Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Germany V Italy

tarian1979

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that surprising.

Germany v Portugal, even game, last 20 minutes Portugal battered them. but won 1-0, sign of a good team.

V Holland, decent performance, nothing special like, game decided by Gomez's finishing

V Denmark, poorish, could have lost if Denmark get penalty.

V Greece, stunning performance

V Italy gone close to scoring but look poor defensively

---

only Italy performance which wasn't that great was the draw with Croatia, they gave Spain a real game

Edited by Didledee

They did look very good against Spain tbf, but I reckon Germany would have been most peoples choice? Haven't seen the odds.

Makes me feel a bit better about England watching this, bizarely.

I know it's been said many, many times but fcuk me Mark Lawrenson is one annoying, miserable, boring twat!

Yup I can just imagine skd beating the offside trap, outpacing the defender the smashing it in the roof of the net from 20 yards

No one in their right mind would leave K.Davies upfield for counter opportunities in that situation.

N'Gog and Petrov,

Edited by Didledee

Hot Shot Hamish never kicked a ball as hard as that Balotelli shot. Nearly burst the fooking net!

He could always rely on Mighty Mouse though

Gutted about tonight; I really thought my Gomez/Germany double was on

The Italians have done very well so far, but I fear the final will be a damp squib

The first time either keeper kicked the ball out from his hands was when Buffon did so in the 74th minute....

Should be kicking it long all the time, miss out the entire defence and midfield and hope for a flick on.

#inlovewithdirectpunts

Edited by Didledee

Got in at 11pm tonight having watched Phantom of the opera at me daughters school she just left. Managed to avoid hearing the score and watched highlights on itv +1

Fuck me I just luv tournament football!

Never ever seen the Germans buckling under the weight of expectation and boy they did tonight. I sort of raised an eyebrow when he changed the team around for the the QF but thought it was just German arrogance. Then on the way to the show i heard he had not brought back Muller who was one of their brightest youngsters in 2010 and had not seemingly done much wrong in the qualifiers. Trouble in the Kampf?

But Italy are a together squad who have played as one and done what most finalists or winners do and thats get better as the tournament goes on. Mario B delivered tonight in a top top game, something that our English superstars like Rooney, Gazza' Shearer et al have never done at international level in QF's or semis.

A final thought! For all the want of a mid season break blah blah. The Spanish palyers have played far more games and look fitter than us, the Italians looked fitter than us. In fact for the first time in 60 years we look slower and have less fitness than our opposition no matter what the temperature is. Rooney looked fucked, no doubt his 20 B&H a day and 6 Buds in Vegas dragged his fitness down which he couldnt recover on his return.

• Members

The Italians have done very well so far, but I fear the final will be a damp squib

The loose cannon Balotelli made all the difference. I note, however, that no one mentions the statistic that Germany have never beaten Italy in a major tournament until after the game. You have to hand it to the eye ties - they played brilliantly well. All about pedigree innit.

Damp squib? No mate - it will be an absolute orgy of diving, cheating histrionics. Compelling viewing.

Got in at 11pm tonight having watched Phantom of the opera at me daughters school she just left. Managed to avoid hearing the score and watched highlights on itv +1

Fuck me I just luv tournament football!

Never ever seen the Germans buckling under the weight of expectation and boy they did tonight. I sort of raised an eyebrow when he changed the team around for the the QF but thought it was just German arrogance. Then on the way to the show i heard he had not brought back Muller who was one of their brightest youngsters in 2010 and had not seemingly done much wrong in the qualifiers. Trouble in the Kampf?

But Italy are a together squad who have played as one and done what most finalists or winners do and thats get better as the tournament goes on. Mario B delivered tonight in a top top game, something that our English superstars like Rooney, Gazza' Shearer et al have never done at international level in QF's or semis.

A final thought! For all the want of a mid season break blah blah. The Spanish palyers have played far more games and look fitter than us, the Italians looked fitter than us. In fact for the first time in 60 years we look slower and have less fitness than our opposition no matter what the temperature is. Rooney looked fucked, no doubt his 20 B&H a day and 6 Buds in Vegas dragged his fitness down which he couldnt recover on his return.

Probably a tad bit harsh. Rooney I agree 100% with. But Gazza was outstanding against Cameroon and West Germany in 1990 and Germany in 96. Shearer played a belter in the same game in 96 and both him and Gazza scored in the shootout in that match.I hate bandwagaon jumping and there will be a lot doing this right now with Pirlo. But I must admit, the bloke has been fantastic in this tournament. This will probably sound complete bollocks but hear me out on this one. He looks like the best bits of Campo and Holden put together into one player. By that I mean he sits deep like Campo, wins the ball and knocks the ball long and gets the attack moving. Starting the attack from deep. Not just a deep lying midfielder who always looks for the three yard pass. Granted he is much more composed on the ball. However, if the pass isn't on, he can put his foot on it, shield the ball and play a simple pass. Like Holden, he just NEVER seems to give the ball away, something the English team need to learn how to do if they want to compete at this level.So there you go, Pirlo learnt most of what he knows of our Ivan. Yes, I've had a beer tonight.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.