Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Laptop Black Screen Of Death...

gonzo

• 1 year later...

Hmmm...There was a hefty Microsoft update issued a couple of weeks ago - a number of individual patces.  it may have been these installing. I've goty an i7 laptop with 8GB Ram and it took 3 of 4 minutes of apparently doing nothing. If it does it again, leave it be for 15 minutes or so to let it finish

3 so called experts in computer shop can't figure out what's up with my laptop,so I'm offering it out to wways massives.

The screen on my laptop basically goes completely black at any given time.the computer stays running.ie I can still hear the gape tube in the background.

The only way to get it back is to switch it off and on by the power button over and over till it choses to come back on,which I know won't do it any good.

It started off every now and then but now it's all the fooking time.

The lads at the pc shop have ran the laptop through their screens and the same thing happens so it's not a screen fault,they have also cleaned and restored every compartment of the laptop bar the motherboard and it's still happening....so they are saying its probably a fault on the motherboard but can't say for certain and would cost over £250 to replace.

So I ask...does that price sound about right?

Shall I get it done?

Or is there anything else I can try?

Remember before you respond,you are dealing with a full blown spastic when it comes to this kind of stuff,I thought a motherboard was some kind of torture method.

It's a Sony viao and only 2 years old,and out of warranty.

I know it's a long shot...but thanks for listening,tales from the pipside.

Strongly worded email to Sony customer support, explain that it was bought only 2 years ago and hasn't been extensively used. You have researched online and other owners of same model have experienced the same problem and you believe they have been selling laptops with a known fault. They will probably offer to look at it for you free of charge  and may even fix it for free/ exchange it.

Worked for me with Sony in the past

Strongly worded email to Sony customer support, explain that it was bought only 2 years ago and hasn't been extensively used. You have researched online and other owners of same model have experienced the same problem and you believe they have been selling laptops with a known fault. They will probably offer to look at it for you free of charge  and may even fix it for free/ exchange it.

Worked for me with Sony in the past

I reckon he might have got sorted in 16 months or so between his message and your reply. :D

Edited by Traf