Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Brian Clough

Cloughy

Good piece on Old Big 'Ead.

Hated Forest as a kid because they nicked that promotion from us but he was a great manager, a funny bloke and he cracked Roy Keane once.

Off to see the 44 Days film when it's released & will get round to giving the book back to JJ Oghani someday.

Edited by Whites man

Isn't the film quite a bit different from the book? I heard Michael Sheen on the radio the other day and he wa talking about trying to show the comedic side of Clough that isn't shown in the book. I don't think they could have translated the book directly into a film anyhow.

According to some people who know Clough a lot of the book is pure fiction although I think Duncan McKenzie does agree that Clough tried to recruit him to be the dressing room nark.

Dont make em like they used to, not many characters like him around nowadays. Imagine Fabregas spitting at somebody like Brian Clough?

me favourite Clough story was the time his lot (presumably Forest) were away at Millwall - when Millwall away was summat to be feared. He gets the coach driver to park up half mile from the ground and leads his players on the walk through the streets to the ground as a show/test of bottle.

Forest played a reserve game at Burnden about 1982. He was sat in the directors box in the Manny Rd stand.

It was not long after Clough had been doing the Chocolate Buttons adverts on tv.

Me & my mates were stood below him.

I shouted "Brian, I'm only a chocolate button" (those of a certain age will remember the advert!).

He shouted back "Pillock"

It was feckin hilarious at the time.........

:D

Great manager. Looking forward to watching the film.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.