Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Saturday 11Th June Racing

• Members

Sure fire formula for the Roodee is to follow those with form there. Just check out the previous course and course and distance winners and you won't go far wrong Hazzy.

May last two visits there resulted in 1 bet, 1 winner and 3 bets, 3 winners. I can even remember the names of two of the three winners that day and it must be close to 25 years ago! (What Speed and Limerick Lady). Second of those was trained by Reg Hollinshead I think (Christ, the useless information you store!!!???).

Edited by bolty58

Low draw in sprint races have an advantage (edit to say Chester, not York)

They do, but not as much as an advantage as people think.

If the horses in stalls 3-6 get away quickly, they'll cut across those in 1 & 2 at the first bend. Stalls 3-5 are more favourable than 1 & 2 IMO.

If the horses in stalls 3-6 get away quickly, they'll cut across those in 1 & 2 at the first bend. Stalls 3-5 are more favourable than 1 & 2 IMO.

Nice on Traf - I'll bear that in mind.

Also, I'm off to Haydock for the day tomorrow - Any tips for there?

Nice on Traf - I'll bear that in mind.

Also, I'm off to Haydock for the day tomorrow - Any tips for there?

Haydock, you say?

Rather you than me, mate. Probably my least favourite racecourse.

If I was inclined that way, I'd probably consider these tomorrow:

2.20: Udabaa (9/4): Knocking on the door, getting places on last 2 runs: every chance. WINNER :thumbsup:

2.50: Al Jemailiya (16/1 E/W): Ran well on debut, finished 3rd over 5f. Looked like needing more: this is 6f, so should suit.

3.20: Tough race to call: plenty with chances, but I'd be looking at Line of Duty: N/R (6/1) who won well last time at York in a big field and Dansili Dancer (7/1) who looks well weighted at a track he likes.

3.50: Looks like a poor race and I'd just take a small punt on the likely fav: Wild Coco (6/4) WINNER :thumbsup: who finished strongly running into 2nd on debut at Newmarket 4 weeks ago.

4.20: Another very open race (1 mile), but my slight preference would be for Magic Cat (8/1) WON at 10/1! :yahoo: who has the stamina needed here: won a 6f handicap on heavy ground and was 3rd last time at Haydock over 7f.

4.50: Not sure here, but I'd side with Bold Marc (7/1) WINNER! :yahoo: a dual winner over course & distance. Will need to be on top of his game to get home, but should provide a good run for your money.

These are not tips, but just how I see the races! Back them or leave them: it's your call!

Edited by Traf

on the home straight the rails now jink innwards which mean horse held up can go inside or outside the leaders whereas in the past they had to go round the outside, which is like being in lane 4or 5 in a 400 meters race with no staggered started. Horses have more chance of coming from behind, but as you say still a good course for fast starting front runners.

chester used to be one of my most succesful meetings, still a very good day out we are there end of month for the saturday meeting.

Traf,

I'll give you your due - you know your onions/racehorses!

Believe it or not, I didn't get chance to look at your tips on here before I went, but inadvertantly ended up picking a few of them anyway.

Had Udabaa - 5/4 fav on course in the 2.20, Magic Cat @ 7-1 & Bold Marc came in @ 10/1 - Although as my name is Marc, that was always a shout for me anyway! On the strength of your tips I'll still buy you that drink if I see you!

Now to prove you're not a one trick pony - I'm off to Chester tomorrow - Any suggestions?!! PS. Whatever they are, I'm on them!

OK: ladies, gayers & cuntshovellers, this is my take on York: it might be good advice like Haydock was, or it might be pure shite like my 0/7 at Market Rasen on Friday!

York:

2.10: I'd have smashed into Just Lille at 16/1, but it's now a N/R, so I'd look at Antigua Sunrise at 12/1 E/W: a very consistent sort who should give a good run for your money.but never really got into it and finished 9th!

2.40: Not an attractive race to me, but I'd probably go with Confront who has ran really well in some good quality races in the past and looks a bit long at 9/1. E/W available if you like! WINNER! :D

3.15: Pin-stickers paradise! Put the names in a hat and draw one out. A 20-runner 6f dash which looks wide open. If pushed to have a punt here, it'd be Majestic Myles: good form and top yard/jockey available at 10/1 Just missed out on a place in the final scrum!. I'd also be slightly interested in Madany at 22/1, depending on whether he's in the mood or not!

3.50: Sea Moon should piss this, but at 4/5 I'm not interested. For a bit of E/W value, I'd take some of the 14/1 about Adaria who will stay the trip, as will Flag Officer at 9/1.

4.25: A terrible looking race on paper. Swiss Spirit will be a short-priced fav and should win, but for value look elsewhere. Dicky Mint at 6/1 looks the best of those with race experience, whilst Ventura Spirit seems like an interesting newcomer with Hanagan on board at 10/1.

5.00: Another poor looking race, but I feel Layla Jamil is overpriced at 7/1, so that's where my punt would go.

5.30: Penalised for recent great form: Collect Art is on a roll with 4 wins & 2 places in 6 races in the last 4 weeks. In fact his form since the turf season started reads 1232131211. Very consistent and should go well again at 4/1. If you want a longer E/W punt, you could do worse than Steelcut at 14/1.

All in all, a tricky meeting to call, but fingers crossed, there's a profit in there.

Chester to follow...

Edited by Traf

Chester:

2.15: Granny McPhee has won here before, which is always useful. This is a bit longer than she normally prefers, but providing she stays in touch it looks a decent bet at 4/1 to overturn the favourite.

2.45: Shere Khan's breeding suggests this will be a good horse. Placed in both previous outings and well drawn here, looks good at 3/1. Nearly A Gift could offer some E/W value at 15/2[/b]

3.20: Julius Geezer is the 10/1 outsider here and is a decent sort, but appears to have lost his way. On his day, he'd take this race, but is this his day? Small E/W punt, I reckon. Fred Willetts at 4/1 is the more likely winner, just pipped late on here last time around.

3.55: 2 stand out for me here: one as a straight win proposition: Opera Gal at 5/1: a consistent placer who has won handicaps over Course & Distance and an E/W shot in Jutland at 12/1: also a C&D Handicap winner just last month.

4.30: Not the best on show here, but 8/1 looks too big for Opus Maximus, so that's my punt.

5.05: Barkston Ash will be a short priced fav after winning 3 in a row, but I'd take him on with Murbeh who was considered good enough to run in listed company at Ascot: decent price on offer at around 4/1.

5.40: An absolutely wide open handicap which would be hard enough to call normally, compounded by the fact that it's for fillies only: temperamental sorts with whom the form book goes out of the window. So, bearing that in mind: just a small E/W punt on Princess Lexi at 8/1.

Best of luck!

The York meeting looks a better one than this.

• Members

Based on the 'horses for courses' nature of Chester, I would definitely be backing Trafs first four selections at Chester (although his second pick in the third). In fact, I may do so if I can stay awake long enough :D