Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Fans Running The Club...

alibob

Visit My Website

Fans' community website MyFootballClub has agreed a deal to take over Blue Square Premier outfit Ebbsfleet United.

The 20,000 MyFootballClub members have each paid ?35 to provide a ?700,000 takeover pot and they will all own an equal share in the club.

Members will have a vote on transfers as well as player selection and all major decisions.

"We are united in believing this is a great opportunity," Ebbsfleet chairman Jason Botley told BBC Sport.

Intervierw: Birmingham City co-owner David Sullivan

"This extra finance and support will enable our club to progress."

The deal is expected to be completed in a few weeks after a due diligence process and the website will purchase a 51% controlling stake, while also having the option to buy the club outright in the future.

The takeover is a landmark for English football, given the website's stated intention of involving the members so radically in the running of the club, particularly with team selection.

Picking 11 players and formations isn't a precise science

Ebbsfleet boss Liam Daish

After the takeover goes through the current board will stay in place, as will manager Liam Daish, although his title will change to head coach.

Daish insisted that he was happy for fans to have an input on team matters.

"Picking 11 players and formations isn't a precise science and luck often plays its part," stated the Ebbsfleet boss.

"During and after matches, Ebbsfleet supporters often give me their opinion on which players should or shouldn't start games. Now they can have their say.

"My job won't change that much. As a club, we'll select the starting 11 players and formation together.

"But just as before, what goes on at the training ground and in the dressing room on the day of the match is down to me.

"It's the supporters' money that finances this club and pays my wages and those of the players.

"So there's a good argument for them having a say in what players they want to see."

Ebbsfleet were formerly Gravesend and Northfleet but the club's name was changed in May in a bid to tap into the regeneration of the area.

They are currently ninth in the Blue Square Premier, six points off a play-off place for entry to the Football League.

Daish played for Portsmouth, Birmingham and Coventry and has five caps for the Republic of Ireland

And Ebbsfleet's push for a spot in League Two will receive a boost as some of the funds raised by MyFootballClub members will be available in the January transfer window.

MyFootballClub members will be given the option to vote on who the club should buy.

Daish added that he was fully behind the radical model for the club.

"We all agree we need something extra to take us to the next step," he said.

"As a football fan, I think the MyFootballClub idea is fantastic.

"As the coach, I look forward to the challenge of working with thousands of members to produce a winning team.

"My assistant Alan Kimble and myself are 100% committed to making this work."

Since the website's launch in April, 50,000 members have signed up, with 20,000 of those paying the registration fee.

The membership subscription is paid annually so new members can join and become owners at any time, adding to the club's finances.

MyFootballClub was approached by nine clubs and looked into seven of those before opting to take over Ebbsfleet.

The Financial Services Authority has approved the setting up of the MyFootballClub Trust to safeguard members' interests in the eventuality of the club running into financial difficulties.

"The MyFootballClub ownership model is an innovative way of funding a lower league club," said Dan Jones, partner at Deloitte and editor of the Annual Review of Football Finance.

"Reports of having raised over ?700,000 in 11 weeks suggests it is viable too.

"Deloitte has been following its progress with interest and we're now looking forward to offering our experience in football finance to assist with advice and guidance during the due diligence process."

MyFootballClub creator Will Brooks added: "We hope that MyFootballClub members and Ebbsfleet supporters will join forces and make the football club more sustainable and successful."

Jessica McQueen, Ebbsfleet United Supporters' Trust chair commented: "Being a Trust, our members understand the MyFootballClub concept immediately.

"We very much look forward to working with the MyFootballClub members for the benefit of Ebbsfleet United."

I saw this advertised a while ago, at the time I thought it was the most ridiculous idea ever. I've not changed my mind. The fact that people, who know nothing about running a club/team will have some sort of input in team selection and transfers is bizzare and laughable. If they lose, will there be a poll "should we sack the manager" ?

Just seen ebbsfleets manager on ssn. He's now retitled head coach and looks slightly pissed off despite his 'it can only be positive for the club' style statements.

