Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

At It Again….

Smiley

• Site Supporter

My lad wants to go to a good local secondary school but it is a faith school. Do I drag him to church every Sunday to give him a better chance of getting in or hope he gets in anyway as they have let 15% (or something) in regardless of their non belief of bullshit?

I got kicked out of my RE exam for threatening to smash a teacher all over the car park.

Haha

Same day England fans rioted in Charloi.

I blame Paul Dodd.com

Was that him of Carlisle fame and border patrol?

A catholic one? If he's going to a non-catholic primary it'll be advisable, if it's Canon Slade it's pretty much mandatory to pretend to believe in a big beardy man in the sky (this is not referring to Rolf Harris btw).

If only we had Grammar schools

Brighter kids, especially lads, from what are traditionally termed 'working class' backgrounds will, I argue, always do less well when schooled alongside their less academically gifted peers.

The pressure to 'hide their light under a bushel' and thus not be seen as a swot or stiff or whatever they call kids who want to learn these days, I imagine is immense. I'd venture that in the past grammar schools possibly freed pupils from this unneeded pressure, they felt at liberty to thrive; answering questions, asking questions, being keen, doing homework etc. and not being stifled by a need to remain to be seen as 'cool' or 'one of the lads' by their peers.

I'm only surmising this from my own experience of secondary modern, after grammar schools abolition, perhaps some of the older posters who passed the 11+ and attended a Grammar school may support this theory or dispel it...

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Brighter kids, especially lads, from what are traditionally termed 'working class' backgrounds will, I argue, always do less well when schooled alongside their less academically gifted peers.

The pressure to 'hide their light under a bushel' and thus not be seen as a swot or stiff or whatever they call kids who want to learn these days, I imagine is immense. I'd venture that in the past grammar schools possibly pupils from this unneeded pressure, they felt free to thrive - answering questions, asking questions, being keen, doing homework etc. and not being stifled by a need to remain to be seen as 'cool' or 'one of the lads' by their peers.

I'm only surmising this from my own experience of secondary modern, after grammar schools abolition, perhaps some of the older posters who passed the 11+ and attended a Grammar school may support this theory or dispel it...

Hmm

Difficult to say what might have been, but I would imagine that I did better in that environment. Unfortunately, the ladder etc

The pressure to 'hide their light under a bushel' and thus not be seen as a swot or stiff or whatever they call kids who want to learn these days, I imagine is immense. I'd venture that in the past grammar schools possibly freed pupils from this unneeded pressure, they felt at liberty to thrive; answering questions, asking questions, being keen, doing homework etc. and not being stifled by a need to remain to be seen as 'cool' or 'one of the lads' by their peers.

I came from a rough council estate in Farnworth and went to Bolton School (1980-87) and more than held my own academically before going to Uni.