Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Olympic Games

gonzo

Every point you've made applies equally to the other girl.

After your big walking down the garden path exercise, it seems the only point you're making is to accuse me of simply looking with hindsight, and being sufficiently simple to assume that the favourite must win.

In practice I have given an example where someone who understood the event and thought through the permutations of tie breaks could see that the 2nd favourite in the market was much more likely to win than the favourite.

Your argument literally hinges on an assumption of perfect information. You're very welcome to it, but I can't help but feel I've had some of my morning wasted.

No. Wrong

In your opinion she was more likely to win. Theres nothing wrong with that, it was your opinion. Thats all it was though, that doesnt make the market wrong.

If you think the person who did the market didnt know everything you have posted(and more) then you're deluded.

How strange

Anyway, nearly over.

In hindsight, I wish that I had organised tickets for something,anything, but it has been great watching from home.

We have become the country that I always thought we could be and I am deeply proud.

No. Wrong

In your opinion she was more likely to win. Theres nothing wrong with that, it was your opinion. Thats all it was though, that doesnt make the market wrong.

If you think the person who did the market didnt know everything you have posted(and more) then you're deluded.

It's betfair - there's no 1 person who 'did the market'

To summarise -

You think betfair is absolutely always a 100% accurate reflection of the best available information at that time.

You think I am fucking thick for suggesting that very occasionally, in niche events, the market can misprice probabilities.

Fine.

It's betfair - there's no 1 person who 'did the market'

Again, a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

There are times on betfair when market is done by one person. What you said is factually incorrect.

To summarise -

You think betfair is absolutely always a 100% accurate reflection of the best available information at that time.

Nope, I dont think that, otherwise I wouldn't spend upto 12 hours a day, 7 days a week on there.

Betfair can be wrong. Unfortunately I, nor anyone else can state when it is specifically wrong for a fact (unless there is a price available on something that mathematically cannot happen). I don't know why you of all people (someone who doesnt bet), think on this occasion you can.

You think I am fucking thick for suggesting that very occasionally, in niche events, the market can misprice probabilities.

I think you should get your dictionary out and look up the meaning of the word often, as as far as im concerned it doesn't mean very occasionally.

Well that's a lovely summary of philosophical skepticism. It's not the argument you started out with, and its not one I agree with, buy at least you've now stated it.

As for single market makers - only 1 person may be offering a price, but everyone else in the world is at liberty to do so, and the choice not to do so represents a contribution to the market.

Edited by maaarsh

Well that's a lovely summary of philosophical skepticism. It's not the argument you started out with, and its not one I agree with, buy at least you've now stated it.

As for single market makers - only 1 person may be offering a price, but everyone else in the world is at liberty to do so, and the choice not to do so represents a contribution to the market.

It is the argument I started out with.

Can you explain to me how the opinions betfair aggregates are often wrong?

Come on, show us all how much you know about this....

You still havn't explained to me how opinions betfair aggregates are often wrong.

You have given me one example of why you disagree with the market.

Im still waiting for you to explain how it was wrong.

Garp, I suggest you get some fresh air and stop worrying about me.

I've clearly explained why the market was incorrect in that example, and your only response is to assume that there is no such thing as objective reality, only opinions. As such there is nothing to compare betfair to in your world, so it can not possibly be wrong.

I'm not sure if you understand this implication of what you are saying, but if you do and yet you persist in asking for examples it is really quite childish.

Garp, I suggest you get some fresh air and stop worrying about me.

I've clearly explained why the market was incorrect in that example, and your only response is to assume that there is no such thing as objective reality, only opinions. As such there is nothing to compare betfair to in your world, so it can not possibly be wrong.

I'm not sure if you understand this implication of what you are saying, but if you do and yet you persist in asking for examples it is really quite childish.

No fresh air needed. I love discussing betfair with people who think they know it all.

This is a new one though, Iv never come across someone who knows so much who doesn't even bet!

Its utterly brilliant

Back to ad hominem, great stuff.

I take it from that you understood the above and know exactly what you're doing. Well done, you're arguing A=A, very impressive.

If it gives you professional pride to imagine betfair is too complicated for the common man to comprehend, and only gamblers follow sport, fair enough.

I assume that is a commonly understood phrase, but in that case, Garp is just attacking me rather than what I am saying - he said absolutely 0 about my last post.

In any case either he realises his argument is circular and self serving, in which case there is no point in me discussing with him further, or he does not, in which case there is no point in me discussing with him further.

Back to ad hominem, great stuff.

I take it from that you understood the above and know exactly what you're doing. Well done, you're arguing A=A, very impressive.

If it gives you professional pride to imagine betfair is too complicated for the common man to comprehend, and only gamblers follow sport, fair enough.

Again nope, anyone can understand it like anything in life if they learn about it.

You know about it without even betting! Thats an incredible achievment.

I never once said you didn't know cycling, you know way more than me, that doesn't mean you factually know when a price is wrong and I wanted to point out that you're guessing.

I have done this.

I don't gamble.

why not ?

if you can work out things like you have posted here you would make lots of money.

Think you mentioned that Trott beat her personal best by 0.1 seconds ?

If she has nt would she have won the gold ?

Edited by Ani

why not ?

if you can work out things like you have posted here you would make lots of money.

Think you mentioned that Trott beat her personal best by 0.1 seconds ?

If she has nt would she have won the gold ?

Father had issues with it, so I've promised to never gamble. She would have won if she'd been 0.2 slower than her PB too. But she's 19 and getting better every day; more impressive was her opponant making a good go at it and knocking the same off her PB.