Nailed on this idea will fail. Just imagine if this board was to run the whites!?!?! We'd have nat lofthouse dustin his owd boots off next week to put the ball in the munich net.

Not half, just certain parts of the ground once the nazi style segregation is implemented. idiots over there, chavs over there, flask of tea types over there, goat worriers over there.....

theres more than one? would wimmin get their own section too? (AND NOT UNDER THE STANDS SERVING THE TEA/BEER!)

• Site Supporter
Fans' community website MyFootballClub has agreed a deal to take over Blue Square Premier outfit Ebbsfleet United.

The 20,000 MyFootballClub members have each paid ?35 to provide a ?700,000 takeover pot and they will all own an equal share in the club.

Wanderersways currently have 1,974 members. If we knock it down to 1,973 thus not allowing Natasha to join in, we could all raise three shillings and sixpence to buy Bolton. How about it?

Wanderersways currently have 1,974 members. If we knock it down to 1,973 thus not allowing Natasha to join in, we could all raise three shillings and sixpence to buy Bolton. How about it?

Howd on a minute, Michael. Who, out of the 1,973 members would you actually trust to look after our three shillings and sixpence?

Let's be honest, it'd pissed up a wall within hours by the majority on here. That's probably a better way of spending it, to be fair, but just a point.

• Site Supporter
Howd on a minute, Michael. Who, out of the 1,973 members would you actually trust to look after our three shillings and sixpence?

Let's be honest, it'd pissed up a wall within hours by the majority on here. That's probably a better way of spending it, to be fair, but just a point.

It is just a point, but nonetheless a point well made. I'd take it upon myself to look after the funds if only because it's not payday for a couple of days. :pardon:

• Site Supporter

i posted info about this a while back, but decided against joining.

but now (rightly or wrongly) ive just paid my ?35 and become the co-owner of Ebbsfleet United.

there are lots of answers on the members section as to how things are gonna work, and the creators seem an extremely committed bunch.

anybody else gonna buy-in?

bit of info from the members section

Hi and welcome.

This is a short thread to read if you have just joined.

As you will notice quickly there is a lot of energy on this site and that is because of the overwhelming enthusiasm to succeed. You will also notice that some people are critical of the chaos and appear to think that they have bought in to a ready formed company instead of being the ones who are shaping and creating it.

You will notice a lack of jargon and abbreviations.

Some of people have said that they feel a bit out posting for the first time; don’t worry people will react well if you are constructive and if you are negative right from the off you will still get a response. I have never posted on to forums until I splashed down here and they all spoke to me.

Here are some extracts from some stuff I have posted I hope that in some way they are helpful.

But the most important thing is get stuck in, contribute and help to shape our endeavour.

Ideas

I think the price of admission should be comparable to the price of the local cinema or such like amenity. We will be in the entertainment business and offering 90 minutes entertainment. Too many clubs are taking the fans for granted in this respect.

The problem for us is that the prices will be set when we take over and if we vote to reduce them the season ticket holders will need a refund of some sorts.

I also think we should argue as a club for safe terracing to be introduced instead of all seated stadiums. If need be patrician the governing bodies; if it’s good enough for Germany, Italy, and all the rest; its good enough for us and it will bring / keep a better atmosphere.

Other clubs

As A Rangers supporter I have to say this is not the place for this topic. Sorry this is not a Rangers, Celtic, ManU, LPool or any other club Forum. Unless we are playing them or trying to buy 1 of their players. I don't mean to be rude but go to a Scottish football forum for indepth discussion about this.

We should be discussing the club we are about to buy.

Process

We are all in this process together and waiting can be difficult. As you probably trawl through the many threads you will be comforted at time and at times new food for concerns will appear. I ask that all of us demonstrate something that is almost vanished in our modern life; Trust.

