able to compete in the market to replace them.

At least playing the methodical way we did before we made our more talented players look worse than they were and thus didn't attract vultures from richer clubs too much.

If we are to have highly talented individuals playing attractive passing football then we will have to have a wage structure that allows them to be paid in line with richer clubs, once they become stars.

All this negative talk!!!!!

Yes, he has signed some utter garbage, but if you have little money, what do you expect. He couldn't go out and bring in 1 or 2 people who might improve the first XI. So he did the next best thing and beefed up the feeble squad.

I don't think Sammy brought in wingers to spite Sam, he did it mainly due to pressure from the board. Fans were staying away and moaning ab out the 8-1-1 of BSA.

Sure, McCann, Samuel etc ate poor players, but let us look at the positives. The wingers didn't have permits, so they come into thew equation. Andranik to come back. Diouf will be back now that Vaz te has blown yet another chance.

We have to be honest, top 8 is possible but unlikely. Look at how many of the middle teams got injections of cash. City, West Ham, Villa, Everton etc, should be rights finish above us. Maybe they will, maybe they won't.

Sammy is the manager and let's back him until a time when it appears to be going Roy MacFarland. A win on Weds and suddenly the season looks a lot different.

• Moderators

Yes, he has signed some utter garbage, but if you have little money, what do you expect. He couldn't go out and bring in 1 or 2 people who might improve the first XI. So he did the next best thing and beefed up the feeble squad.

I don't think Sammy brought in wingers to spite Sam, he did it mainly due to pressure from the board. Fans were staying away and moaning ab out the 8-1-1 of BSA.

Sure, McCann, Samuel etc ate poor players, but let us look at the positives. The wingers didn't have permits, so they come into thew equation. Andranik to come back. Diouf will be back now that Vaz te has blown yet another chance.

We have to be honest, top 8 is possible but unlikely. Look at how many of the middle teams got injections of cash. City, West Ham, Villa, Everton etc, should be rights finish above us. Maybe they will, maybe they won't.

Sammy is the manager and let's back him until a time when it appears to be going Roy MacFarland. A win on Weds and suddenly the season looks a lot different.

trust me, relegation, which IS going to happen if he keeps letting the better players go, will cost us more than 10k a week stayaways

aye but we started with stats - actually I make it 18 games in the PL in 2007 with the record P18, W4, D5, L9, F 20, A 35, Pts 17, which in the end is as bad as Bobcat suggested - and they don't lie. Extend that to 38 games and you get 36 Pts and a GD of -32. Of course that doesn't mean much necessarily - but it cannot be ignored.

• Moderators
trust me, relegation, which IS going to happen if he keeps letting the better players go, will cost us more than 10k a week stayaways

as has been said already, I don't think we've let them go, they've gone because they want to - there was nothing we could've done to stop Ben Haim leaving and it seems we can do little to stop Faye leaving - perhaps they know the players better than we do and it's better to cash in on Faye now, whereas it was better to keep hold of Ben Haim and Jussi in terms of them still wanting to play for us

whatever the reason for them leaving, theyre leaving

and i reckon we're becoming weaker, not stronger

and that worries me

Agree. Worse thing is, Allardyce probably knows all of their exact contract details and therefore is in a position to easily outbid our board and offer better wages, etc.

This might sound very, very silly - but if we had beaten Newcastle, I don't think Faye would have considered a move up North East. But just maybe, he saw something on Saturday that changed his mind.

• Moderators
whatever the reason for them leaving, theyre leaving

and i reckon we're becoming weaker, not stronger

and that worries me

aye, but this all began last april, just no one wanted to believe it...

you sure about that? thought we chased sorin last summer when he wanted 35k and we offered 25k, be surprised if we went after and that his demands went up after being contracted to Hamburg who'd have wanted a fee on top

Absolutely....I got this from someone in the boardroom on Saturday when I asked a question over what BS had said in the tabloids on Sat morn...about us not pushing on from being fourth in the league in January.

My question was .."who did he want to sign".....and Sibierski and Sorin were thhe only names.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.