Best case scenario is that we will have almost total control and this project will be a flying success with all premier league managers getting concerned for their jobs (:::::lol:::::). The worst scenario is that it is a unmitigated disaster and we loose ?35 in one year but we have be part of a failed but historic event. I feel that it will be somewhere in the middle of the spectrum with successes and failure going hand in hand. I also believe that it will be a long term success because no one appears to be afraid of asking the hard questions, debating the merits of an idea and through the anonymity of the internet voting the way they feel is right.

No one person can dominate, thus bending the project to their will and derailing it. This is one of those projects where there is no financial reward but only the pleasure of doing the right thing and enjoying it when it works out well. No egos will be massaged, no vanities indulged, because the internet has taken out most of the personal dynamics ( at least 80% of communication is body language) and this is a good thing. This will allow us all to be more objective to how to achieve success.

We are in a holding pattern at the moment; the actual club chosen will appear in time, then our year of mulling over every aspect of the club will begin, with all it’s multiple problems, opportunities and decisions to be made relating to these. Maybe many sleepless nights await us all because of a club that is far away from us but because we have a say in whether it lives and fights it way to success or fails and stays where it is.

Language

Maybe I am in the minority here but I like the robustness of some of the exchanges.

It’s straight up, to the point and an honest demonstration of feeling. If you talk to football fans in Britain and are being annoying; you will be told where to go. Maybe this is part of our football culture; and yes it can be rude, and blunt. This site is not a corporate insurance site or like E Bay, so when you are in an argument you get polite corporate speak. I don’t think the web team have overstepped the mark at all. Just wait till you come over and see us(the members as I am not part of the web team) in the pub with a few pints in us, then it will be rum language big style.

Edited by HomerJay

but now (rightly or wrongly) ive just paid my ?35 and become the co-owner of Ebbsfleet United.

there are lots of answers on the members section as to how things are gonna work, and the creators seem an extremely committed bunch.

I would like this to work as it is the opposite of the way that the corrupt football hierarchy works at the moment. Can't believe that 20,000 or however members will really get an input to team selection on a regular basis. But manager's under-performing favourites should become a thing of the past. Still may put in my 35 notes as an experiment.

I would like this to work as it is the opposite of the way that the corrupt football hierarchy works at the moment. Can't believe that 20,000 or however members will really get an input to team selection on a regular basis. But manager's under-performing favourites should become a thing of the past. Still may put in my 35 notes as an experiment.

I'm not having that - it's hardly like the members / shareholders are all Ebbsfleet fans through and through. Would these people all want to pump more money in the club like Eddie Davies has had to do?

The idea is right, but for me it would only be truly aspirational for a football club if all members were such due to their passion for the club - not sure if it's exactly right but like Barcelona maybe??

Frankly this is just a shitty media-exercise. Give it a couple of years and everyone will have lost interest.

I'm not having that - it's hardly like the members / shareholders are all Ebbsfleet fans through and through. Would these people all want to pump more money in the club like Eddie Davies has had to do?

The idea is right, but for me it would only be truly aspirational for a football club if all members were such due to their passion for the club - not sure if it's exactly right but like Barcelona maybe??

Frankly this is just a shitty media-exercise. Give it a couple of years and everyone will have lost interest.

But does it matter if the members actually support Ebbsfleet? Apparently this campaign has raised over ?700,000. Bearing in mind that the record transfer in that particular league is just ?17,000, this gives you some idea of the spending power they now have.

But does it matter if the members actually support Ebbsfleet?

I'd say it does. It's alright putting your 30 odd notes in now and the club having money to spend this season but with folk saying they have less expendable income to watch their own team, what will the reply be when asked next season if they can dig a little deeper because the stand needs refurbing, the pitch needs resurfacing, the microwave for warming the pies up needs fixing etc etc

I'd say it does. It's alright putting your 30 odd notes in now and the club having money to spend this season but with folk saying they have less expendable income to watch their own team, what will the reply be when asked next season if they can dig a little deeper because the stand needs refurbing, the pitch needs resurfacing, the microwave for warming the pies up needs fixing etc etc

Yup - they're there for novelty value - it's not a sustainable policy int he slightest

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.